New autumn/spring glove recommendations please?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paulmouk, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Paulmouk

    Paulmouk Guest

    Can anyone recommend a good pair of thin comfortable gloves please? My open mitts are leaving my
    poor little fingers a bit chilly in the mornings now that autumn is here.

    I do have some 'Altura Tempest sympatex waterproof windproof breathable ........' gloves and they
    are too warm by far. I can only really wear them on the bitter January and February days.

    Thanks very much Paul

    --
    (PS Remove junk to reply)

    Tags:

  2. Job Donjon

    Job Donjon Guest

    I use a pair of runners/joggers gloves over my normal mitts - then switch to more serious stuff when
    it gets really cold. Also carry a pair of those plastic gloves from diesel pumps at garages, in case
    it turns suddenly colder or rains.

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Paulmouk wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good pair of thin comfortable gloves please? My open mitts are leaving my
    > poor little fingers a bit chilly in the mornings now that autumn is here.

    I have a large and growing pile of gloves, as at least on my hands there =

    rarely seems to be one that's right for more than a limited range of=20 jobs :-(

    Sealskinz are waterproof and allow good dexterity, but don't breathe as=20 well as a non-waterproof,
    and if you do get cold in them you won't warm=20 up much IME. But a good general choice.

    Generic fleece gloves are cheap and pretty good, though more windproof=20 would be nice on downhills
    on a frosty morning! Nothing you can't fix=20 with some Marigolds though, and probably the best
    place to start=20 (they're always handy to have for all sorts of trips outdoors).

    Windstopper fleece gloves are good but relatively expensive, and though=20 they'll see off a shower
    happily if they do get wet through they take=20 forever and a day and then some to dry out and are
    freezing until they=20 do so.

    Rohan do some gloves in Schoeller Outlast "Phase Change Material". Very =

    high tech, the idea is they take energy to change phase of the Special=20 Bits in the lining when
    you're pumping out heat, so help to cool you=20 off, and they change phase back when you're not,
    release the energy and=20 warm you up. Or something. How well the actual mechanism works I don't =

    know exactly, but I've found them to be a very good mix of warmth,=20 dexterity and windproofing
    that dry out at a reasonable rate. They're=20 =A325 a pair though :-(

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
    Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Fatherted

    Fatherted Guest

    Paulmouk wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a good pair of thin comfortable gloves please? My open mitts are leaving my
    > poor little fingers a bit chilly in the mornings now that autumn is here.
    >
    > I do have some 'Altura Tempest sympatex waterproof windproof breathable ........' gloves and they
    > are too warm by far. I can only really wear them on the bitter January and February days.
    >
    > Thanks very much Paul
    >
    > --
    > (PS Remove junk to reply)

    I'll second what Helen and some others have said. Inner gloves ( in my case Gore BikeWear inners )
    work for me. They've been ok in the 5/6 degree mornings

    davep

  5. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "Paulmouk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can anyone recommend a good pair of thin comfortable gloves please? My open mitts are leaving my
    > poor little fingers a bit chilly in the mornings now that autumn is here.
    >
    > I do have some 'Altura Tempest sympatex waterproof windproof breathable ........' gloves and they
    > are too warm by far. I can only really wear them on the bitter January and February days.

    I got some Northwave skelington gloves. Warm and comfortable - not for the rain though. Main thing I
    was looking for was gloves with white reflector / hi-viz for the dark nights. The skelington effect
    is a bonus: you can extended a "bony forefinger" grim-reaper style at offensive fellow-road-users...

  6. "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]>typed

    > Paulmouk wrote:
    > > Can anyone recommend a good pair of thin comfortable gloves please? My open mitts are leaving my
    > > poor little fingers a bit chilly in the mornings now that autumn is here.

    > Haleth Thermal Liner* gloves worn under the mitts. Keeps chill off fingers and wrists warm as well
    > when tucked over long sleeves.

    > * www.cotswold-outdoor.com/Cat/3475?history=search%20results

    It seems you & I frequently think & act alike...

  7. "Paulmouk" <[email protected]> wrote:

    | Can anyone recommend a good pair of thin comfortable gloves please? My open mitts are leaving my
    | poor little fingers a bit chilly in the mornings now that autumn is here.
    |
    | I do have some 'Altura Tempest sympatex waterproof windproof breathable ........' gloves and they
    | are too warm by far. I can only really wear them on the bitter January and February days.

    I use Damart undergloves. Sufficient for all but the wettest rides and not bad even then. And
    cheap (gbp8).

    --
    Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk