New 2 Forum Old Guy 54 Old Bike 20 yr old Diamond Back Accent any advise welcome please read

OK I looking at brake pads I have a Shimano Brake System ( not sure of the # ) The pads i have I can depress had and make the rear tire skid or do a Ft wheel stand on the front . But they make a sound like finger nails on a chalk board ! I was going to buy whole new Shimano metal and pad all ready mounted in red metal and black pad to off set the black bike . I think I want to go with 55mm and I see they offer MTB , Road Bike , Metal and Alloy pads ? ? ? ? ? I am somewhat sure my bike being 20 years old that it appears to have aluminium wheel = metal ? So please correct me if I am wrong I at this time plan to order pads for MTB and a metal rim in 55 mm ? That seems to be the standard size and this is a MTB and as I shared appears to have metal wheels ? Only question I have is are metal wheels considered to be the Chrome shinny wheel and surly alimium is not an alloy is it ? I am still wearing the old pads down right now since they do stop only sounds like a train stopping when I depress them
dead.png

The BOG fender I bought doesn't fit due to my center pull brake and my bike is so old that you can't even mount them to the stem and clear the front brake mount ?

Still waiting on the tires must be UPS they are the slowest Ground delivery in the USA !

I am starting to enjoy riding the bike and mataing a straight line . . .lol kind of
dead.png

So still need new grips ( another decission ) I feel like a sissy but I really like the soft gel type ! After I decide on these I will be ready to grow and become one with this new machine ! I have had to raise the seat ---made a bunch of difference in how the bike rode and the ease of pedaling + I raised the bars to make more confrontable to ride ?
Now wondering if I may want to find a way to raise the front bars even more and is it goofy to turn the stem around and make the bars closer to me the rider so I am in more of an upright position I have not seen any threads say no and I really don't see a reason not to unless it will drasticly effect the stearing of the bike ? ? I am sure it will but I was hoping for some imput before I do the swap ? ?

I have a mini bike shop being the dad of 4 and a pac rat to boot I think I could and will tear another bike down andhave Rock Shocks and top of the line components that I already have in my possession and give it to my 18 year old son ?

I also have 3 Trick bikes a Haro , a Diamond Back, and a no name that has all the extras except it's a no name bike ? CMM ? Is that a no name bike Oh and one female tube mountain bike . None have disk brakes and none have rear suspension but all have ft rock shocks and good tires so I am going to tune and clean and try to sell the fpr $175.00 each I may be crazy but the front shocks and shifters and tires and rms and brakes IMHO are worth that much and if the will not bring that much together I will take them apart and part them out which I really think I would get more for them that way ? I know I would have been happy to pa $35.00 for a set of good tires and IMHO a rear rim should bring $35,00 and a front $25.00 ? Brakes front and rear $35.00 , Rock Shocks $125.00 Shifters and crank IMO should go with rear wheel and the Cranks with ft shifter ? Got some kids bikes $25.00 and I have a Mint condition Orange County Chopper that ring stupid money to the right ppl on eBay ? So clear some room and make some $$$$$
smile.png

If the front brake can put the bike on its nose and the rear brake locks the wheel up, you don't need new brake pads. Note that locking the rear wheel up isn't a good way to slow the bike down. It's much better to apply enough rear brake that the brakes don't quite get to the point of locking up the rear. Note also that when the bike starts to rotate over the front wheel (i.e. the rear wheel lifts under braking), you've achieved maximum front braking. The goal is, however, to keep the rear wheel on the ground so that it can contribute to braking. As for the sound you're hearing while braking, that might be corrected by cleaning the brake surface on the rims with some alcohol and a scotchbrite pad. You might also need to toe the brakes in a bit so that the leading edge of the brake pad touches the rim first. As for your stem and a more upright position, don't turn the stem around. Instead, get a stem with more rise (angle), a stem that is shorter, or a stem that is shorter and has more rise. Another option would be an adjustable stem, i.e. a stem on which the rise can be adjusted (see image below)
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90
There is also a device called a stem riser which essential raises the height of your fork's steerer tube (the tube onto which your stem is fastened) that could also provide the solution you need. To give a specific answer would require seeing what kind of stem you currently have. Can you post a picture of stem on the bike?

The sound is probably from some oil or something on the rims... I had the same problem. But if you clean the rims and the pads it should go away... I might go away gradually though...

Lots of info about bike handling like steering with various geometries can be found on this book:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/bicycling-science

Sure ! Thank you so much for the time and information . The pads are only 3 years old and are a little on the small side according to other bikes I have looked at but I am sure the bike shop put standard stock pads on the bike 3 years ago when they tuned everything including the spokes up on the bike

1) I had a 20 year old Diamond Back Accent that when it was a baby back in the 90's saw some real abuse and hard riding and the shop really liked the condition it was in they just did a Tune up on the shifters and added brakd pads and tuned the spokes It has a 1st Generation Rock Shock on the back and is a hard tail on the rear !

2) It sat in the dry for 10 years with little attention 4 years ago I started track / trail riding with my Daughter and 2 younger sons at the time the boys rode trickbikes and my daughter road a Trek and we had a lot of Quality time together
embarrassed.png
!

3) About a tear ago I startedsome very minor track / trail riding for health reasons and I took a turn ffor the worse health wise . I am 54 and 100% Disabled but last Oct I started TRT Hormone replacement and I feel 25 again best thing I have ever done in my life except divorcing my ex in 02 ! Like the fountain of youth and the side effect are great ! For info feel free to PM or IM e I have invested 1000's of hours in research and I know more than your average MD does Sooooo just sayng I have nothing to gain by telling you the truth
cool.png
but still can't type ! I did a Spray bomb / can paint job and sanded and primed and painted almost everything matte Black . So paint on the rims is most likely where the screeching is coming from ? I will check the allingment of the pads as you suggested and see but feel confidet it is pads on matte paint ?

4) Question I have Shimano Brakes and the bike is a nmountain Bike so do I buy MTB pads and I see they offer 55mm and 72mm for Shimano MTB's do I have to stay with the stock size or can i go the a pad with a larger surface since I want to go with a red back and a black pad and can buy all 4 metal and pads for about $35.00 or less Soo could someone shed some thought as to what would be best I am waiting on the tire that I have shown in a previous post in this same thread ? So please offer up the sizw you would use frm the pics I am going to post again and the ntires a semi slicks Serfas CTR Drifters 25 x 2.0 Mountain Bike/ Commiters and I posted a pic thre paot prevous !

5) Question again On the Sten I am going to post a pic after you view it offer up suggestion as to the Kewl looking Factor in raisinf the handle bars I have 3 othe donor bikes that all have newer Pock Shocks on them and have geater clearence between the frok brace / center pull brake and the stem Will this give me any rise and would the Shock swap be worth the time not really that mich time involved I have worked on this bike so much over the years so in you opiniom of a shock swap would be worth the time aI have 3 free shocks to choose from ? I am thinking yes and sell the 1st Gen Rock Shock for parts I have heard that they are of some value due to th need for parts frorm them and NONE being around ? One guy told me a 1st Gen Rock Shock was worth $175.00 just for parts ? INPUT PLEASE ?

6) Pictures of bike & Stem & Ft Brake and handle bar components .

Is this ZOOM Stem any good or should I go and buy a whole new unit as opposed to modifing this one it is pretty small IMO ?
Also you can see the RIMs pretty good here ? They are painted black and you can see the shape of the rim and the Gen I ROCK SHOCK I 0 clerance between the center pull brake mount and the Stem head ? No way No how to install any type of fender I have seen and I have 3 more newer Rock Shocks ? Does newer = better and are they going to give me more rise in my bars and not look off balance ? What and where should I measure ? I am guessing the rim is aliiunmum under all those coats of Black paint ? Should I sand the paint off or let the brakes wear it off over time ? So when I buy brake pads that come with the metal backing attached do I buy MTB Metal pads or MTB Alloy Pads and I see 55mm and 72mm does a 72mm stop better that a 55mm or do I have an opition other than the stock sixe that is on the bike now ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

THOUGHTS : on this tire for 80% Street and I live in the country there will be some gravel roads every day but mainly asaphault ? So tuff enough ? all the tubes at any store except a Bike Shop are Slime Tubes and I do not at this time have an air source on my bike for repair I wanted to go Co2 but my valve stems are not the proper type ? I am sure they make adaptors are they useful as a tube and a Co2 cartriges or a 1/2 Dozen do not take up that much space ? I looked at these tires in the Bike shope and I got 2 tires and 2 slime tues and 2 rim Stripes for the price of one of these tires at the bike shop aI bought 2 26 x2.0 559 mm for $64.00 My current tires are 26 x 1.5 - 195 the Serfas did not list a last # like the 195 but both do state 559 mm ?

23:02 EST headed to the gym in my Explorer still not bike confident yet and not sure my 54 year olds bones could make it home after the Workout ? lol
smile.png

Quote: Originally Posted by BuzzardMarine .

3) best thing I have ever done in my life except divorcing my ex in 02 but still can't type ! I did a Spray bomb / can paint job and sanded and primed and painted almost everything matte Black . So paint on the rims is most likely where the screeching is coming from ? I will check the allingment of the pads as you suggested and see but feel confidet it is pads on matte paint ?

4) Question I have Shimano Brakes and the bike is a nmountain Bike so do I buy MTB pads and I see they offer 55mm and 72mm for Shimano MTB's do I have to stay with the stock size or can i go the a pad with a larger surface since I want to go with a red back and a black pad and can buy all 4 metal and pads for about $35.00 or less Soo could someone shed some thought as to what would be best I am waiting on the tire that I have shown in a previous post in this same thread ?

5) Question again On the Sten I am going to post a pic after you view it offer up suggestion as to the Kewl looking Factor in raisinf the handle bars I am thinking yes and sell the 1st Gen Rock Shock for parts I have heard that they are of some value due to th need for parts frorm them and NONE being around ? One guy told me a 1st Gen Rock Shock was worth $175.00 just for parts ?

THOUG

23:02 EST headed to the gym in my Explorer still not bike confident yet and not sure my 54 year olds bones could make it home after the Workout ? lol

big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png

Divorced huh?
big-smile.png
I still wonder what would happen if I was still with that Vegan GF I had...
big-smile.png

"Nick you are pilling up your socks in the corner".

"Nick I dont mind that you eat meat but I find it disgusting"

"Nick if I have a baby I wanna raise it Vegan " (know any dead baby jokes btw? Or some baby negligence court cases?)
big-smile.png

"Nick you are very hyperactive"

"Nick you wanna have some mushroom paste from a tube for lunch?"

"Nick I cant read the ingredients on this can you read all of them and translate them to me to see if it has any animal products in?"

"Nick did you know that Haribo jello bears are made from pigs spines?"

"Nick I like how you smell (few months later: Nick can you use some deodorant?)"

"Nick wanna go to this fruity vegan farm and work for free?"

"Nick ask the waitress if everything is vegan in the vegetable plate"

"Nick I am coming over for Christmas, will all the plates be vegan?"
big-smile.png

I had a pet chameleon once. It was only eating insects and they had to be alive (as in moving) for it to see them and eat them. Still easier to feed then the Vegan GF...
big-smile.png

Ok to the questions:

3) Did you DIY paint the rims? Thats a bit of a no-no as rim surface is part of the braking mechanism. Brakes convert moving energy into heat with the use of friction. The friction force from the brake-rim surface is transfered into the tires which then stop the bike. I dont think sanding them is a good idea either... If you could restore the original surface somehow it would be great...

4) Your brakes by the look of it are cantilever brakes. They have a wider clearance from the rims to ensure that they are not clogged by mud. You could use V-brakes too. There are some V-brakes with big enough clearance for fixed fenders. When getting fenders its good if they can be detached when force is applied to them. If a rock for instance gets stuck between the wheel and the fender that could block the wheel and that could be dangerous...

5) Raising the stem should be very doable, but it might require parts. Like a new stem. Only disadvantage a less aerodynamic position I guess.

The tires should be fine, but they might wear out quicker on the gravel...

For inflation a floor pump is great to have around but for on the move repairs CO2 catridges are great... Fast, easy to carry, but about 3euros each... Maybe a mini pump is ok too but it might be harder to inflate the tires compared to the floor pump...

Good luck!
smile.png

What is a V Brake ?

I probably have some to change off of another bike and I could change Rock Shox and Brake at the same time how are they different and is my stem just average or worth keeping or should I just change complete front end off of doner bike to mine ?

I will take pics tomorrow and of other wheels I have I may change whole ft end including front 26 in wheel I have one MTB bike with 29 on it ?

Originally Posted by BuzzardMarine
What is a V Brake ?

I probably have some to change off of another bike and I could change Rock Shox and Brake at the same time how are they different and is my stem just average or worth keeping or should I just change complete front end off of doner bike to mine ?

I will take pics tomorrow and of other wheels I have I may change whole ft end including front 26 in wheel I have one MTB bike with 29 on it ?
V Brake: (It has a bit less clearance from the rim I think)

I dont think your is a 29er... Those got in the market last year or something...

You mean changing the whole handlebar and stem assembly? Can see why not especially if you wanna adjust the bike to a new higher position.

Got my Serfa tires today will install tomorrow and post up a pic ! Not sure if I really want to change the whole front end and cables and shifters and then nee new grips may be a project for when I am really bored ?

Starting to get cool in GA. lol 28* in the early am one night so far and a high of 46* cool for us . . . lol
smile.png

Got my Serfa tires today will install tomorrow and post up a pic ! Not sure if I really want to change the whole front end and cables and shifters and then nee new grips may be a project for when I am really bored ?

Starting to get cool in GA. lol 28* in the early am one night so far and a high of 46* cool for us . . . lol
smile.png
Cool!
smile.png
Pics would be cool...
smile.png

I am kinda thinking of tires too...
confused.png

Originally Posted by Volnix
Cool!
smile.png
Pics would be cool...
smile.png

I am kinda thinking of tires too...
confused.png
I did not get them mounted today spent the day at the VA I will Post up Fri . Pics of the tires are in earlier post in this thread :)

20 YEAR OLD DIAMOND BACK MTB CONVERSTION 90% COMPLETED PICS AND COMMENTS AND EST. COST
LONG POST
smile.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardMarine .
I did not get them mounted today spent the day at the VA I will Post up Fri . Pics of the tires are in earlier post in this thread :)

LS DIAMOND BACK ACCENT MTB TO COMMUTER AND ESTIMATED COST

LS DIAMOND BACK CONVERTED TO A ALL TERRIAN COMMTER WENT FROM 26 X 1.5 - 195 MBT TO 26 X 2.0 SERFAS SEMI SLICKS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

LOVE THEM FAT TIRES !

20 YR OLD MTB PAINTED MATTE BLACK & CUSTOM DECALS 2 COVER YEAR OF HARD OFF RD USE

MTB PRE CONVERSION PIC

PRE MTB CONVERSION PIC

MTB 90% COMPLETE TOTAL COST BREAK OUT AT END MORE DETAILED PICS TO COME

SERFAS 26 X 2.0 COMMUTER TIRES AND TUBE COMBO FROM eBay TOTAL $64.00

VIEW OF STORAGE BAG $9.99 AND GPS IPHOME STORAGE , SPARE TUBE & TIRE CHANGE KIT $4.99 & ACCESSORY BAR FOR LIGHTS $14.99 , COMPUTER ,MAIN HEAD LAMP 5 LED BULBS (BRIGHT) 3 SETTINGS & TAIL LAMP LIGHTS RED BRIGHT 6 SETTINGS , 4 WRAP AROUND LIGHTS $4.99 3 SETTINGS ( BRIGHT ENOUGHT lol ) , BELL HORN NOT INSTALLED LOUD , $6.99 ALL TOTAL $43.00

5 SETTINGS VERY BRIGHT. NOTE NEW LIGHT AND RIDGED METAL TEETH PEDALS $9.99

EbAY MADE BIN OFFER $12,.00 SHIPPED
smile.png

FOX ROCKSTAR MATTE HELMENT $39.99 STOLE IT
smile.png
CUSTOM PHANTOM PUMP PAINTBALL MARKER MY HOBBY ALSO HEAD SHOTS AT 75 FT AT 345 FEET PER SECOND
smile.png
PAINTBALL MARKER CUSTOM BUILT PRICELESS TO ME ! I SHOOT 35 TO 30 YEAR OLD HOT DOGE WITH ELECTROS IN HE HEAD AND LAUGH AT THE AND YOU CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON THAT WHEN i AM 54 AND SPANKING THES GUYS WITH HTO GUNS THAT ARE FULL AUTO AND SHOOT 40 + BALLS PER SECOND AND i SHOOT MAYBE 2 BALLS PER SECOND
smile.png
aND iT WILL SHOOT PEST ALSO INCLUDING ASS HOLES IN CARS . . . . . . . .lol !

DO THE MATH , DO RUN YOU WILL JUST HURT TIRIED !
smile.png

MATTE BLACK FOX

ROCKSTAR LIMITED EDITION I SAW SOME FOR $129.00

COMPUTER / SPEEDOMETER AND HORN NOT INSTALLED YET NOTE NEW PEDALS

THE ACCESSORY BARS WAS AN AFTER THOUGHT AND A BIT PRICEY BUT VERY FUNCTIONAL AND EVEN AT 15.00 I AM HAPPY WITH IT ! tIRES NO REGRETS AND THE PEDALS ARE VERY STABLE FOR A BIG GUY LIKE ME I CAN ACTUALL CRANK AWAY ON THEN AND THEY DO NOT FLEX
smile.png

I WELCOME YOUR COMMENTS GOOD AND BAD ! mAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO ME i AM HAPPY AND I DO SEE MY DESIRES COMING TRUE THAT THE BIKE WILL EVENTUALLY BE 40% OR MOR OF MY TRANSPORTATION . AS FOR THE CENTER PULL BRAKES i CAN LIVE WITH THEM AND i AM GOING TO USE THE PADS i HAVE UNTIL I WEAR ALL THE PAINT THAT MY da PAINTED THE RIMS WITH . . . lol i WILL GO BACK WITH RED SHAMINO BADS AND BACKS ALL IN ONE THAT JUST BOLT UP !

A QUESTION HERE I SEE 52 MM AND AS HIGH AS 72 IN ? ? IN MY MIND OR IMO I WANT WIDE PADS CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD BUY ? THEY ARE NOT THAT PRICEY SET OF 4 $14.00 BUT I AM IN HOPES OF ONLY PURCHASING 1 SET OF 4 SO YOU GENTS HAVE BEEN SO HELPFUL ; I COME TO YOU AGAIN HUMBLY WHAT SIXE PAD DO I HAVE TO BUY ? DO I JUST STICK WITH THE STOCK WIDTH ? I HOPE MOT AND EVEN NOT SO KEWL LOOKING I AM IN LOVE WITH MY BIKE AND WITH THAT ba HELMENT ILOOK LIKE i KNOW WHAT I AM DOING . . lol THEY HAVE A FEW MORE ON eBay BIT ONLY 3 MORE AT THAT PRICE IN A LARGE ? NOT SURE IF IT IS A REALLY GOOD HELMENT OR NOT BUT I AM HAPPY WITH IT AND GLAD I AM A BARGAIN SHOPPER ! THAT IS JUST A BAD ASS HELMENT AND I LIKE IT A LOT ? mAYBE SOME DAY SOMEONE WILL SHARE WHAT TYPE AND WHY I SHOULD BUY A CERTAIN SHOE ? AS FOR ME AND MYSELF WE WEAR 3/4 COMFRONTABLE BOOTS AND I AM A HAPPY CAMPER ? I AM SURE THIS SOUNDS STUPID TO ALL YOU HARD CORE REAL BIKERS AS FOR ME THEY WEAR GOOD AND THE HEAVIER THE BETTER AS LONG AS I CAN GET UP THE HILLS ! I AT THIS TIME WOULD NOT TRADE IT FRO A NEW BIKE THAT COST $2000.00
cool.png
AS I SAID PLEASE COMMENT 1 AND ALL I WELCOME ALL COMMENT GOOD OR BAD ? SINCE I HAVE MADE ALL OF THE CHOICES MYSELF ? I GOT WHAT I WANTED NOT POSSILY THE SMARTEST CHOICES lol BUT WTF I AM A HAPPY CAMPER ! AS FOR RIGHT NOW I CAN LIVE WITH ALL THE CHOICES I HAVE MAD AND RODE MY ASS OFF TODAY AND I'LL BE ONE HURTING OLD MAN ABOUT LATE sUN OR mONDAY ? BIT JUST MATBE I CAN WORK MOST OF THE HURT OUT IN THE GYM
straight-face.png
PLEASE !
POST UP NOW TELL ME WHAT I DID WRONG AND WAT MY FUTURE GOALS SHOULD BE ? PLEASE ?

TOTAL INVESTED $160.00 SAY $175.00 IN CASE I MISSED SOMETHING INCLUDING HELMENT AND MAY DO A LABOR ONLY SWAP TO V BRAKES AND NEWER ROCK SHOX + HANDEL BAR GRIPS WITH BUILT IN BAR ENDS ; ALSO A V STORAGE BAG THAT GOES ON THE BAR IN FRONT OF THE SADDEL COST ABOUT $15.00 FOR A 4 COMPARTMENT QUALITY STORAGE ! I WILL HAVE A BRAND NEW USED BOAT ANCHOR GREAT FOR USE ALL OVER TOWN AND EVEN ON A DIRT RD. I EVEN HIT THE POWER LINES TODAY AND DIFFERENT BUT I ACTUALLY ENJOY THE SLIDING AND NOW TO HONE MY STREET RIDING SKILLS ! THE TIRES ARE AMAZING ! I AM VERY HAPPY AND ALSO VERY HAPPY WITH THE DRASTIC CHANGE FOR SMALL AMOUNT OF $$$ ! i HAVE ROAD IN 3 DIFFERENT BIKE PARKS AND TRAILS 2 SINCE I GOT THE TIRES ON AND i AM SO IMPRESSED BY THE TIRES i CAN'T STRESS IT ENOUGH !

I AM ADDICTED AND i RIDE 3 TIMES A DAAY AND KEEP THE BIKE IN THE BACK OF MY POS EXPLORER ! I HAVE MORE ATACHMENT TO MY BIKE THAN MY VEHICLE
smile.png

Lookin' good!!!
big-smile.png

Helmet is fine... if you bought it in the US its at least CPSC certified (probably) and thats a strict standard... Not as strict as SNELL but strict enough...
big-smile.png

Oh and btw... absolutely bad-ass lookin'!
big-smile.png

PS:
"...as a joke...":
big-smile.png

0.jpg

Thanks man you have really been a huge and almost only Forum member that has taken time to answer my questions !

• Any thoughts on my brake pad swap as to size ; there was one time today of vy fasrery hard breaking that my brakes didn't stop at 100% I just blew this off and thought they were hot and had hardened , do to heavy breaking and the very next time when they had cooled 52 mm they functioned fine ? Do you agree with my replacement plans for the pads ( Shamino and I think mine has 52 mm .) I want to go to a pad with more surface and they all seem to cost with-in $7.00 difference between the ones I want a full set of 4 includinging brakes and backs an red in color ; these cost less than $20.00 for a set of 4 or 2 pair . What are your thoughts .

• On eother opition I have looked at is the seat post with a spring in it very cheap even on made by Bell was less than $20.00 I will be doing a lot fo down hiull crusing ? It looked very functional and comfronting ? Have you seen thes if so do you have an opinion . Now don't get me wrong I do want this for trainingbut hey I am human and if the spring post functions why not take advantage of the cheap comfront if possible ?

• ANY other add on you would consider besides items I listed in previous post ?

• Believe it or not I read in an old Bike review that these bikes have very good welds ?

Est. $175.00 in needed and desired add ons . Good as new for me !
Commuter with add ons , USMC Custom , ready for cruizing to gym and school at 54
cool.png

Passes the following test standards for safety: CPSC1203, EN 1078-1997

Oh & Bad Ass Brain Bucket . Only $39.99 Limited edition Fox Rockstar New R/T $129.99 in UK

20 Year old Diamond Back Accent before commuter add - ons
smile.png

NOTE PLEASE READ PREVIOUS 4 POST AND COMMENT ! PLASE !TELL ME TH GOOD THHE BAD AND THE UGLY ABOUT MY BIKE :) 54 year old man that has been on TRT for 13 mths ! I think I am 32 now anti aging is great :)

• On an old bike like this one that has center pull brakes would you bother with a front shock / fork swap ?

• Any thoughts on my brake pad swap as to size ; there was one time today of vy fasrery hard breaking that my brakes didn't stop at 100% I just blew this off and thought they were hot and had hardened , do to heavy breaking and the very next time when they had cooled 52 mm they functioned fine ? Do you agree with my replacement plans for the pads ( Shamino and I think mine has 52 mm .) I want to go to a pad with more surface and they all seem to cost with-in $7.00 difference between the ones I want a full set of 4 includinging brakes and backs an red in color ; these cost less than $20.00 for a set of 4 or 2 pair . What are your thoughts .

• On eother opition I have looked at is the seat post with a spring in it very cheap even on made by Bell was less than $20.00 I will be doing a lot fo down hiull crusing ? It looked very functional and comfronting ? Have you seen thes if so do you have an opinion . Now don't get me wrong I do want this for trainingbut hey I am human and if the spring post functions why not take advantage of the cheap comfront if possible ?

• ANY other add on you would consider besides items I listed in previous post ?

If the fork is working ok I would not bother changing it... Unless you want one with disc brake fittings or less or more suspension travel etc... Your local bike shop can tell you if the fork is working ok or if you need to repair it or refurbish it or something... If you go for disc brakes you might need to change the wheel hubs too though!

The brake pads are pretty important and if they dont have adequate braking performance its probably a good idea to change them. Color in brake pads is often an indication of their compound. Eg. in Koolstop they have the normal black ones and the "salmon" ones which are a more aggresive compound for use in the wet. The break pads wear out the rim and the more aggresive ones wear out the rim faster. Brake pads are cheap but wheels are pretty expensive. I am not sure about dimensions... I havent tried many brands either so I cant recommend any specific one but I hear good reviews about "koolstop" and "swissstop" with the swissstop ones being pretty expensive last time I checked...

If you wanna go for a suspension seat post and you think its gonna make a nicer ride why not? It might affect performance but... You can also go for a suspension saddle (I bet there are some)...

Other upgrades to consider hmmm... Maybe v-brakes? Bottle holders and insulated bottles? Comfier grips? Clipless pedals? Rack panniers?

Well, one wrong thing is to post in all caps. Outside of that, your bike looks fine.

MAN I HAVE LOST SEVERAL LBS OF FAT SINCE I STARTED WITH THIS BIKE PROJECT ! THAT WAS MY GOAL ! OH A NOTE ABOUT THE TIRES . . . lol i BUSTED MY ARS 2 TIMES TODAY JUST TRANSFEERING FROM GRASS TO ASPHALT . . . .lol THEY ARE SLICKER AND DO RIDE LIKE A DIFFERENT BIKE I LOVE THEM BUT WHEN GOING FROM GRASS TO ASPAULT YOU MUST APPROACH HEAD ON OR RISK A BUST ARS . . . . lol
54 AND LOVE LIFE BUT OFF THE CHAIN AND OUT OF THE BOX
smile.png

YES I AGREE I HAVE FOUND THAT SIMPLE MINDED YOUTHS WHO ARE CHALLANGED IN ANTHING DIFFERENT FROM THE GEEK NORM FIND IT HARD TO SORT THROUGH WORDS AND FIND THHE COMMON SENSE MEANING TO THEM UNLESS THEY FALL INTO THE LIBERAL AL GORE INTERNET RULES ?

I GOT A SUGGESTION TRY REAL HARD AND SEE IF YOUR SUPER HONED GREY MATTER CAN SORT THROUGH THE LETTERS THAT ARE PART OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THAT SPELL THE SAME WORDS NO MATTER IF CAPS OR LOWER CASE ? I AM NOT IN YOUR GREEN PEACE DECODER RING , HUG A TREE CLUB AND IF THAT DOESN'T WORK AND YOU FIND IT TO MUCH OF A CHALLANGE JUST BLOCK MY POST
sarcasm.png

NOW NEXT MOST SIMPLETONS COME BACK AT ME AND SAY SOMETHIG ABOUT MY SPELLING OR GRAMAR ? SO I WILL SAVE YOU THIS ONE I WAS RAN OVER BY A TRUCK IN 02 AND LOST MY LONG TERM MEMORY I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER WALK AGAIN OR GO ANWHERE WITHOUT AN O2 TANK .PLEASE FOR GIVE ME FOR BEING HANDICAPPED ! SO THAT I WILL NOT BE SUCH A BURDEN TO THE TROLLS ON THE iNTERNET I AM GOING BACK TO SCHOOL THIS JAN TO LEARN ENGLISH FOR THE 2ND TIME AT THE AGE OF 54 . A LITTLE SHAMEFUL AND ALSO LEARN HOW TO USE PROPER GRAMMAR AMD THE CORRECT USE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ?

WISH ME LUCK BUT AFTER I LEARN I WILL MOST LIKELY STILL POST IN CAPS JUST BECAUSE IT PISSES NERDS OFF AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ME ATTEMPTING TO COMMUNIACTE THE BEST WAY I CAN ! WHAT LAW SAYS I AS A CHALLANGED HANDICAP MAN CAN'T USE CAPS AND IF IT IS A LAW I DO NOT RECONIZE IT BECAUSE AT THE AGE OF 19 I WAS KILLING ZIPPER HEADS IN LAOS AND I AM JUST A CRAZY US MARINE . I NEVER ASKED YOU TO LIKE ME ONLY THAT YOU ARE REQUIRED TO RESPECT ME BECAUSE i AM THAT GUY WHO KIILS WHAT GOES BUMP IN THE NIGHT
smile.png
I KILL IN HALF A HEART BEAT AND NEVER LOOKBACK ! I DID THAT SO COMPUTER NERDS COULD KEEP GETTING EXEMPTED FROM THE DRAFT AND GO TO COLLEGE AND AVOID THAT SENIOR TRIP TO SOUTH EAST ASAIA . BUT IT WAS VERY ENLIGHTENING THE FACT THAT THOSE SLANT EYED LITTLE TRUCKERS COULD RUN SO FAST AND YET NEVER LEARNED WHEN BEING TRACKED BY A US MARINE THAT THEY ONLY DIED TIRIED WHEN THEY COULD HAVE NOT RAN AND JUST LET ME SHOOT THEM AND NOT HAVE TO BAG AND HAUL THEIR SLIMY SLANT EYED BODIES BACK TO THE PIT WE THREW THEM ALL IN AND BURRIED WITH A TRACTOR
smile.png

GLAD YOU LIKE MY BIKE ! ARE THERE ANYMORE SUBJECTS WE NEED TO GET YOU CLEARED UP ON ? IF THERE ARE JUST GIVE ME A SHOUT AND I WILL FILL IN ALL THE BLANKS I CAN FOR YOU
smile.png
HAVE A HAPPY DAY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EXERCISING YOUR EDUCATION BY BEING AN INTERNET GRAMMAR POLICE WHILE YOU LOOK FOR A JOB ! ! ! !

GLAD YOU LIKE MY BIKE ! ARE THERE ANYMORE SUBJECTS WE NEED TO GET YOU CLEARED UP ON ? IF THERE ARE JUST GIVE ME A SHOUT AND I WILL FILL IN ALL THE BLANKS I CAN FOR YOU
smile.png
HAVE A HAPPY DAY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EXERCISING YOUR EDUCATION BY BEING AN INTERNET GRAMMAR POLICE WHILE YOU LOOK FOR A JOB ! ! ! !
Yeah... and dont listen anything "aliens" says coz everybody knows he is painting amazon women on his alu-fork...
big-smile.png

0.jpg

BuzzardMarine said:
GLAD YOU LIKE MY BIKE ! ARE THERE ANYMORE SUBJECTS WE NEED TO GET YOU CLEARED UP ON ? IF THERE ARE JUST GIVE ME A SHOUT AND I WILL FILL IN ALL THE BLANKS I CAN FOR YOU :smile:   HAVE A HAPPY DAY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EXERCISING YOUR EDUCATION BY BEING AN INTERNET GRAMMAR POLICE WHILE YOU LOOK FOR A JOB ! ! ! !
Uhm, it's got nothing to do with grammar but everything to do with how you communicate on the internet. All caps is associated with shouting. I made no comments about your grammar. You'll notice that I wasn't a **** when I responded, but you chose to be a ****. In fact, you can't point to a single post in which I was a **** to you; however you offered the above excellent example of how to be ****. As bonus you attempted a few insults. No one is required to respect you, especially given the way you responded.

Originally Posted by alienator

Uhm, it's got nothing to do with grammar but everything to do with how you communicate on the internet. All caps is associated with shouting. I made no comments about your grammar. You'll notice that I wasn't a **** when I responded, but you chose to be a ****. In fact, you can't point to a single post in which I was a **** to you; however you offered the above excellent example of how to be ****. As bonus you attempted a few insults. No one is required to respect you, especially given the way you responded.
SO that would imply ypu have said all you have to say to me and will not be inserting anymore comments towards me or my post ?

IMHO I think you have made a wise decission since all you have to say are like the filler pars of a news papre not missed if not read so why post them in a way as to where people will have to read the meaningless statements and most of all not asked for
smile.png

So have a good week and ******** :) Oh not on your shie , please pay attentiom !

Again the post you were refering to did not have any all cap statements in t you need glasses ! After you called me out the next post was all caps did you hear me ?