new-beE! needing help with clincher or tubular wheelset

kujo666666

Apr 25, 2006
hello, i am building my first bike, and was putting together all my components and got all campy record, and am just down to getting a set of wheels..
and was wondering on clincher or tubular??? what are the down sides to both? and the plus sides? was looking at the new eurus g3, just because it is around my price range?? any one have any input, or any other wheelset that would work better? thanks

kujo666666 said:
hello, i am building my first bike, and was putting together all my components and got all campy record, and am just down to getting a set of wheels..
and was wondering on clincher or tubular??? what are the down sides to both? and the plus sides? was looking at the new eurus g3, just because it is around my price range?? any one have any input, or any other wheelset that would work better? thanks

Get clincher.

Although tubulars are more supple and responsive and can offer a slight weight advantage, for the vast majority of riders, clinchers are WAAAAY more convenient. Even pro racers don't generally train in tubulars.

Clinchers are easier to install and cheaper, and performance of top clinchers is better than average tubulars. Also on-the-road flat repairs for clinchers are definitive, whereas for tubulars any on-road-repair is going to be a bit sketchy at best and pretty much just good enough to get home until you can do a reglue.

Otherwise Eurus wheels get great reviews, although I have never personally ridden them.

kujo666666 said:
Clinchers are more practical than tubulars and clincher tech nowadays have narrowed the ride and weight gap with tubulars. The eurus is a great wheel and I am yet to read a bad review about them. I also suggest looking at the clincher wheelset lineup from easton like the circuit and the vista SL that are very affordable and light. Altho these wheelsets come only in shimano splines you can use American Classic conversion cassettes that work as good as campy cassettes *IMO better than campy cassettes* and are lighter.