Never ride a bike in Florida

Maggie

Guest
I arrived home from Florida just before the hurricane arrived near my
aunts home....it was so hot, so humid yet I rode a bike with my
cousins. They seem to have no problem functioning in that dreadful
weather.
I on the other hand think that anyone who rides for miles when it is 90
plus degrees and humid is out of their mind. I am glad I arrived back
at Newark Airport in one piece. I survived the weather out there and
missed the hurricane. My only problem was being in a holding pattern
above Newark Airport for an hour trying to land in Jersey. To all of
you, including my entire extended family, who dare to live in Florida
in the summer....I bow to you. You are brave people. For those who
ride their bikes during the Florida Summers.....I bow twice. To all
who ride out the hurricane seasons....I ask...Why do you live there??
I return each year to see the relatives..but I don't think I have what
it takes to live there...and I am from Jersey. The place no one wants
to visit, except to see NYC. Now my thoughts are with my friends in New
Orleans. Keeping good thoughts this day for those who may lose so
much.

Maggie.

On 29 Aug 2005 09:00:13 -0700, Maggie wrote:

> I on the other hand think that anyone who rides for miles when it is 90
> plus degrees and humid is out of their mind.

Uhm, you just missed (Aug 13?) the hotest day of the year. My friends
and I attempted a Century but abandoned after 97 (we decided to take
the straightest router back at mile 55). We had reports of 100F+ (my
weather station reported 104.9). After that ride I have to agree, we
were out of our minds!

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I arrived home from Florida just before the hurricane arrived near my
> aunts home....it was so hot, so humid yet I rode a bike with my
> cousins. They seem to have no problem functioning in that dreadful
> weather.

Nope, you get used to it. I live in Florida but grew up in south Louisiana,
so it's mild for me here.

> I on the other hand think that anyone who rides for miles when it is 90
> plus degrees and humid is out of their mind.

I do my commute to work and back 3-4 days a week, and it's usually 90+ in
the afternoon. Bike clothes and proper hydration help.

I am glad I arrived back
> at Newark Airport in one piece. I survived the weather out there and
> missed the hurricane. My only problem was being in a holding pattern
> above Newark Airport for an hour trying to land in Jersey. To all of
> you, including my entire extended family, who dare to live in Florida
> in the summer....I bow to you. You are brave people. For those who
> ride their bikes during the Florida Summers.....I bow twice. To all
> who ride out the hurricane seasons....I ask...Why do you live there??

Because you don't have to shovel sunshine. :) Plus it used to be cheap to
live here, until all the Yankees discovered the place and drove property
values up. :)

Mike

It's all in what you like. It will top out at 104 F this afternoon in
Tucson. I got in ~30 miles this morning and need to do a bit more this
aft to check the position on a newly fitted cleat.
Hydration and good clothing makes it doable.
And remember from October until mid May it is just about perfect out
here!

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1125331213.785212.112530
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I on the other hand think that anyone who rides for miles when it is 90
> plus degrees and humid is out of their mind.

There's nothing I love better than to do a ride where i don't have to show
up at the other end looking like like a human being, so i can be a free-
flowing fountain of sweat [actually, a good jersey doesn't leave any sweat
on you until the humidity gets near 95% or so; in my case, I would be
sweating profusely from my scalp] and then jump into the ocean. Florida is
perfect for that, as is Sandy Hook in NEW JERSEY in the summer.
The thing that stops me in Florida is the bugs. Fortunately, Volusia
County has lots of buses with bike racks, so when I'm attacked by the
swarm, i can get back to my Dad's by multimoding it.

--ag

Gooserider wrote:
> "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>To all of
>>you, including my entire extended family, who dare to live in Florida
>>in the summer....I bow to you. You are brave people. For those who
>>ride their bikes during the Florida Summers.....I bow twice. To all
>>who ride out the hurricane seasons....I ask...Why do you live there??

> Because you don't have to shovel sunshine. :) Plus it used to be cheap to
> live here, until all the Yankees discovered the place and drove property
> values up. :)

I view the humidity as a filter that keeps out the uncool people. Ain't
no yankee worse than a sand yankee ;)

Seriously: for whatever reason, I have a really positive psychological
association with sitting out on the porch at 11 pm - 1 am with
friends...still hot a hell outside with humidity to match. We just sit
there and sweat and drink beer with the labels peeling off. mmmm home.

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I arrived home from Florida just before the hurricane arrived near my
> aunts home....it was so hot, so humid yet I rode a bike with my
> cousins. They seem to have no problem functioning in that dreadful
> weather.
> I on the other hand think that anyone who rides for miles when it is 90
> plus degrees and humid is out of their mind.

I agree. But, I think it's where you're from. I'm from Oregon, and moved to
Memphis in the 80's. Flew into 98 degrees and it pouring. I lived there two
and a half years and never got used to the sweltering heat and humidity. I
gained 30 pounds my first year there because I sweat at the drop of a hat.
In Oregon, it'll be 90 with 20% humidity, so the "heaviness" of the air is
horrible in the South. My wife and I moved back to the "lighter" air of
Oregon. Memphis is great, but the weather not so.

Dale

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I arrived home from Florida just before the hurricane arrived near my
> aunts home....it was so hot, so humid yet I rode a bike with my
> cousins. They seem to have no problem functioning in that dreadful
> weather.

I suspect it's something you get used to over time. I suspect that if I went
there & tried any distance, I'd cook ;-) Plus the humidity would get to me.
Mind you, in the summer of 2003, I was cycling in 100F plus heat in Germany
(holiday) and I coped, but I kept hydrated and was wearing stuff which
wicked sweat away quite well.

Cheers, helen s

Well I ride almost daily here in the sunshine state, I will admit that
my riding has been cut back a bit. But you can get used to the heat and
humidity. Actually I think the humidity is the worst part of the
weather. Just remember to drink, drink and drink some more! Hydration
is the key!

Ken M

Ken M wrote:
> Well I ride almost daily here in the sunshine state, I will admit that
> my riding has been cut back a bit. But you can get used to the heat and
> humidity. Actually I think the humidity is the worst part of the
> weather. Just remember to drink, drink and drink some more! Hydration
> is the key!
>
> Ken M

A person can get used to just about anything. I am thankful for the
range of temperatures here in Texas. It is very hot in the summer, but
at least we are able to ride all winter long. At the HotterNHell
Hundred this past weekend, it was a little cooler than usual and the
temp probably just topped out in the low 90s but there were reportedly
9700 riders. I saw a few who dropped out with the heat, but for the
most part regular riders know how to deal with it. If you ride about
every day in it, it is not that big of a deal.

DR wrote:

> I agree. But, I think it's where you're from. I'm from Oregon, and moved to
> Memphis in the 80's. Flew into 98 degrees and it pouring. I lived there two
> and a half years and never got used to the sweltering heat and humidity. I
> gained 30 pounds my first year there because I sweat at the drop of a hat.
> In Oregon, it'll be 90 with 20% humidity, so the "heaviness" of the air is
> horrible in the South.

So far this year I rode my bike in the Nevada heat..which is dry and
now the Florida heat with the horrid humidity. It is the humidity I
could not take. I know it is wonderful that Florida only suffers
through that horrible heat for a few months and then has beautiful
weather the rest of the year.....but those summer months are killers.
It is amazing when I see my family in Florida functioning in that
August swealtering heat and humidity. My Uncle was fixing shingles on
his roof and he is 78. My young cousins were riding their bikes alot.
As for me I spent most of my time at my cousins yacht club swimming in
the indoor pool. ;-) Hey, I'm no fool. But I did ride with them. It
was not pleasant. The Nevada dry heat was a little easier to take when
I went to see my niece. I think I will stay in Jersey and visit the
south in the winter, and visit out West in the spring. I have to
change my visiting schedule if I want to ride with them.
My nephew is in California, maybe that is where I should go. Seems the
weather is always great there. ;-) And he doesn't ride a bike, he
drives around in a Porche convertible. Now maybe that is the answer.
;-)
Maggie

gds wrote:

> It's all in what you like. It will top out at 104 F this afternoon in
> Tucson. I got in ~30 miles this morning and need to do a bit more this
> aft to check the position on a newly fitted cleat.
> Hydration and good clothing makes it doable.

I have to agree. I *love* heat. I *thrive* on it. It doesn't get hot
enough long enough for me up here in upstate NY, but we had a very nice
heat wave during July that I was just loving, while most of local club
members were wilting and whining. I was climbing hills in 90+ degree
muggy heat and loving it. The clue to staying out of trouble is, as gds
says, good hydration and proper clothing.

Of course, the first time it dropped below 80 degrees, I was wearing a
windbreaker and everybody made fun of me. But hey, *I* was comfortable.

> And remember from October until mid May it is just about perfect out
> here!

Braggart! :-D

*sigh*

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

On 29 Aug 2005 09:00:13 -0700, "Maggie" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I arrived home from Florida just before the hurricane arrived near my
>aunts home....it was so hot, so humid yet I rode a bike with my
>cousins. They seem to have no problem functioning in that dreadful
>weather.
>I on the other hand think that anyone who rides for miles when it is 90
>plus degrees and humid is out of their mind. I am glad I arrived back
>at Newark Airport in one piece. I survived the weather out there and
>missed the hurricane. My only problem was being in a holding pattern
>above Newark Airport for an hour trying to land in Jersey. To all of
>you, including my entire extended family, who dare to live in Florida
>in the summer....I bow to you. You are brave people. For those who
>ride their bikes during the Florida Summers.....I bow twice. To all
>who ride out the hurricane seasons....I ask...Why do you live there??
>I return each year to see the relatives..but I don't think I have what
>it takes to live there...and I am from Jersey. The place no one wants
>to visit, except to see NYC. Now my thoughts are with my friends in New
>Orleans. Keeping good thoughts this day for those who may lose so
>much.
>
>Maggie.

At least they don't have to ride in 6 (F) degree weather like I did
earlier this year here in NYC. Plus, I like hot weather. As long as
you're moving you're ok. It's when you stop that you explode into
sweat.

