New 700C wheelset for freewheel cluster

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ABG, Jun 5, 2007.

1. ABG

ABG New Member

Hello all,

I am looking for a new wheelset for my bike. My steel Giant Option from 1998 has 2 dented (single-walled) rims that the LBS has trued but says they can't fix. My spokes have been breaking (which they replaced) but I am going to assume that this will continue and need to purchase new rims. I believe the spokes have started to break in the first place due to the dented rims; especially the severely dented front. I am having a hard time finding (online or at an LBS) double-walled wheels anymore that take freewheel clusters, because apparently the industry has gone 100% Shimano Cassette, and freewheel rims are only for "department store bikes." (Thanks a lot, LBS, for using that term to describe my bike; I know it was cheap but come on, it was made by a company, Giant, that sells exclusively through dealers.)

I really want double-walled rims, preferably with lots of spokes because I have been known to go off-road once in a while, on dirt roads, in the rain, and in the dark when one is likely to hit a pothole that one can't see (that's how my rims got dented in the first place). I also commute; so I would like a high spoke count.

Should I find a junk 700-mm bike that has good freewheel rims? (This may be a task by itself; most 700C bikes are not "junk.") Or should I buy new a new wheelset, and if so, please find me a site that sells wheelsets which take freewheel cluster. Thank you all in advance for anyone who will look into this matter; I don't want to buy a new bicycle and shouldn't have to because of "obsolescence" (9 years only?)

Alex

Tags:

2. Insaneclimber

Insaneclimber New Member

After 9 years i would think that your cluster is pretty much worn out anyway, so why not update to the more modern system? another option would be to buy a rim and rebuild your wheel with new spokes and rim, i presume alot of spokes means 36, its worth noteing that the extra strength from 36 spokes as compared to 32 is minimal. Best place to get "old" gear would have to be ebay.

3. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

Why not simply buy a new shimano wheelset?

New cassettes are quite cheap, and you can still easily find wheelsets that would fit the dropouts on your bike.

4. ABG

ABG New Member

Good observation. I forgot to mention that my cluster and chain were indeed replaced this past January. (January? Yeah that's a good time for a tune-up, because the bike shop needs something to do! :)) The idea of yet another cluster replacement does not make me warm-and-fuzzy inside, but might just be necessary. I did a quick check on eBay, and yes, it looks like it may be possible, but some of the sellers don't seem to know what kind of cluster (freewheel or cassette) that their wheels have. I've also be browsing craigslist for the steal of a used bike, but the only hint there about what kind of cluster the bike might have is the gear count (7 speeds or fewer would be an "assumed" freewheel).

Due to the number of modifications on my current bike (rear rack, two water-bottle holders, front and rear full-coverage fenders, light and lock attachments, and spring-loaded saddle; a fully geek bike!), the idea of switching bicycles does not thrill me. Looking to either junk a used bike for its wheels, or find a suitable wheelset (32 spokes and double-walled rims sound good). Let me know about any specific vendors out there.

5. p38lightning

p38lightning New Member

6. ABG

ABG New Member

Those are stunningly cheap. I am cheap, and so is my bike. So this might be OK; however most of the cheap rims are made of "alloy," whatever that means, and they don't often say just what brand of hub is there. Any brand of hub that I have at least heard of is OK (Shimano, Ultegra, whatver). Wouldn't I want an aluminum alloy (as opposed to a steel alloy)? I have emailed them for answers.

I am not going to trust the build too much at that price. But, my LBS would mount the freewheel cluster, so they can fix any uneven tension or truing and give me any opinion about the product, since they already said they don't have any double-walled wheels meant for freewheel clusters.