New 2003 Lemond Zurich

SKAUFMAN12

Jul 12, 2004
I was at a LBS this weekend shopping for some warm weather clothing. Of course, I could not resist checking out all the new 2005 bicycles and the prices on the 2004 leftovers. Anyway, this shop has a new 2003 Lemond Zurich (in my size!) with full ultegra marked dwn to $1300. I believe they changed the wheels for race lites to plain races.

I curently have a 1 year old OCR1. Am I crazy to even think about a second (steel?, 2003?, $1300?) bike?

Crazy? Probably, but the Lemond steel frames sure do ride nice. I've been on a couple of them, and have been nothing but impressed.

There is no such thing as 'too many cycles'. There is only 'garage too small'.

SKAUFMAN12 said:
I was at a LBS this weekend shopping for some warm weather clothing. Of course, I could not resist checking out all the new 2005 bicycles and the prices on the 2004 leftovers. Anyway, this shop has a new 2003 Lemond Zurich (in my size!) with full ultegra marked dwn to $1300. I believe they changed the wheels for race lites to plain races.

I curently have a 1 year old OCR1. Am I crazy to even think about a second (steel?, 2003?, $1300?) bike?

The LBS in Richmond had one for $1450 in my size and I was seriously considering it, but I didn't like the color. It did test ride like a dream; if you like it go for it.

'03 Zurich for that price is a good deal. It's also one of the last of the 853 steelies. I say go for it but I'm a little biased to Lemonds.

55/Rad

I say go for it! Prior to buying a decent road bike last year, I did a lot of research and selected either the 2003 Buenos Aires or Zurich (pretty much the same bike). It came to down to whichever one I could find in my size, 61cm. Finally found a Buenos Aires and bought it last October; it has been an absolute pleasure, I could not be more satisfied. I've put over 4,000 miles on it and, other than tires and a new set rear brake pads ($6), it has needed absolutely nothing and still looks brand new. Last October I could barely get it around the block, by mid-summer I was doing centuries; it's fast, rides beautifully, and has never given the slightest problem.

That is an excellent price by the way.

I agree. I don't have one, but they look very sturdy to me, and I would expect it to last you many, many years.

The frame alone was retailing in Australia for over $1500 US!!

What size were you looking to buy? I am selling a 2003 lemond zurich that has about 25 miles on it and is in near new condition. I was asking 1099 on craigslist and will gladly entertain offers. I am 6'05" and I think the bike was the largest size offered that year (I thought 62/63 cm but not sure). I actually came to this site to try to track down sizing information for a perspective buyer.

SKAUFMAN12 said:

SKAUFMAN12 said:

I dont know if you got my reply and I dont know what size bike you ride, but I am 6'05" and I have a 2003 lemond zurich with about 25 miles on it that I am selling. I actually came to this site to try to find sizing info for a perspective buyer and saw your entry. asking $1099. It is in excellent condition, and has only very very minor decal peel under the top tube where the bike was resting on the stand. interested?

SKAUFMAN12 said:

Asking this group if getting a second bike is a good idea is like asking a heroin addict if he'd like another hit.

I trying to bring up the idea to my wife that I should have a 6th bike.

If you go for it, my guess is that you'll like it better than your OCR. I love my old 531 steel Trek.

So this Skaufmann person was considering purchasing a second bike, a 2003 Lemond Zurich, in October of 2004 and three years later we are suddenly replying to him/her? :confused: Well, I guess it is a long shot, anyway , and you have to follow all the sales leads! :D