Never trust the S.O. to bring...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > My wife is different. She brings what's on the list, so long as the
    > instructions are clear.
    > She, however, rarely remembers to put anything on the shopping list once she's
    > finished the last in the container. "Dear, is there any more ___ in the
    > storeroom?" "No, I finished the last one!" "Why didn't you write it down?" "Erm
    > ..." -- we live 50 miles from town and go shopping once a week, max. :-O
    >
    > -P.

    Your wife and my husband must be twins born of different mothers. Sub
    husband for wife, and he for she, and I could have written the above.

    But as Michael said, they're sweet and we wouldn't trade them for
    anything.

    maxine in ri

  2. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    maxine in ri wrote:

    > Your wife and my husband must be twins born of different mothers. Sub
    > husband for wife, and he for she, and I could have written the above.
    >
    > But as Michael said, they're sweet and we wouldn't trade them for
    > anything.

    :) My DH is a very good shopper. We keep a list (a little "convenient"
    html goodie that he wrote - on the PC) and whoever goes shopping gets
    the stuff - then we tick off whatever we bought. We have been using it
    for a few years now, and I don't know how I managed without it. HE
    taught me to keep "stock". When we open the last jar, packet, whatever,
    it goes on "The List" - before we run out.... Took him a while to train
    me though! And he loves cooking too!

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  3. Windcat

    Windcat Guest

    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Never trust the significant others to bring home the right thing from the
    >> store. Sent Steven this morning after chive and cheese omelets, toasted
    >> bagels and some bacon. Here is what I asked for and what I got.

    That's what happens when you make a guy just trying to bring
    home the bacon do women's work! :)

  4. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    Rhonda Anderson wrote:

    > Not sure if supermarkets here would take returns on something you didn't
    > want.I think I'd probably be timid about that, too! I've only ever
    > returned items that there was something wrong with. Under the law here,
    > stores do not have to refund or exchange on something just because you
    > decided you don't like it, or you bought the wrong size, or too many etc.
    > Most shops (clothing etc.) will offer exchange if you return it within a
    > specified period, but would not give you a refund.
    >
    > Rhonda Anderson
    > Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

    And we USains think government is too much on the side of businesses!

    Most stores I've been in will take back anything with the sales slip
    for a full refund. Some, mostly grocery stores, if the price at the
    register is different from the price on the shelf or the item, you get
    one of that item free, and the rest (if you've bought several) for the
    lower price.

    Some retailers, like LL Bean, will take back anything at any time for
    any reason--including worn out boots and the like.

    Most are less kindly towards things that have past their useful
    lifetime.

    maxine in ri

  5. On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:12:58 -0500, "Nancy Young"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >it might be, go yourself, I always get it wrong. Few weeks back I made
    >the mistake of saying, hey, english muffins (yes, those very ones), buy one
    >get *two* free, as I was flipping through the circular. Didn't say get
    >them.
    >Must stop talking to myself out loud.
    >
    >He came home from food shopping, I got 3 english muffins! Uh oh, he
    >didn't ... before I could say a word, he said, yeah, I didn't know you
    >needed to bring a coupon, the cashier told me and tore one out for me.
    >
    >Thank you, cashier. And thanks, Ron, for the thought.

    That was a sweet gesture! I hope you actually like English muffins :p
    My DH stopped by Walgreens the other week and picked up some supplies
    for us - he got entirely the wrong brand of toothpaste but I'm not
    going to complain because at least he remembered that we needed it,
    and he made sure it was a 'basic' kind and not whitening, brightening
    quadruple-flouridated etc. I'll just hope it's edible when we get to
    that tube...

    --
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life

  6. On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 01:38:18 GMT, Rhonda Anderson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"King's Crown" <[email protected]nk.net> wrote in
    >news:[email protected]:

    >Not sure if supermarkets here would take returns on something you didn't
    >want.I think I'd probably be timid about that, too! I've only ever
    >returned items that there was something wrong with. Under the law here,
    >stores do not have to refund or exchange on something just because you
    >decided you don't like it, or you bought the wrong size, or too many etc.
    >Most shops (clothing etc.) will offer exchange if you return it within a
    >specified period, but would not give you a refund.

    When I lived in Melbourne we sometimes had to take stuff back to the
    supermarket... I was rather timid about doing it at first and would
    only return something if there was something obviously wrong with it
    (ie.you bring the packet home and discover it's leaking!) but since
    the supermarket people never made a fuss I decided that accidentally
    buying the wrong product counted as good reason for return - and they
    always took the stuff back. It was usually because they had the shelf
    stacked wrong anyway! (or else because my father got overly
    'helpful'...) While the grocery stores doesn't HAVE to take the stuff
    back if there isn't anything actually wrong with it, they generally
    will, especially Coles and Safeways.

    --
    ~Karen aka Kajikit
    Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
    http://www.kajikitscorner.com
    Online photo album - http://community.webshots.com/user/kajikit

  7. Jude

    Jude Guest

    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Never trust the significant others to bring home the right thing from the
    > > store. Sent Steven this morning after chive and cheese omelets, toasted
    > > bagels and some bacon. Here is what I asked for and what I got.

    See, I'm so grateful for cell phones. Inevitably, when I send my BF to
    the grocery for seomthing, the phone rings.

    "Hello?"
    "Uh, ok, I'm standing in front of the tortillas. They have flour or
    corn."
    "Corn."
    "OK, white corn or yellow corn?"
    "Either. Check the price."
    "How many should I get?"
    "How about 10?"
    "OK. The pack of 30 is on sale though."
    "Fine. I'll freeze the rest."
    "So I should get the packag of 30 corn tortillas, then?"
    "Perfect, hun. Thanks."

    30 seconds later.......ring, ring.
    "Honey? What kind of refried beans should I get?".................

    And I ask myself, why didn't I just go myself? LOL? I love him. He does
    great. Even when he still manages to arrive home with flour tortillas
    and whole dried beans!

  8. Karen AKA Kajikit <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > When I lived in Melbourne we sometimes had to take stuff back to the
    > supermarket... I was rather timid about doing it at first and would
    > only return something if there was something obviously wrong with it
    > (ie.you bring the packet home and discover it's leaking!) but since
    > the supermarket people never made a fuss I decided that accidentally
    > buying the wrong product counted as good reason for return - and they
    > always took the stuff back.

    I haven't tried it with Woolies. I don't know if they'd do it or not, but
    it's rare that I have the wrong thing (I usually do the shopping myself
    <g>). I'll have to ask friends if they've ever tried it.

    --
    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  9. "maxine in ri" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Rhonda Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Not sure if supermarkets here would take returns on something you
    >> didn't want.I think I'd probably be timid about that, too! I've only
    >> ever returned items that there was something wrong with. Under the
    >> law here, stores do not have to refund or exchange on something just
    >> because you decided you don't like it, or you bought the wrong size,
    >> or too many etc. Most shops (clothing etc.) will offer exchange if
    >> you return it within a specified period, but would not give you a
    >> refund.
    >>
    >> Rhonda Anderson
    >> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

    > And we USains think government is too much on the side of businesses!
    >
    > Most stores I've been in will take back anything with the sales slip
    > for a full refund. Some, mostly grocery stores, if the price at the
    > register is different from the price on the shelf or the item, you get
    > one of that item free, and the rest (if you've bought several) for the
    > lower price.

    Here, the only time you are actually entitled to a refund is if the goods
    are defective/not of merchantable quality, unsuitable for the purpose for
    which they were sold, or don't match the description/sample given. This
    website explains further.

    http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/shopping/refundsrepairs.html

    There is no requirement for a store to refund or exchange if you bought
    the wrong thing or wrong size. Of course, most stores will offer an
    exchange, and some will offer refunds, but they don't have to. It differs
    from shop to shop. Some have very liberal conditions, but not all.

    Our supermarkets have the same deal as yours with the wrongly scanned
    products, I think. I've certainly returned defective items to the
    supermarket, but not tried returning anything else - perhaps I would be
    pleasantly surprised <g>.

    --
    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  10. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    Returns.... the milk return was more of a favor to us... granted they didn't
    have to do that one. BUT I didn't think it would hurt to ask and they
    gladly took it back. Now last week in an effort to save time I bought a
    prebagged 5 pounds of onions. 2 days later I went to use one and all but
    one were usuable. I returned the rotten onions and picked out my own this
    time.

    Lynne