Neuvation R28 Aero Wheel set

piero said:
If you are in the market of looking at the R28, probably you wanna spend around $400 to $500 on a wheelset and that is definitely the best pick in this price range. It’s far better than the Shimano R500 or R550. Also think about it on the other way, even if you are heavy or riding hard enough to brake any spokes on the R28, it’s $4xx, and that means you can brake 3 full set of R28 to buy one big brand wheels.

That's an interesting comment. You sound very certain that in the $400-$500 range you can't get a better set of wheels. Perhaps you'd care to name (other than the Shimano's you used to have) exactly what wheels you've ridden to make the comparison. I'm not hammering you I'd just like to know where the point of reference comes from.

As an example I can get Velocity Spartacus Pro/Pro Lite wheels for about $450. They weigh in about 50g heavier than the Neuvations, and for $50 or so can be upgraded to CXray spokes bringing the gross weight down below the Neuvations (if you are overly concerned about weight). Not only that you're supporting a world class Australian business (disclaimer - I owned a set for 18months or so and absolutely hammered them as a set of training beaters)

If you can't get past the big brand name thing. Again you can buy a complete set of Shimano 6600's (Ultegra class wheels, or R601's) for less than $500. Again at least comparable quality to the Neuvations (disclaimer - I had a set of loaners for about a month). Or Campagnolo Vento's for $499 (I had the next model up which have basically the same parts and are just a little lighter) and are absolutely indestructable.

Finally you can buy lighter, custom hand built wheels for around the $500 mark, with a guarantee on ongoing service costs etc from ridetwe.com.au where you can actually talk to someone who will make sensible suggestions based on your weight, power and intended use and I will absolutely guarantee that Neuvation wheels don't compare to these.

For what it's worth Piero, I'm really glad that you like your wheels (it always sucks to save your $$ and buy a product for the sport you love and then be disappointed). But unless you've ridden a whole lot of wheels, or done a whole lot of research including talking to people who own specific wheels, don't make sweeping statements like 'these are the best!'. I bought a set of Neuvation wheels based not on $$ but on the fact they had a really good buzz on forums like this and roadbikereview.com etc. I had a few more $$ in my budget than what they actually cost and for me they've been disappointing. They are in my opinion a very decent set of wheels for $400, however the buzz that they compete with much more expensive wheels in my opinion (and as someone who has ridden a lot of wheels) is pretty much not accurate.

I was going to sell mine and replace with a standard set of Mavic Cosmic Elites, but after using a TWE wheel as a replacement in a crit, I spent some time talking them and am going to give them a shot. I'll write a review after picking them up (aparently they'll be built to my spec on the weekend and be ready Monday), and yes I'm still getting rid of the Neuvations!

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
They are in my opinion a very decent set of wheels for $400, however the buzz that they compete with much more expensive wheels in my opinion
--brett
;) is that an agreement on our point of view? This is what I am talking about! and I didn't compare that with any of the $1000+ wheels that you've quoted, as I mentioned earlier and they are in a different market.

It's obviously disappointed if you are originally in the market of buying a pair of Bora, but suddenly comes down to R28.

Anyway, gotta leave it an end. :p

Bro Brett, just PM you.

I have to say that I'm not a lightweight rider though.

I'm 6' and 85kg.... have lost 5kg in the last 4 months. Is the Aero version stronger ? since they have wider spokes and rims ?

No, it's the same rim but the R28SL is spoked 20/24 and the aero is 16/20. Technically looking at the spokes they are the same diameter on the J bend which is where they are most likely to break.

So the R28SL should be a stronger wheel. I've got a set of the aero's going cheap if you want them!

--brett