New and Used Pinarellos and Sram questions...help!

SammyLeopold

Aug 1, 2012
Ok here is the situation, I am thinking of buying a new Pinarello Rokh. I have the choice between Ultegra and Force/Rival. I tested the bike in Ultegra, (they didn't have the bike in stock in Sram). I loved the rocket like feel of the bike from a still start. However I think I like the Sram shifters better and am leaning towards the Sram. I am fearful though if I do I will lose the rocket like feel because of the Rival crank. The Ultegra looks stiffer than the Rival, is this my imagination? If it is stiffer, will I really see THAT big of a difference?

Now if that wasn't confusing enough...Today the manager of a reputable LBS, wants to sell me his 2010 Pinarello Dogma with Campagnolo Record but no wheels for $3000. Is this reasonable? He said he sent the frame out to be tested where they injected it with some sort of foam to make sure the frame was structurally sound and he has the documentation. So I am looking for opinions about this deal. Also if I decide to proceed, what other things should I look out for?

So, do I buy the used Dogma, or the Rokh with Ultegra or Sram...heeeelp! Thank you very much for your opinions!

-SL

SammyLeopold said:
Ok here is the situation, I am thinking of buying a new Pinarello Rokh. I have the choice between Ultegra and Force/Rival. I tested the bike in Ultegra, (they didn't have the bike in stock in Sram). I loved the rocket like feel of the bike from a still start. However I think I like the Sram shifters better and am leaning towards the Sram. I am fearful though if I do I will lose the rocket like feel because of the Rival crank. The Ultegra looks stiffer than the Rival, is this my imagination? If it is stiffer, will I really see THAT big of a difference? Now if that wasn't confusing enough...Today the manager of a reputable LBS, wants to sell me his 2010 Pinarello Dogma with Campagnolo Record but no wheels for $3000. Is this reasonable? He said he sent the frame out to be tested where they injected it with some sort of foam to make sure the frame was structurally sound and he has the documentation. So I am looking for opinions about this deal. Also if I decide to proceed, what other things should I look out for? So, do I buy the used Dogma, or the Rokh with Ultegra or Sram...heeeelp! Thank you very much for your opinions! -SL
Much ado is made about "stiffness" without any data to back up such, uhm, ado, and in the case of cranks, there is a lot of....a....do-do. You've very unlikely to notice any real difference in crank stiffness. The SRAM crank certainly isn't going to negate that "rocket like" feel. Cranks certainly are not a huge source of power loss in a bike/rider system. I think you're way better off getting the new Rokh as opposed to a used Dogma filled with foam

Thanks for the opinion. So you think that the "rocket" feeling was more from the construction of the frame and not much to do with the cranks? I tried some other carbon bikes and didn't feel that way about them. But this one felt great. Im just afraid of not getting that same feeling with a "lesser?" crank. Also I am curious as to why you think I would be better off with the new Rokh, over the used Dogma, when the Dogma is a superior frame and components? Thanks again! :)

SammyLeopold said:
Thanks for the opinion. So you think that the "rocket" feeling was more from the construction of the frame and not much to do with the cranks? I tried some other carbon bikes and didn't feel that way about them. But this one felt great. Im just afraid of not getting that same feeling with a "lesser?" crank. Also I am curious as to why you think I would be better off with the new Rokh, over the used Dogma, when the Dogma is a superior frame and components? Thanks again! :)
There is no indication that the used Dogma frame is superior to the new, unused Rokh frame. You don't know the complete history of the Dogma, and it likely doesn't come with any warranty. Without any details on the "foam test", I'm hesitant to trust that as a reliable test. X-raying is reliable. You haven't said whether or not you've pedaled the Dogma in question, and as such, it's still up in the air as to whether or not you will like how it rides. The Dogma is unlikely to be so astounding that it is noticeably better than the Rokh in terms of your actual performance. Cranks: Tom Boonen won sprints on square-taper bottom bracket Campy crank arms without problem. That he didn't have the stiffest cranks at the time--Dura Ace (the current design type)--was irrelevant. The fact is even more irrelevant to regular folks. There is zero data which shows that a stiffer crank and/or a stiffer frame results in any performance benefit at all. Not a single study. It is certain however that "stiffness" used as a marketing term does sell bikes. How a bike fits you and feels on the road is FAR more important than any stiffness data. You've already said you like the Rokh. What more needs to be known?