DR wrote:
> "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I arrived home from Florida just before the hurricane arrived near my
>>aunts home....it was so hot, so humid yet I rode a bike with my
>>cousins. They seem to have no problem functioning in that dreadful
>>weather.
>>I on the other hand think that anyone who rides for miles when it is 90
>>plus degrees and humid is out of their mind.

> I agree. But, I think it's where you're from. I'm from Oregon, and moved to
> Memphis in the 80's. Flew into 98 degrees and it pouring. I lived there two
> and a half years and never got used to the sweltering heat and humidity.

you don't get used to it. it's hot and sweating does not work to cool
your body down. I've lived in Atlanta almost 23 years now (my whole
life). Even if I stay here for the rest of it (not likely) I won't even
get used to it. But, I could sit inside all summer and be bored out of
my mind, or I could tough it out and go have some fun. That's what I
chose to do.

--

dgk <[email protected]> writes:

> At least they don't have to ride in 6 (F) degree weather like I did
> earlier this year here in NYC. Plus, I like hot weather. As long as
> you're moving you're ok. It's when you stop that you explode into
> sweat.

Cold weather's better than hot IMHO. Don't dress in spandex; wear
natural fibres, particularly wool, in layers. In fact, just dress like
a normal person would for winter, and maybe leave off your coat.

As long as you're moving, you stay warm. And when you're stopped you're
still warm.

In today's climate, you can get promoted for saving $10 million, even
if you are building a skyscraper and that money was for the foundation.
--Charles Shannon Hendrix

Paul Hobson wrote:
> Gooserider wrote:
>
>> "Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>> To all of
>>> you, including my entire extended family, who dare to live in Florida
>>> in the summer....I bow to you. You are brave people. For those who
>>> ride their bikes during the Florida Summers.....I bow twice. To all
>>> who ride out the hurricane seasons....I ask...Why do you live there??

Ive been in FL in the summer- i have no idea how people live. You'd have
to ride at 6 am or forget it. Even at 8 am it's already like an oven.

In the meantime, we've had unstable weather and rain since sunday= every
time u thought of going out, it would start thundering! and now Katrina
is making her way up to Montreal. We're going to be deluged all day
tomorrow. It looks like no bike until thursday- i'm going crazy!
AHHHHHH!!! Look like the only cycling until then is DEDs and the vuelta
on real audio.

Robert Uhl wrote:

> Cold weather's better than hot IMHO. Don't dress in spandex; wear
> natural fibres, particularly wool, in layers. In fact, just dress like
> a normal person would for winter, and maybe leave off your coat.
>
> As long as you're moving, you stay warm. And when you're stopped you're
> still warm.

Folks have all sorts of different preferences. But as far as cycling is
concerned I don't see how cold - with the related snow and ice- beats
warmth. I admit that hot can be uncomfortable--but to me cold is
downright painful.
I'll agree that it is easy to dress for cold weather and be comfortable
for some activites- I'd put hiking and skiing in there. But (road)
cycling in the cold is miserable.

"gds" <[email protected]> writes:

>> Cold weather's better than hot IMHO. Don't dress in spandex; wear
>> natural fibres, particularly wool, in layers. In fact, just dress
>> like a normal person would for winter, and maybe leave off your coat.
>>
>> As long as you're moving, you stay warm. And when you're stopped
>> you're still warm.
>>

> Folks have all sorts of different preferences. But as far as cycling
> is concerned I don't see how cold - with the related snow and ice-
> beats warmth.

Ah, but here in Colorado cold is not necessarily related to snow & ice.
Sure, we have those too--and when they come, I drive a car instead of
ride a bike. But most of the winter the streets are dry or just a bit
wet (without ice), and so that doesn't matter. In fact, we get less
precipitation during the winter than during the summer, so I get to ride
more days.

> I'll agree that it is easy to dress for cold weather and be
> comfortable for some activites- I'd put hiking and skiing in
> there. But (road) cycling in the cold is miserable.

I much prefer February cycling to August cycling. The one is bracing &
pleasant; the other is hot & miserable. The only problem I've had is
with sub-freezing air, which tore my throat up something fierce.

But then, my ideal honeymoon would involve that amazing Ice Hotel
instead of a Caribbean beach too...

Chacon a son gout.

Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me `Can I add this
machine to the DNS?' It gives me a headache just trying to think down to
their level. --Gary Barnes

> Cold weather's better than hot IMHO. Don't dress in spandex; wear
> natural fibres, particularly wool, in layers. In fact, just dress like
> a normal person would for winter, and maybe leave off your coat.
>
> As long as you're moving, you stay warm. And when you're stopped you're
> still warm.

I lived in the Netherlands for two years. I asked what weather was best, and
my neighbors said that the winters were the best because you don't sweat
when you ride. Curiously, almost every Dutch bike that was ridden seemed to
be lacking air in the tires. Wonder why. Talk about

Robert Uhl wrote:
> But then, my ideal honeymoon would involve that amazing Ice Hotel
> instead of a Caribbean beach too...
>
> Chacon a son gout.
>
> --

Ahh! Well that explains it. It's nice that we have choices!