New Arrival

Sdc

Guest
I am the proud new father of a new (frame only) bike weighing in at 30 lbs on a 21" frame. This
fast black bike will surely provide me with years of pleasure as long as I ride it hard and
raise it well.

I went to the fall Toronto (there are flurries out my window now if anyone cares) bike show last
weekend just to check it out but ended up picked up a 2003 Epic (anyone heard of it?) frame for $900
CDN. I was able to swap all my old parts onto it. I also have enough parts lying around to re-build
my old frame.

Without going into too much detail as it has been done enough here, the bike handles, climbs and
descends beautifully. The brain works as described but does have an unknown long term reliability.
I'm used to a hardtail so I have not yet noticed frequent complaints from people saying it is
inconsistent upon activation. The geometry of the bike with a steep top tube suits me much better
than my old bike. Mind you, I have only had two rides on it. The bike is heavy and I do like light
bikes but I'm no weight weenie. I don't race, I just ride (and crash) hard. Getting rid of a saddle
and pedals that weigh over a pound per set is a good start to shaving weight off if I want.

However, buying the bike at exorbitant retail prices does not seem sensible to me. If you like the
hardtail feel, you are better off keeping a hardtail. You can get one custom made with the best
parts for less. If you want a dually, you can do likewise. Standard rear shocks can be adjusted to
almost eliminate pedal bob, with the right bike geometry.

By far the best part of this for me is that I can sell my old bike to a friend at a great deal of
$500 CDN and get him hooked on the best sport out there. So I get a new frame that suits me better
for only a little more money in my case, I get rid of parts lying around that I'll never use and I
get a great poor guy on a great bike for little money.

Time to shut up and ride..

SDC

"SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am the proud new father of a new (frame only) bike weighing in at 30 lbs on a 21" frame. This
> fast black bike will surely provide me with years of pleasure as long as I ride it hard and raise
> it well.

This makes it sound like JUST the frame is 30 Lbs. Surely that can't be (for this bike). That weight
is all built up, right?

> I went to the fall Toronto (there are flurries out my window now if anyone cares) bike show last
> weekend just to check it out but ended up picked up
> 2003 Epic (anyone heard of it?) frame for $900 CDN. I was able to swap
all
> my old parts onto it. I also have enough parts lying around to re-build
my
> old frame.

Cool. I still love mine. I came from a similar background to yours (but with some racing). I think
it's the perfect FS bike for the traditionally hardtail rider.

<snip>

Cool you could swing a good deal like that. I agree they are a little too pricey at full retail. You
should get custom geometry for that price.

> Time to shut up and ride..

Enjoy it!

Matt

"SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am the proud new father of a new (frame only) bike weighing in at 30 lbs on a 21" frame. This
> fast black bike will surely provide me with years of pleasure as long as I ride it hard and raise
> it well.
>
> I went to the fall Toronto (there are flurries out my window now if anyone cares) bike show last
> weekend just to check it out but ended up picked up
> 2003 Epic (anyone heard of it?) frame for $900 CDN. I was able to swap
all
> my old parts onto it. I also have enough parts lying around to re-build
my
> old frame.
<snip>

So, where are you going to ride your new Epic?

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

> "SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> So, where are you going to ride your new Epic?
>
> - CA-G
>
> Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Well I know you used to live here so..

Ravenshoe is my favorite place but the lack of hills hurts your fitness if you ride there too much.

Other favorites are Glen Major and Durham Forest...starting at the bottom of GM and biking up to DF
and back. I finally figured the route out this year without getting lost in the switchover.

Dagmar is turning into a great place with amazing singletrack..check out the Project Mayhem area.

I rode Kelso for the first time this year, it's nice especially if you park at the bottom of
the ski hill.

Places that are a bit further are Hardwood Hills in Barrie and Mansfield.

Those are my usual hangouts..with so much more to see. We need mountains in Ontario though.

SDC

"SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > So, where are you going to ride your new Epic?
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
> >

> Well I know you used to live here so..
>
> Ravenshoe is my favorite place but the lack of hills hurts your fitness if you ride there
> too much.
>
> Other favorites are Glen Major and Durham Forest...starting at the bottom
of
> GM and biking up to DF and back. I finally figured the route out this
year
> without getting lost in the switchover.
>
> Dagmar is turning into a great place with amazing singletrack..check out
the
> Project Mayhem area.
>
> I rode Kelso for the first time this year, it's nice especially if you
park
> at the bottom of the ski hill.
>
> Places that are a bit further are Hardwood Hills in Barrie and Mansfield.
>
> Those are my usual hangouts..with so much more to see. We need mountains
in
> Ontario though.
>
> SDC

I love the "Shoe" and Durham Forest was my favorite place to ride. If you get the chance, also check
out Inglewood, Humber Valley and Albion Hills. Awesome places to ride.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!