New 4 day stage race in Tennessee Memorial Day weekend

nberk76

Oct 25, 2005
http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=2141
Edgar Soto Memorial Race in Tenn.

For Immediate Release – TriStar Cycling, Gran Fondo Cycles and MOAB Bike Shop are pleased to announce the inaugural Edgar Soto Memorial Stage Race to be held Memorial Day Weekend May 26th to May 29th. The four-day timed stage race will begin in Leiper’s Fork and finish in the town of Spencer on top of the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee. The event will offer a $17,100 cash purse; the largest purse for any Tennessee Bicycle Racing Association (TBRA) event. Racers will vie for the J. Alexander’s general classification yellow jersey and the Hincapie Sports sprinter’s green jersey.
“We’re very excited to bring true stage racing back to Tennessee, and with the support of our co-promoters, sponsors, host cities and spectators, we hope to elevate the Soto Memorial to a National Racing Calendar event in the next few years” said Brian Cote, president of TriStar Cycling Team.

Beyond the competition, the event is being held to increase motorist and cyclist awareness of the “Share the Road” initiative for safe cycling. Two years ago, Edgar Soto, the father of a local racer, died as a result of injuries sustained after being hit by a motorist.

“My family and I encouraged him to take up the sport of cycling, so my father began a daily routine which encompassed road cycling approaching 20 miles a day,” said James Soto, Edgar’s son. “After 42 years of hard work for one company and less than 2 years of retirement he was fitter than ever having now ridden every day for five months. Tragically, despite a sunny day with the sun to his back on a straight-as-an-arrow road, my father was struck by a motorist who ‘just didn't see him’ and later died as a result of massive brain trauma. The helmet he diligently wore was not enough.”

The Edgar Soto Memorial Stage Race begins Friday afternoon, May 26th with the Stage 1 time trial starting in Leiper’s Fork with the awards ceremony that evening at Puckett’s Grocery. Stage 2 moves to the office park of Maryland Farms in Brentwood as racers tackle a fast and demanding criterium. Stage 3 begins at the Williamson County Agricultural Center where racers must negotiate a circuit race with more than 1,000 feet of climbing per lap. And the penultimate stage starts and finishes in the town of Spencer, about 100 miles East of Brentwood. Stage 4 covers 77 miles of undulating terrain with almost 7,000 feet of climbing culminating with a three-mile climb up to the Cumberland Plateau. The event expects to host nearly 500 competitors racing in eight different categories, including Women’s Pro/1/2/3/4 and Men’s Pro/1/2.

Racers in all categories are encouraged to register early to secure a spot. Visit www.sotomemorial.org for online registration information and event details.

If you’re not racing, please come out and cheer on the competitors!