Never trust the S.O. to bring...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    Why do these threads morph into toilet humor LOL

    Bronnie

  2. On Wed 25 Jan 2006 02:20:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
    "Dog3" Lonergan?

    > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> looking for trouble
    > wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> On Wed 25 Jan 2006 01:01:28p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

    >>> I confess: until maybe a month ago I thought all toilet paper was
    >>> alike. Then Cottonelle went on sale so I tried that, only to
    >>> discover that it broke clean through if you tried to pick your nose.
    >>> Now I'm a walking encyclopedia of harshness, softness, pattern and
    >>> ply, and a diehard "Angel Soft" man.
    >>>
    >>> I only wonder about the folks who buy those single rolls: what, like
    >>> they're not going to be going after *Sunday*?

    >> We've pretty much switched to those moist towelettes, keeping toilet
    >> paper on hand as a backup.
    >>

    > Why Wayne Boatwright. You're telling an outright fib. You told *me* you
    > used coffee filters ;)
    >
    > Michael

    Well, we wet them first! :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  3. On Wed 25 Jan 2006 01:43:20p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
    bennett?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> On Wed 25 Jan 2006 01:01:28p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

    >>>I confess: until maybe a month ago I thought all toilet paper was
    >>>alike. Then Cottonelle went on sale so I tried that, only to discover
    >>>that it broke clean through if you tried to pick your nose. Now I'm a
    >>>walking encyclopedia of harshness, softness, pattern and ply, and a
    >>>diehard "Angel Soft" man.
    >>>
    >>>I only wonder about the folks who buy those single rolls: what, like
    >>>they're not going to be going after *Sunday*?

    >> We've pretty much switched to those moist towelettes, keeping toilet
    >> paper on hand as a backup.
    >>

    > I buy the cheap stuff. None of us have sensitive skin, and I mean,
    > considering what you wipe up with it, why spend the extra $$?

    Some folks do have sensitive skin, so it can be imortant.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  4. Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Wed 25 Jan 2006 01:43:20p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
    > bennett?

    >>I buy the cheap stuff. None of us have sensitive skin, and I mean,
    >>considering what you wipe up with it, why spend the extra $$?
    >>

    > Some folks do have sensitive skin, so it can be imortant.

    I understand this concept :)

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  5. L'Espérance wrote:
    > Bronwyn wrote:
    >
    >> Why do these threads morph into toilet humor LOL
    >>

    >> Bronnie
    >>

    > 'Cause they can. I'm just getting ready to go grocery shopping. It
    > would be fun to compare grocery lists sometime here.

    this is a list I use sometimes:
    http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/grocerymonth.htm

    --

  6. Bronwyn wrote:

    > Why do these threads morph into toilet humor LOL
    >

    > Bronnie

    'Cause they can. I'm just getting ready to go grocery shopping. It
    would be fun to compare grocery lists sometime here. I don't need a lot
    but I do need what is on my list. Then I might treat myself to dinner
    out and then go out for the evening OR I might just go out and eat at
    where we end up. I'm rather on holidays this week. DH is away so there
    is just me to cook for. I've been having a lot of fun experimenting
    with cooking having found at least two dishes I know DH would like.

  7. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "maxine in ri" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    > news:[email protected]13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
    >

    >> Ah Michael, we all have our crosses to bear. Like my beloved who
    >> waits until he is out of something essential to his daily food intake,
    >> then tells me at 9:30 at night when I am _not_ leaving the house so he
    >> can have it the next morning. OTOH, he will eat anything I cook, even
    >> if it has yogurt in it<G>
    >>
    >> maxine in ri

    > LOLOL... Steven can sniff out yogurt in a recipe from 50 yards. No matter
    > how I try to disguise it, somehow he knows. One exception to the rule
    > though. I make a cucumber dill sauce with yogurt which he loves on his
    > gyros.
    >
    > Michael

