New 2 Forum Old Guy 54 Old Bike 20 yr old Diamond Back Accent any advise welcome please read

BuzzardMarine

Banned
Oct 6, 2013
Hello Gents ! Wanted to introduce myself ; as I hope not to bore you pros I am have questions ? Feel free to direct me in correct direction ; I am humble and welcome advise ! A little about me :)

Name: Dwight

Health: Amazing, determined , blessed, Dr's told me, I would never walk unassisted and I would need an O2 tank at all times ? I was ran over by a 1/2 ton truck in 2002 spent 3 mths in the hospital and had 6 more years of surgery ! I had other plans and by the grace of God my plans are coming true . Almost dreams after 6 years of surgery !
angry.png
100% disabled and started TRT a year ago and I am a new man !Only have 1.5 lung capasity , left hip implant DVT's in left lower Calf mainly.

Bike: 20 year old Diamond Back Accent . added Rock Shock Altus Shifter, Shimino Claier Brakes , ridge metal pedals with teeth, Replaced cranks years ago and add a lower gear ,

Riding Attire Bell Brain Bucket, 3/4 boots I workout in, Sweats and as little as possible for a top tank top usually. Panasonic Ear buds and speaker button with iphone 4S Stem to bar mount use for GPS and Music .Wear a back pack .

Goals : Ride 15 miles a day on non bike friendly rural rds. and eventually use bike for primary transportation . Ride this boat anchor until frame breaks Buy a used bike off Craig's List when the need arrises

Location: North Central Georgie Jaw JA , Base of Blue Ridge Mountains

Skill Level: Scale of 1 to 10 about a 4 still riding the road in front of my home to get shifting down and even though tuned by bike shop so old requires further tuning the hrder I ride it If I see Bike will hold up add Hybrid tires 26 in x 1.5 ?190 Aggressive off rd tires planned to use until need for new tires ? tires seem to cost about $45.00 since I need to buy rim liner also when I get new tires.

Questions: ( Besides trash it ) Weight not an issue ,- helps with training . Can you make a rim liner from an old tube ? I will be riding Twilight some times Found ft & rear strobe and bright light + Computer on eBay for $15.00 Seamed safety wise a good idea ? Would saet steem rear rack be better than a back pack ? I guess you can tell from my questions I am a Newbie at 54 and as a old Marine I tend to over prep and need something as opposed to not have it when I need it ? ? ? Plan to et good tub repair kit (What Kind ? ) & Co2 inflation system since I already have plenty of Co2 from paintball non threaded type ?

Comments: When you gents get through laughing please offer up advise and feel free to email me [email protected]

Quote: Originally Posted by BuzzardMarine .
Questions: ( Besides trash it ) Weight not an issue ,- helps with training . Can you make a rim liner from an old tube ? I will be riding Twilight some times Found ft & rear strobe and bright light + Computer on eBay for $15.00 Seamed safety wise a good idea ? Would saet steem rear rack be better than a back pack ? I guess you can tell from my questions I am a Newbie at 54 and as a old Marine I tend to over prep and need something as opposed to not have it when I need it ? ? ? Plan to et good tub repair kit (What Kind ? ) & Co2 inflation system since I already have plenty of Co2 from paintball non threaded type ?

Comments: When you gents get through laughing please offer up advise and feel free to email me [email protected]

Now thats a neat thread...
wink.png
First of all, I am impressed that you joined the army, since I had 8 months of "compulsory vacation" there and... well... Compared to army stuff your bike is a "Lamborgotti Fasterossa" and all equipment you might be getting are gonna be "alien technology super efficient dream machines" (I was carrying half a tent once in the army, which weighted 5 kg, 10kg in total with the other half that my "other half"
big-smile.png
was carrying and it had no floor, it wasnt waterproof or windproof, actually I have no idea what it was for, I guess a "multi role" item... Like everything else in the army... Maybe it was designed to carry cement too...
confused.png

So to your questions:

-Can you make a rim liner from an old tube ?

