New Balance Shoes- Need Advice

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Ron Ciren, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. Ron Ciren

    Ron Ciren Guest

    Hello.

    I went to a pedorthist to see about orthotics to correct ITBS pain
    that alternated in both knees. He told me that orthotics were not my
    answer, but that my feet were "falling off of my shoes".

    By this he meant that the mid-metatarsal bones of both feet were
    "flared" outwards, causing the outside of my foot to hang a bit over
    the side of my shoes. Evidently this can cause all sorts of
    biomechanical mayhem. He recommended a neutral shoe with firm
    cushioning (I am 170 lbs.) and a wider midfoot.

    He said that New Balance had the best variety in shoe widths.

    Has anyone out there had a similar problem, and what did you do about
    it?

    Tags:

  2. With feet like yours, you should be going to a blacksmith.

  3. np426z

    np426z Guest

    "Miss Anne Thrope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > With feet like yours, you should be going to a blacksmith.

    MAT could be right - she usually is - and I'll add a further note of caution
    to your search for shoes. NB produce the most charming range of running
    shoes, yet these self-same shoes have an uncomfortable tendency to self
    destruct after a very short period of use. I'm talking about their
    lightweight shoes here, not those designed for the obese lumps that grace
    Yankee road races. So, if you're going down the NB path, DON'T buy anything
    they term 'lightweight' unless you enjoy regular visits to your local shoe
    emporium.

  4. On 2004-09-16, np426z <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Miss Anne Thrope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> With feet like yours, you should be going to a blacksmith.

    > MAT could be right - she usually is - and I'll add a further note of caution
    > to your search for shoes. NB produce the most charming range of running
    > shoes, yet these self-same shoes have an uncomfortable tendency to self
    > destruct after a very short period of use. I'm talking about their
    > lightweight shoes here, not those designed for the obese lumps that grace
    > Yankee road races. So, if you're going down the NB path, DON'T buy anything
    > they term 'lightweight' unless you enjoy regular visits to your local shoe
    > emporium.

    I think the 83x is the only light shoe they make, and that's no doubt the
    one you're talking about (since you had one which fell apart). How are the
    Fastwitches holding up ?

    PS I still love those Mizunos ... (-; I've got almost 600 miles on them now.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  5. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    Roidger wrote:
    >MAT could be right - she usually is - and I'll add a further note of caution
    >to your search for shoes. <snip the crap>

    This from a guy who puts down Asics? Ha!

  6. On 2004-09-16, Ron Ciren <[email protected]> wrote:

    > He said that New Balance had the best variety in shoe widths.

    Most brands of shoes have a variety of widths.

    For example, Asics do multiple widths in most of their shoes ... Cumulus,
    Kayano, 2090/1090, Koji, Evolution, Creed. Likewise, Nike have variable
    widths in several shoes. Variable widths is not just something NB do.

    A good shoe for your purposes from the Asics line would be the Cumulus
    (available in variable widths). Another good one is the Mizuno Wave Rider
    (again available in variable widths) Both of these brands tend to be roomy
    in the forefoot, try both regular and wide.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  7. Jim Johnson

    Jim Johnson Guest

    "Ron Ciren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello.
    >
    > I went to a pedorthist to see about orthotics to correct ITBS pain
    > that alternated in both knees. He told me that orthotics were not my
    > answer, but that my feet were "falling off of my shoes".
    >
    > By this he meant that the mid-metatarsal bones of both feet were
    > "flared" outwards, causing the outside of my foot to hang a bit over
    > the side of my shoes. Evidently this can cause all sorts of
    > biomechanical mayhem. He recommended a neutral shoe with firm
    > cushioning (I am 170 lbs.) and a wider midfoot.
    >
    > He said that New Balance had the best variety in shoe widths.

    Firm cushioning with a wider midfoot describes some of the Saucony shoes
    (Triumph and Trigon DC). As Donovan said the Asics Cumulus might be another
    good choice since Asics actually makes the midsole wider in their wide
    widths (unlike most companies that just add more material to the upper).
    Most doctors and health care workers recommend New Balance because New
    Balance gives them substantial discounts on their footwear.

    Jim Johnson

  8. np426z

    np426z Guest

    "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    Hi, Donny. How goes it? You 'n' Wobbot made things up yet?

    > I think the 83x is the only light shoe they make, and that's no doubt the
    > one you're talking about (since you had one which fell apart).

    It is, and it did.

    > How are the Fastwitches holding up ?

    :) Not good.

    > PS I still love those Mizunos ... (-; I've got almost 600 miles on them

    now.

    I still run in mine, though only when it's dry underfoot. At this rate
    I'll still be using them in 2007.

  9. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >You 'n' Wobbot made things up yet?

    We were getting along fine until he tried a tongue kiss.

  10. On 2004-09-17, np426z <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > Hi, Donny. How goes it?

    Pretty good. I'm running some cross country races. It's a completely different
    experience from roadracing (I remember global crying like a baby because he
    couldn't match his road times on the XC course!) but I'm enjoying it.

    > You 'n' Wobbot made things up yet?

    He's no more rude to me than he is to anyone else, so I suppose that's a yes.

    >> How are the Fastwitches holding up ?

    >:) Not good.

    Just a thought -- I've tried all the Asics flats. Of all of them, the tiger
    paw is both cheap and very nice (light, comfortable and flexible). I'm using
    these for speed work now. I've got 100 miles on mine and they're holding up
    just fine. Given what I paid for them, anything over 250 miles is a bonus.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  11. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >He's no more rude to me than he is to anyone else,

    I apologize for my momentary lapse. I'll attempt to do better...

  12. [email protected]pchuck (Barf Bag) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Roidger wrote:
    > >MAT could be right - she usually is - and I'll add a further note of caution
    > >to your search for shoes. <snip the crap>

    > This from a guy who puts down Asics? Ha!

    Oh I see, you're TheBillRodgerz. I pop in here from time to time and I
    thought I saw a new poster to ignore, but it's just the same old tired
    you.

    Have you figured out yet that you're the most ignored poster in this
    group? Have you figured out yet that you are not funny? Have you
    figured out yet that you have no life?

    No?

    Good. I want you to waste your life here. After all, your kind of
    idiocy can be harmful in Real Life, best you spin your wheels in here,
    nice and harmless, Bozo.

    Sowwy.

    Bye bye.

  13. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >I forgot to mention you are also boring. Thanks for reminding me.

    Reptilian moron.