    I took a couple of chicken breasts out of the freezer to have in a day or
    so. DH says that he will eat chicken any way at all except made with
    yogurt.
    Tonight I'm having some dal, basmati rice and cucumber-yogurt raita (with a
    pinch of dried dill and pepper flakes). He's alright with yogurt, but
    chicken with yogurt -- no way!
    Dee Dee

  8. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > That's cute. Hey, you can't even say too much, otherwise next time
    > > it might be, go yourself, I always get it wrong. Few weeks back I
    > > made the mistake of saying, hey, english muffins (yes, those very
    > > ones), buy one get two free, as I was flipping through the circular.
    > > Didn't say get them.
    > > Must stop talking to myself out loud.
    > >
    > > He came home from food shopping, I got 3 english muffins! Uh oh, he
    > > didn't ... before I could say a word, he said, yeah, I didn't know
    > > you needed to bring a coupon, the cashier told me and tore one out
    > > for me.
    > >
    > > Thank you, cashier. And thanks, Ron, for the thought.
    > >
    > > nancy

    > That was might nice of the cashier. The cashiers at Walgreens do
    > that too. My contact lens solution was on sale and the cashier
    > yanked a coupon out of their flyer. Very kind lady.

    Of course, I'd be much happier if Walgreens didn't have those "store
    coupons". Normally I don't tear them out, all they need to do is scan
    them barcode, so I just fold open the flyer to the correct spot.

    I do like the Walgreens rebate program. They're very fast at getting
    your rebate back and if you take it as a gift card you get an extra 10%.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Subject: Never trust the S.O. to bring...
    > From: Michael "Dog3" Lonergan <[email protected]>
    > Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
    >
    > Never trust the significant others to bring home the right thing from the
    > store.

    LOL. My mother is worse, much worse. If I ask her to bring a jar of strawberry
    jam back from the store I'll likely end up with any kind of thing that is red
    and comes in a jar. No kidding. She's bought peanuts instead of almonds because
    they had the same brand name on the label. By the same token, if they change
    the packaging, she thinks it's a different product and tastes different, so she
    won't buy it any more.

    My wife is different. She brings what's on the list, so long as the
    instructions are clear.
    She, however, rarely remembers to put anything on the shopping list once she's
    finished the last in the container. "Dear, is there any more ___ in the
    storeroom?" "No, I finished the last one!" "Why didn't you write it down?" "Erm
    ...." -- we live 50 miles from town and go shopping once a week, max. :-O

    -P.

  10. Mr Tibbs

    Mr Tibbs Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    > > http://www.ecosyn.us/ecocity/Challenges/drought/8-famine-01.jpg

    > Your point being what?
    >
    > Michael

    put a pin in it there will ya!

    --

    my point?

    uh...wipe your bunghole with the charmin

    it plucks my nerves to hear people like you rant about a f'n grocery
    list

    get up off your dead arse and do it yourself!

    I'd make you wipe on the shower curtain if you complained to me!

  11. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    > Never trust the significant others to bring home the right thing from the
    > store. Sent Steven this morning after chive and cheese omelets, toasted
    > bagels and some bacon. Here is what I asked for and what I got.
    >
    > 2 12 packs of diet Pepsi in the can - I got 2 32 oz bottles of diet Coke
    > 1 4 roll pack of Soft 'n Gentle - I got 2 4 roll packs of Charmin
    > He completely forgot to pick up the butter
    > 10 packages of ramen noodles, beef, chicken and pork, mixed to equal 10. I
    > got 12 packs of chicken mushroom.
    > He got the cheeses right.
    > He also got exactly what was on the list for Petsmart.
    > Now he's out shopping for paint to paint the basement with <<<shudder>>>.
    >
    > Meanwhile I'm scrubbing floors ;) What the hell, he's a doll anyway.
    > Wouldn't trade him for a bag of Hershey's Kisses... maybe.
    >
    > Michael

    I had the same thing happen to me once. Sent david to get the ingredients for
    breakfast and 2 hours later he came back with a full grocery load AND he
    substituted carrots for the doritos.

