New 9s cassette: shim on lock ring??

Dan Brussee

Guest
What is this? This is the first Shimano cassette I have purchased in a while and I have never seen
this before. There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock
ring. The ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easlily
removed, but I think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.

It would seem this would make the serrations less useful if it is supposed to be left on. Do I
remove it, or do I leave it on and let it deform to the matching serrations on the lockring and
small gear serrations?

"Dan Brussee" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:[email protected]...
| What is this? This is the first Shimano cassette I have purchased in a while and I have never seen
| this before. There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock
| ring. The ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easlily
| removed, but I think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.
|=20
| It would seem this would make the serrations less useful if it is supposed to be left on. Do I
| remove it, or do I leave it on and let it deform to the matching serrations on the lockring and
| small gear serrations?

Leave it on. I have only seen these on Ultegra and Dura-Ace cassettes. = Maybe you used to get the
105 or RX100 stuff in the past.

I have to admit, when I first saw it on an Ultregra cassette, I though = it was delamination of
nickel plating or something. I almost took it = back.

Dan Brussee writes:

> What is this? This is the first Shimano cassette I have purchased in a while and I have never seen
> this before. There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock
> ring. The ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easily
> removed, but I think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.

> It would seem this would make the serrations less useful if it is supposed to be left on. Do I
> remove it, or do I leave it on and let it deform to the matching serrations on the lockring and
> small gear serrations?

It is a soft iron shim that is intended to make installation and removal easier. If the retaining
nut is highly tightened without the shim, it might not be tightened enough and if tightened enough,
might not be easy to remove. The mushy shim softens this effect. You can run without it. Just make
sure its teeth are lubricated with some oil or grease. I guess Shimano decided the bite angle was
too much for some people to properly tighten and undo. Both modes are affected.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

Dan<< There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock ring. The
ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easlily removed, but I
think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.
>><BR><BR>

Leave it alone until it tears or falls off, then ride..it isn't necessasry.