Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

New 9s cassette: shim on lock ring??

Started by Dan Brussee · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,007 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
30 October 2003
Last activity
31 October 2003
Original author
Dan Brussee
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,007
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What is this? This is the first Shimano cassette I have purchased in a while and I have never seen
    this before. There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock
    ring. The ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easlily
    removed, but I think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.

    It would seem this would make the serrations less useful if it is supposed to be left on. Do I
    remove it, or do I leave it on and let it deform to the matching serrations on the lockring and
    small gear serrations?

  2. "Dan Brussee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message =
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    | What is this? This is the first Shimano cassette I have purchased in a while and I have never seen
    | this before. There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock
    | ring. The ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easlily
    | removed, but I think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.
    |=20
    | It would seem this would make the serrations less useful if it is supposed to be left on. Do I
    | remove it, or do I leave it on and let it deform to the matching serrations on the lockring and
    | small gear serrations?

    Leave it on. I have only seen these on Ultegra and Dura-Ace cassettes. = Maybe you used to get the
    105 or RX100 stuff in the past.

    I have to admit, when I first saw it on an Ultregra cassette, I though = it was delamination of
    nickel plating or something. I almost took it = back.

  3. Dan Brussee said:

    What is this? This is the first Shimano cassette I have purchased in a while and I have never seen
    this before. There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock
    ring. The ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easily
    removed, but I think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.

    Quoted message said:

    It would seem this would make the serrations less useful if it is supposed to be left on. Do I
    remove it, or do I leave it on and let it deform to the matching serrations on the lockring and
    small gear serrations?

    It is a soft iron shim that is intended to make installation and removal easier. If the retaining
    nut is highly tightened without the shim, it might not be tightened enough and if tightened enough,
    might not be easy to remove. The mushy shim softens this effect. You can run without it. Just make
    sure its teeth are lubricated with some oil or grease. I guess Shimano decided the bite angle was
    too much for some people to properly tighten and undo. Both modes are affected.

    Jobst Brandt [email hidden]

  4. Dan<< There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock ring. The
    ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easlily removed, but I
    think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    Leave it alone until it tears or falls off, then ride..it isn't necessasry.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.