    After 90 minutes I was really getting worried as the store is only 6 blocks
    away.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  12. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Never trust the significant others to bring home the right thing from the
    > store. Sent Steven this morning after chive and cheese omelets, toasted
    > bagels and some bacon. Here is what I asked for and what I got.
    >
    > 2 12 packs of diet Pepsi in the can - I got 2 32 oz bottles of diet Coke
    > 1 4 roll pack of Soft 'n Gentle - I got 2 4 roll packs of Charmin
    > He completely forgot to pick up the butter
    > 10 packages of ramen noodles, beef, chicken and pork, mixed to equal 10.
    > got 12 packs of chicken mushroom.
    > He got the cheeses right.
    > He also got exactly what was on the list for Petsmart.
    > Now he's out shopping for paint to paint the basement with <<<shudder>>>.
    >
    > Meanwhile I'm scrubbing floors ;) What the hell, he's a doll anyway.
    > Wouldn't trade him for a bag of Hershey's Kisses... maybe.
    >
    > Michael

    hahaha I feel your pain Michael. When I was a newlywed my husband would
    bring home the oddest things from the grocery store. I'd ask for tomato
    sauce, he'd bring home stewed tomatoes, because he couldn't find the brand
    he normally saw at home. Could you have brought home another brand of
    tomato sauce. I'd ask for mozzarella he'd bring home Kraft Parmesan cheese.
    I honestly thought I married a simpleton. He seemed smarter before I
    married him. :D Turned out he had never grocery shopped. His family ate
    out every meal. I thought that was an exaggeration. Nope. So, I had to go
    to the store and train him what to look for. It was very odd.

    Lynne

  13. Elisa

    Elisa Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Never trust the significant others to bring home the right thing from the
    > store. Sent Steven this morning after chive and cheese omelets, toasted
    > bagels and some bacon. Here is what I asked for and what I got.
    >
    ><snippage>

    Here's a funny story. A girlfriend of mine told her husband to go get some
    onion soup mix and sour cream so that she could make onion dip. He came
    home with sour cream and a can of onion soup.

    LOL!

    Elisa

  14. Jessica V.

    Jessica V. Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > > 1 4 roll pack of Soft 'n Gentle - I got 2 4 roll packs of Charmin

    > I confess: until maybe a month ago I thought all toilet paper was
    > alike. Then Cottonelle went on sale so I tried that, only to discover
    > that it broke clean through if you tried to pick your nose. Now I'm a
    > walking encyclopedia of harshness, softness, pattern and ply, and a
    > diehard "Angel Soft" man.
    >
    > I only wonder about the folks who buy those single rolls: what, like
    > they're not going to be going after *Sunday*?

    I admit it, if anyone catches me in the supermarket en route to the
    lake in April I'll be one of those people buying just one roll of
    toilet paper. I've learned that a) mice like to get into TP and make a
    huge mess b) with only being at the lake on weekends we use about one
    roll a season c) in case of emergancy I can pick up more TP and Imodium
    at Days Store on the other side of the lake.

    Jessica

  15. "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Never trust the significant others to bring home the right thing from
    > the store. Sent Steven this morning after chive and cheese omelets,
    > toasted bagels and some bacon. Here is what I asked for and what I
    > got.

    <snipped list>

    I was making something (can't remember what) and needed 2 cans of
    evaporated milk. I sent Rob down to the supermarket at the local shops (10
    minutes walk) to get it, along with a few other things. He came back with
    two cans of full cream milk powder! He'd even asked one of the workers at
    the shop for help (a young man).

    Found a picture of the can on the internet, printed it out and he went back
    to the shop <g>.

