New 20" 406 erto tubular clincher tire Tufo

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ckaudio1, Apr 14, 2003.

  1. Ckaudio1

    Ckaudio1 Guest

    Ok, I feel like I've done something good for the bent community interested in better speed. I
    contacted Tufo tires and communicated a need for a high quality 20" tubular tire to be mounted to a
    clincher rim. I let them know the size of the growing bent group in North America and of our
    growing race program. My first reply from the North American distributor was not to reassuring that
    they would make such a tire. They told me that nobody else had ever asked for this design before,
    so at this time they didn't feel a need to make one. If more interest was shown, then they would
    proceed. I didn't understand why they would build a 20" racing tubular for tubular rims but not a
    clincher rim. Who owns a 20" tubular rim anyhow? Anyways, I contacted Tufo directly and let them
    know my wants. I could have been selfish and not let anyone know about the new tire until after I
    already had one, but hey, you guys who race all may want this product. This time I hit the jackpot.
    Here is a reply to my plead from Tufo tires.

    Dear Mr. Chris Evans,

    thank you very much for the e-mail dated 6/4/03, for your interest in the TUFO products and for the
    all related valuable information.

    Also thanks to yours information we are going to launch TUFO Tubular Clincher 20" at width 19mm.

    For yours front 20" wheel /clincher rim/ unfortunately there is no possibility to put TUFO tubular
    or replace by other TUFO model without some special adjustment /if we rightly understood your
    meaning mentioned on the bottom of your e-mail/.

    In any case, please, let us know the internal width of the 20" clincher rims that you ride - see on
    the enclosed picture/.

    Please, let us know where are you from in order to recommend you the TUFO partners where you would
    buy mentioned products.

    In case of any questions do not hesitate to contact us anytime by return.

    Telephon: + 420 577 922 133

    Fax: + 420 577 922 238

    E-mail: [email protected]

    Visit us: www.tufo.com

    With Best Regards

    Milan Simek

    Business Manager

    Attacment: Clincher rim

    So, we will now have some very fast rolling tubular tires for our race bikes. Please email Tufo to
    let them know your interest. Here is a link to information about the tubular clincher design.

    www.tufo.com/

    Tags:

  2. David Luecke

    David Luecke Guest

    Awesome! The more tire choices, the better.

    --
    David Luecke Ridin' a RANS Vivo (wahoo!) - with 20" 406's Merritt Island, Florida USA

  3. ckaudio1 <[email protected]> wrote:
    : --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    : Ok, I feel like I've done something good for the bent community interested in better speed. I
    : contacted Tufo tires and communicated a need for a high quality 20" tubular tire to be mounted to
    : a clincher rim. I let them know the size of the growing bent group in North America and of our
    : growing race program. My first reply from the North American distributor was not to reassuring
    : that they would make such a tire.

    Why would one want tubular tires? Why do you insist on clincher rims? How can you even combine
    tubular and clincher?

  4. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Check out the URL in the original post. TUFO has a molded detail to engage the bead of a clincher
    rim. I never had the $$ for good tubulars so I went back to lite clinchers, but I hear tales of a
    certiain suppleness and gain in the all important and almighty need for speed . Looks like it would
    be a PITA to fix a flat.

    news:[email protected]...

    : --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------
    > : Ok, I feel like I've done something good for the bent community interested in better speed. I
    > : contacted Tufo tires and communicated a need for a high quality 20" tubular tire to be mounted
    > : to a clincher rim. I let them know the size of the growing bent group in North America and of
    > : our growing race program. My first reply from the North American distributor was not to
    > : reassuring that they would make such a tire.
    >
    > Why would one want tubular tires? Why do you insist on clincher rims? How can you even combine
    > tubular and clincher?
    >
    > --
    > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

  5. Joeg

    Joeg Guest

    But if you use TUFO sealant prophylactically, you almost never get flats. I prefer the full-on
    tubulars to the tubular clinchers, though. They indeed are a pain to change, albeit you almost never
    have to if you use the sealant.

    "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Check out the URL in the original post. TUFO has a molded detail to engage the bead of a clincher
    > rim. I never had the $$ for good tubulars so I went back to lite clinchers, but I hear tales of a
    > certiain suppleness and gain in the all important and almighty need for speed . Looks like it
    > would be
    > PITA to fix a flat.
    >
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > ckaudio1 <[email protected]> wrote:

    : --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > ------
    > > : Ok, I feel like I've done something good for the bent community interested in better speed. I
    > > : contacted Tufo tires and communicated a need for a high quality 20" tubular tire to be
    > > : mounted to a clincher rim. I let them know the size of the growing bent group in North
    > > : America and of our growing race program. My first reply from the North American distributor
    > > : was not to reassuring that they would make such a tire.
    > >
    > > Why would one want tubular tires? Why do you insist on clincher rims? How can you even combine
    > > tubular and clincher?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (ckaudio1) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I didn't understand why they would build a 20" racing tubular for tubular rims but not a clincher
    > rim. Who owns a 20" tubular rim anyhow?

    20" tubulars are commonly sold for mini-BMX racers. They're the 451 diameter, but the outside
    diameter is the same as a 20 x 1.75" clincher. BicycleMan has some:
    http://www.bicycleman.com/Specials/specials_Recum_Parts.html and Vittoria sells tires, too:
    http://www.vittoria.com/prodotti/tubolari/Juniores.htm

    I can't see the usefulness of the Tufo tubular/clincher design. There's so many good clincher tires
    in the 20" (406) size that the installation hassles hardly seem worth it: http://tinyurl.com/9zbz

    Jeff