New 9s cassette: shim on lock ring??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dan Brussee, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Dan Brussee

    Dan Brussee Guest

    What is this? This is the first Shimano cassette I have purchased in a while and I have never seen
    this before. There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock
    ring. The ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easlily
    removed, but I think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.

    It would seem this would make the serrations less useful if it is supposed to be left on. Do I
    remove it, or do I leave it on and let it deform to the matching serrations on the lockring and
    small gear serrations?

    Tags:

  2. John Rees

    John Rees Guest

    "Dan Brussee" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
    news:[email protected]...
    | What is this? This is the first Shimano cassette I have purchased in a while and I have never seen
    | this before. There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock
    | ring. The ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easlily
    | removed, but I think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.
    |=20
    | It would seem this would make the serrations less useful if it is supposed to be left on. Do I
    | remove it, or do I leave it on and let it deform to the matching serrations on the lockring and
    | small gear serrations?

    Leave it on. I have only seen these on Ultegra and Dura-Ace cassettes. = Maybe you used to get the
    105 or RX100 stuff in the past.

    I have to admit, when I first saw it on an Ultregra cassette, I though = it was delamination of
    nickel plating or something. I almost took it = back.

  3. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Dan Brussee writes:

    > What is this? This is the first Shimano cassette I have purchased in a while and I have never seen
    > this before. There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock
    > ring. The ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easily
    > removed, but I think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.

    > It would seem this would make the serrations less useful if it is supposed to be left on. Do I
    > remove it, or do I leave it on and let it deform to the matching serrations on the lockring and
    > small gear serrations?

    It is a soft iron shim that is intended to make installation and removal easier. If the retaining
    nut is highly tightened without the shim, it might not be tightened enough and if tightened enough,
    might not be easy to remove. The mushy shim softens this effect. You can run without it. Just make
    sure its teeth are lubricated with some oil or grease. I guess Shimano decided the bite angle was
    too much for some people to properly tighten and undo. Both modes are affected.

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  4. Dan<< There is a very thin shim or washer attached to the inside serrated edge of the lock ring. The
    ring is loosely attached to the lock ring, but can slide around. It is not easlily removed, but I
    think I could remove it with a bit of twisting.
    >><BR><BR>

    Leave it alone until it tears or falls off, then ride..it isn't necessasry.