You could I guess make a rim liner from an old tube, you would have the shape allready too but it might be a bit "loose" around the rim and you would need some glue to secure it place too... Glue might be nasty to remove from the rim later. Maybe you can apply 2 applications of electrical tape? If you find some heavy duty extra thick one even better. Or maybe you can go for packaging tape. (That thick one that doesnt tear so easily)

-I will be riding Twilight some times Found ft & rear strobe and bright light + Computer on eBay for $15.00 Seamed safety wise a good idea ?

I guess that this will be an internal battery front and rear set. Batteries with a flat discharge curve are a good idea for those as you get the same voltage throughout the discharge curve so they keep your lights bright and not dim for a long period of use. Rechargable ones also have less voltage then normal single use alkaline ones. 1.2Volts for the rechargeable ones instead of 1.5Volts for the single use ones. You can check "GP's Recyko" ones and "Sanyo's" Eneloop ones. I am using the GP ones and I am very happy. But when they go flat they go flat really fast. But when they are charged they are very bright throughout the use. If you just wanna be seen you will be fine with those, plus a few reflecting items. But if you wanna see a bit too I would suggest something with a Led at least 1watt on the front and a 0.5watt led on the rear is not a bad idea either.

- Would saet steem rear rack be better than a back pack ?

Seat mounted racks give me the creeps... Plus they would raise the centre of gravity of the bike a bit too maybe? A normal rear rack with some bags (waterproofed ones are a good idea, either ready waterproof or with a rain cover). And those also sometimes have attachment points for the lights. A back pack will not be as comfy on longer rides, as it will collect sweat. But its easier to carry around then some panniers for the rack. There are some with a distanced "mesh" from the back for that reason. A good thing about backpacks is that you can carry a hydration bladder with them which is kinda more handy then a bottle.

- Plan to et good tub repair kit (What Kind ? ) & Co2 inflation system since I already have plenty of Co2 from paintball non threaded type ?

I have a simple Lezyne valve that screws on the CO2 canister and then you screw it on the valve. You turn it and it inflates a 700x25 tire to 125 psi. Or so it says. I used it once and it was a big success... But you might wanna check if your canisters are correct for your tubes-tires. Plus you might need to check for a correct valve for those non-threaded ones... I dont know if they are the same with the cycling ones but its just CO2 in those too right? CO2 inflated tires stay inflated for a day, 2 max, as the CO2 particles are small enough for the tube not to hold them. Its a bit of an emergency thing just to get you back home. There are some very small pumps now too but they might need some time and force to inflate the tire.

Good luck!
smile.png

Thanks a bunch and I as I shared am on a budget . Think for the rim liner I will use a double layer of good ole 100 mph Duct tape and just tear down the middle . Scrap the seat stem platform. I like the back pack ! I am going to have to buy some new pedals due to past abuse in off road riding .Oh we did the same thing with Tent/Shelter halves and we used them in the Marines we used them so much I refuse to go camping ! Qhen I do Paintball 24 hour games I eve stay in a motel then I HATE camping and morning dew ! I think for no I just need to get the shifting down and as I said use this Anchor until the frame Breaks The Thumb shifters are good and the brakes work all I will need to do to get servise from this beast is Hybrid tires and I like the way the big fat ones look !

I could not tell if you were advising me that this beast is heavy . . . lol that I know or if you were sharing it should be very durable and carry anything I wanted ? When I bought it 20 years ago it was an expensive bike and somewhat mid range and far from entry level in 1990 ? The Rock Shocks back then were seperate and cost over $300.00 . . .lol now they come on Wal - Mart Bikes and so do disk brakes ? So I will take a pic of it and post it tomorrow if I can the way it is painted is the best thing aout it . . . lol ! Has US Marine Corp on top tube and Diamond Back on the down Tube Matte Black and the decals are Red Yellow and a thin white out line . . Oh and the rear tube going to the wheel has Devil Dog on it . People ask me where I bought it and how much ot cost and I just laugh ! It ia an orginal and I tell them it was Custom Built Just for me . . . lol

If you go for a back pack then it definately worth a look on those camelbacks with the vent mesh... Like this one:

Those damn tents...
big-smile.png
We did those only a few times... I heard that they push alot in the special forces but at least there is a good thing that there they have zero tolerance towards section-anything... Its not much fun to have some not -too cool headed- guys strapped with guns and ammo in the middle of nowhere with you... Sometimes some of those that could not make it into the special forces (as in kicked out during the basic training), because they volunteered to go there for the "compulsory vacation"... Those guys are nuts... Often just kids with issues too... Anyway its a great sense of relief now that I am done with it, I give to the army that!
wink.png

Tires... hmmm are you planning on getting new tires? They play a great role in the handling of the bike. Greatly depends on what kind of surface you will be using them... Conti's are great tires (or so they say, never used them myself, I have 3000km+ on a pair of stock tires and I am so bored of them that I cant wait to have an excuse to change them for a pair of contis...
big-smile.png
) and I found that here in Europe (especially in on-line shops in Germany) they are much cheaper...

I would stop using the bike even if the frame cracks. If it brakes in the wrong moment it can be a serious accident!
shocked.png
They can check the frame at your local Bike Shop.

Weight, less weight means easier to climb, but then again it doesnt matter alot. You can compensate with enough gearing. I was just saying that if the army built a bike, it would be 20kg, with 10 bottle cages, the top tube would be removable and there for they would have to have some 5kg welds in the rear triangle or something...
big-smile.png
I am really curious what they ask for when they ask people to design them stuff...
confused.png
Weight... hmmm its usually 90+kg for bikes for rider weight and cargo combined. The manufacturer of your bike can give you the combined ammount of weight the bike can carry if you email them... If they are still in business that is...

The paint job sounds cool!
big-smile.png
Def would like to see pics...
smile.png

Good luck!
smile.png

If I am not mistaken ? With my limited knowledge ; it is a Diamond Back and they are still very popular in the USA and not a cheap bike unless you get one from a Dept. Store ? I could be wrong they may have sold out and still use the name but I still see them for sale even in bike shops ?

Oh in USA Army and USMC are 2 different branches of the Military ? There is the Army , Navy , and Air Force that are reqular Military and then the USMC 1st in and last out more US Marines Killed in Beruitt Than other brances went ashore . A forgotten Generation of men that died ?

I have a camel Pac that I use for hydration ! This , I will use when I reach the casual ride stages > As for now I carry y belt and cloths in the Back Pac and will hopefilly be carrying book by Jan .

Well I bought a tube as opposed to another patch on a Shwinn Tube . The tube taken out Was a 26 x 1.5 195 . . . . . . The replacement tube is a 26 in x 1 3/8 I read the article on changing ties and how fraction are a lot different from .... decimials . But from the tire article I got that tudes were a great deal more flexable and I have all the spokes laced through the rim 3 x's covered with 100mph tape ? Sould tube be OK it appears to fit ! the rim will it work in the tire ?

I will check back every 30 minutes before I install the tube , rim and tire on the bike ? I am very serious about gaining knowledge and also need to get my shifting down a lot smoother and it is a 21 spd ! ! ! !

Dwight, I'm a few years older than you and have seen many trends come and go. So here's my two cents:

Q: Can you make a rim liner from an old tube ?
A: Yes - cut about a 1" wide loop from a 24" or 20" inner tube so that it
stretches to fit inside your 26" rims. Make a small hole for your inner tube valve stem.
The "donor" inner tube can be old, have flats, etc.., you're just using it
as a big rubber band. A 26" tube might slip around, a stretched 24" or 20" tube will stay in place.
You can probably find old tubes in the trash bin at your local bike shop - ask permission before
dumpster diving.

Q: I will be riding Twilight some times Found ft & rear strobe and bright light + Computer on eBay for $15.00

Seamed safety wise a good idea ?

A: Many states require front and rear lights for riding at night - its a good idea too.
A red rear reflector and white front reflector (or reflective tape) is also effective.
If you buy lights they should use LEDs.
A rear LED blinker uses very little current and a "AA" battery could last for months.
A front LED should use a rechargeable battery - stick with an inexpensive common battery like "AA" size.