    Rhonda Anderson - who still has two unopened cans of milk powder in the
    cupboard.
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  16. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    "Rhonda Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Never trust the significant others to bring home the right thing from
    >> the store. Sent Steven this morning after chive and cheese omelets,
    >> toasted bagels and some bacon. Here is what I asked for and what I
    >> got.
    >>

    > <snipped list>
    >
    > I was making something (can't remember what) and needed 2 cans of
    > evaporated milk. I sent Rob down to the supermarket at the local shops (10
    > minutes walk) to get it, along with a few other things. He came back with
    > two cans of full cream milk powder! He'd even asked one of the workers at
    > the shop for help (a young man).
    >
    > Found a picture of the can on the internet, printed it out and he went
    > back
    > to the shop <g>.
    >
    > Rhonda Anderson - who still has two unopened cans of milk powder in the
    > cupboard.
    > Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

    Just for future reference.... I found out grocery stores will take returns.
    December hubby asked me to buy milk. That means 2 gallons for use. He came
    home from work with 2 gallons of milk. I asked him, "What the heck?" We
    can't drink 4 gallons of milk. I made him take it right back to the store.
    He's returned numerous things over the years (due it his weird shopping
    practices), but is still timid about taking things back.

    Lynne

  17. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Elisa" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Here's a funny story. A girlfriend of mine told her husband to go get some
    > onion soup mix and sour cream so that she could make onion dip. He came
    > home with sour cream and a can of onion soup.

    That's not funny!

    :)

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  18. The Bubbo <[email protected]> writes:
    >Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    >> Never trust the significant others to bring home the right thing from the
    >> store.

    >I had the same thing happen to me once. Sent david to get the ingredients for
    >breakfast and 2 hours later he came back with a full grocery load AND he
    >substituted carrots for the doritos.

    >After 90 minutes I was really getting worried as the store is only 6 blocks
    >away.

    I have the same problem! I was sick this weekend so I sent DH out to
    get groceries for a couple days, since we were down to nothing but
    sesame seeds and ketchup. The list was 6 items long. He came back with
    12 bags of stuff and a foot-long receipt.
    A couple days later he insisted he wanted to try and reduce expenses
    and simplify. I swear to you, the first day he has to eat leftovers for
    lunch instead of a Hungry Man dinner he is going to plotz!

    Stacia

  19. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Glitter Ninja wrote:
    > The Bubbo <[email protected]> writes:
    >>Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    >>> Never trust the significant others to bring home the right thing from the
    >>> store.

    >>I had the same thing happen to me once. Sent david to get the ingredients

    for
    >>breakfast and 2 hours later he came back with a full grocery load AND he
    >>substituted carrots for the doritos.

    >>After 90 minutes I was really getting worried as the store is only 6 blocks
    >>away.

    > I have the same problem! I was sick this weekend so I sent DH out to
    > get groceries for a couple days, since we were down to nothing but
    > sesame seeds and ketchup. The list was 6 items long. He came back with
    > 12 bags of stuff and a foot-long receipt.
    > A couple days later he insisted he wanted to try and reduce expenses
    > and simplify. I swear to you, the first day he has to eat leftovers for
    > lunch instead of a Hungry Man dinner he is going to plotz!
    >
    > Stacia

    I get the same thing from David on occasion, but he never pushes it. We don't
    share finances.

    Mostly, we each go shopping seperately. I cannot shop with him, he stops to
    read every container, he must compare ingredients, prices, whatever to the
    point of driving me to distraction.

    I do most of the meal cooking and he fills in on nights I don't feel like
    cooking or whatever. Mostly, when he's cooking, it involves experiments
    wrapped in tortillas.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  20. "King's Crown" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Rhonda Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    >> Rhonda Anderson - who still has two unopened cans of milk powder in
    >> the cupboard.
    >> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

    > Just for future reference.... I found out grocery stores will take
    > returns. December hubby asked me to buy milk. That means 2 gallons
    > for use. He came home from work with 2 gallons of milk. I asked him,
    > "What the heck?" We can't drink 4 gallons of milk. I made him take
    > it right back to the store. He's returned numerous things over the
    > years (due it his weird shopping practices), but is still timid about
    > taking things back.

    Not sure if supermarkets here would take returns on something you didn't
    want.I think I'd probably be timid about that, too! I've only ever
    returned items that there was something wrong with. Under the law here,
    stores do not have to refund or exchange on something just because you
    decided you don't like it, or you bought the wrong size, or too many etc.
    Most shops (clothing etc.) will offer exchange if you return it within a
    specified period, but would not give you a refund.

    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia