New 20 Inch Rim Suggestions

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bob Stan, Apr 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Stan

Bob Stan Guest

My BikeE CT has developed a crack in the rear rim. I need to have the wheel rebuilt. Can anyone
    recommend a good 20 inch rim?

Tags:

2. Tom Sherman

Tom Sherman Guest

Bob Stan wrote:
    >
    > My BikeE CT has developed a crack in the rear rim. I need to have the wheel rebuilt. Can anyone
    > recommend a good 20 inch rim?

Since the rearward weight distribution of the BikeE design heavily loads the rear wheel, I suggest a
    wide box section rim such as the Sun Rhyno-Lite or Velocity Taipan. Because the 3x7 hub has a large
    flange diameter and the rim has a relatively small inside diameter, have it laced two-cross to
    reduce the angle of spokes entering the rim. Use high quality stainless steel spokes and have the
    wheel properly tensioned and stress relieved by a competent wheel builder.

I have had a hand built 2-cross, 14 Ga. stainless steel spoke, Sun Rhyno-Lite rim, SRAM (nee Sachs)
    Spectro 3x7 rear wheel on the back of a RANS Wave/Tailwind for several thousand miles and it is
    still as true as when I purchased it, and spoke tension has not decreased by any detectable amount.

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

3. Don

Don Guest

Visit Velocity at http://www.velocityusa.com/

Click on the recumbent rims choice on the left side. They have 5 (YES---FIVE)different rims in the
    406 size. They also have one 451 rim and one 349 rim. These guys are pushing into the recumbent
    market and I say great. They deserve our business. I have a 559 Velocity Razor on the rear of my
    Haluzak and it is a great rim. I have the black with machined sidewalls. Good luck.

4. Derek Swift

Derek Swift Guest

Sun Rhynolite

Derek

In <[email protected]> Bob Stan wrote:
    > My BikeE CT has developed a crack in the rear rim. I need to have the wheel rebuilt. Can anyone
    > recommend a good 20 inch rim?
    >

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.