Q: Would saet steem rear rack be better than a back pack ?
A: A back pack is cheaper and leaves less stuff on the bike if you need to leave the bike locked
up outside a store. A rear rack with a large saddle bag or pannier bag doesn't restrict air flow - it
helps keep your back from getting sweaty. Also you'll see that folks that look like they're riding
around the country use the pannier bags (low bags hung from a rack) to keep the center of gravity
low on their bike.

I personally prefer a rear rack - the kind that provides a platform above the rear tire - it has legs
that attach to threaded mounts above where the rear wheel axle attaches and a strap that wraps
around the seat stays on the frame near where the seat post is inserted. This type of rear rack
also doubles as a rain fender and a place to mount a rear reflector and rear light.

The mini-racks that attach to the seat post are up too high and are not very strong.

Q: I guess you can tell from my questions I am a Newbie at 54 and as a old Marine
I tend to over prep and need something as opposed to not have it when I need it ? ? ?
A: bikes are fairly simple things and very well suited to people who have some mechanical
skills and like to be self sufficient. I suspect you'll be just fine.

Q: Plan to et good tub repair kit (What Kind ? ) & Co2 inflation system
since I already have plenty of Co2 from paintball non threaded type ?
A: some tools and supplies to consider:

- Tire Irons, aka Tire Levers (made from plastic) - use these to remove tires from the rim
without damaging the inner tube (don't use a screwdriver)

- Tire Patches - I like the self-adhesive Park Tool patches, they stretch well and I think
they work better than the conventional glue + rubber patch kits

- Spare Tube - for those times you can't patch a tire, also offering a spare tube to someone
stuck on the road is an instant way to make a new friend

- Duck Tape - a pencil or pen with about 1-foot of duck tape wound around it. Easy to carry
and darn if that duck tape doesn't come in handy in ways you'd never expect. One application
is to "boot" the inside of a tire if it gets serious sliced up by glass or some other road debris.
Also useful if your pannier bag, saddle bag, or backpack gets a rip.

- CO2 - I don't know about these.

- Gloves !! I always ride with gloves. I use inexpensive auto mechanic gloves (nylon-spandex
with a leatherette padded palm and plastic/vinyl knuckle protection) about $10. Helps me ride
longer without hand fatigue, provides a little crash protection, someplace to wipe the perspiration
from my eyes.

Your fun-per-dollar ratio on an inexpensive bike is going to be very high and you'll be getting
a better workout too. have fun

Well I bought a tube as opposed to another patch on a Shwinn Tube . The tube taken out Was a 26 x 1.5 195 . . . . . . The replacement tube is a 26 in x 1 3/8 I read the article on changing ties and how fraction are a lot different from .... decimials . But from the tire article I got that tudes were a great deal more flexable and I have all the spokes laced through the rim 3 x's covered with 100mph tape ? Sould tube be OK it appears to fit ! the rim will it work in the tire ?

I will check back every 30 minutes before I install the tube , rim and tire on the bike ? I am very serious about gaining knowledge and also need to get my shifting down a lot smoother and it is a 21 spd ! ! ! !

The 26 x 1-3/8 tube is too small - it is an EA3 aka 590mm tire intended for a Three Speed English bicycle.

You want a MTB tube (559mm) - the box should say something like
fits 26 x 1.5 - 2.0 or 26 x 1.75 - 2.1 etc...
The width of the tube, e.g. 1.5", should be close to the width of the tire.

I'm guessing 100mph tape == duct tape == duck tape.
It works okay as a rim tape. You want it wide enough to cover the spoke holes and any
sharp edges inside the surface of your rim. Over time a sticky tape will accumulate
more dirt and sand on the inside than a stretchy rubber rim strip - not a big deal.

CAUTION: if the rim tape is too wide or you put on several layers it will make mounting
your tire more difficult. When you mount (and un-mount) a tire one bead of the tire needs
to sit deep inside the rim while you stretch the other bead outside the rim. If there's
too much stuff inside the rim the inside bead won't be able to go as deep and so the
outside bead will have to stretch more.

Reinforced strapping or packaging tape is a better option than duct tape. It should also be noted that Velox rim tape--about the best rim tape there is--costs a whopping $4-5/roll and works perfectly.

Where would I purchase that and how long is a roll ? I fund liners online for $20.00 a piece ? So the penny pinching ? I am all for a roll for $5.00
dead.png

is a Diamond Back and they are still very popular in the USA

An email to Diamond Back then should clarify the ammount of weight the frame can carry.

For example if you go to specialized's website and download a bikes manual they have a chart with the weight each of their bikes is designed to carry. Plus they give you some information about how fatigue related damage is affected by different styles of using the bike, the weight the bike is carrying etc.

Braking performance is also affected by the weight the bike is carrying...

Good luck!
smile.png

Hello and thank you sir ! Would you believe I only made it to one shop and a ****'s , a Wal-Mart and a Sports Authoirty this past evening and the Bike shop said they did not sell it by the roll and enough to do 26 in rims was $15.00 in good ole USA GA. even higher on eBay if you know an online vendor I would be most grateful and I git a proper tube today and even the bike shop recommende a slime tube ? Only $8.50 and Shwinnand Bells were $13.00 and they said for MTB they all recommended SLIME - Slime tubes ? Supposed to be puncture proof ? Possible high profit to newbies I have no idea but the tube I have is a Shwinn and I plan to repair and save for emergency ?

I have always changed tires and tubes buy hand no tolls is this bad or unusual ? Just need to decide on an inflation system ? I have Skewers for ? Axels and no tools required even so I use Vise Gripes to get tight ? Last thing I want is a wheel to come off doinf 50 mph on a bike !

Thank you in advance for your time, knowledge and assistance . I will mount tube and tire tomorrow and ride hard and re adjust derailer and brakes if need be ? At 6^ ft and 225 lbs even hard St. riding requires adjustments after removal and reinstall ? For me ? Weight will most likely stay the same even with increased cardio of bike riding already jump a log chain as opposed to jumping rope been hitting a homemade bag in basement hope to purchase a heavy bag in the next mth or so
cool.png

they all recommended SLIME - Slime tubes ? Supposed to be puncture proof ?

They have a thick low viscosity liquid inside them, when the tube is punctured the "slimy" liquid is supposed to close the puncture hole... I never used them myself and I think I remember reading somewhere that they dont actually self repair the tube, rather then slowing the rate at which the tubes are deflated... Maybe worths the $$ maybe not... no idea. I think that most of the flats protection comes from the tires though...

If you want to get some tires btw I found some really great prices on this ventor in Germany on continental tires :
They sell for example 2 continental road bike tires for about 60euro whilst they cost around 50euro each on the shops here! They also have some offers on tubes etc:

http://www.bike-discount.de/

Oh in USA Army and USMC are 2 different branches of the Military ? There is the Army , Navy , and Air Force that are reqular Military and then the USMC 1st in and last out more US Marines Killed in Beruitt Than other brances went ashore . A forgotten Generation of men that died ?

Sounds rough... But then again... no crazies...
wink.png
For me it was exactly like that, exactly
big-smile.png
: (Ofcourse I was running on a combination of Sleep deprivation induced psychotic symptoms, Sensimila, Booze, Acid, Vending machine sandwiches and Benzos.
big-smile.png
Just kidding, ehmmm for most of that stuff anyway...
big-smile.png
)

0.jpg

My post disappeared ? Thanks for your help gents ? I guess I adked to many wuestions ? Something flashed and said since you are new her ? and some more words I did not have time to read ? I applologize if I did something wrong ?

My post disappeared ? Thanks for your help gents ? I guess I adked to many wuestions ? Something flashed and said since you are new her ? and some more words I did not have time to read ? I applologize if I did something wrong ?

On the first few posts you cant post pictures before they are aproved by an admin or something I think...

1993 Diamond Back Accent

ame bike different angle please offer thoughts Trash or ride I had a ball today but can't seem to get rear tire pressure exact when my 225 butt sits on the nice soft seat . . . lol the back tire seems to go down to much ?

Lookin good...
wink.png

These seem some pretty aggresive tires though... Where are you going? Stalingrad?
big-smile.png

Something like these might be fine if you are not slow on the deep mud all the time:

Are you riding on snow or ice?

Maybe you wanna check some brake pads too.
wink.png