New Belgium D1 and D3 team?

Jason Waddell

Guest
from dailypeloton.com De Baermaeker's team in Div II - Remex-Massi

The Belgian team that Paul De Baermaeker has been working on these past months is officially
registered as Division II with the UCI. The team is called Remex-Massi, and as soon as it can meet
its financial requirements, it will move into Division I, which should be in this season. Remex is
is an American real estate company that is in for 9 million Euros over three years, and Massi is of
course the Spanish bicycle manufacturer - Massi will contribute 200,000 Euros per year. De
Baermaeker has yet to announce the team's roster, and is also forming a Division III team. (Velo
Club du Net)

Remex? never heard of them, do they mean Remax? And do they have that much business interest
in Europe?

Bart and Ewoud, do you have any info?

thanks, jason

Jason Waddell wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
>from dailypeloton.com De Baermaeker's team in Div II - Remex-Massi
>
>The Belgian team that Paul De Baermaeker has been working on these past
months
>is officially registered as Division II with the UCI. The team is called Remex-Massi, and as soon
>as it can meet its financial requirements, it will move into Division I, which should be in this
>season. Remex is is an
American
>real estate company that is in for 9 million Euros over three years, and
Massi
>is of course the Spanish bicycle manufacturer - Massi will contribute
200,000
>Euros per year. De Baermaeker has yet to announce the team's roster, and is also forming a Division
>III team. (Velo Club du Net)
>

>Remex? never heard of them, do they mean Remax? And do they have that
much
>business interest in Europe?

C'mon Jason. Do a little work for yourself. Type in Remax Europe into google and you will find the
answers you are looking for...

Wade

Old news Baconwaddle.....

Ronde Champe told me about this last week when I hitched a ride on his scooter to the train station
after work (it was raining mind you).

<< Subject: New Belgium D1 and D3 team? From: [email protected] (Jason Waddell) Date: Tue, Dec
31, 2002 3:03 PM Message-id: <[email protected]>

[...]

The D3 is for sure, the D1 when everything's arranged. That didnt stop Debaerdemaeker from already
doing a bid on Ullrich. The Dutch documentary about that guy is a must-see. He's been hanging out in
the pro world for decades, just on willpower and convincing not too big sponsors. By Flemish
standards he's a bully, but not really I think.

Jason Waddell wrote:
> Remex? never heard of them, do they mean Remax? And do they have that much business interest
> in Europe?

Never heard of them either.

> Bart and Ewoud, do you have any info?

I'm afraid I really don't have any insider info, now or ever. The paper I get is sort of a Dutch
version of the NYT, not much cycling info there. Flemish teletext is about as close to the source I
get. Apart from my weekly training rides with Michael Boogerd, that is. He only showed up once
though, the ******.

Bart wrote:
> The Dutch documentary about that guy is a must-see.

That was fun yes. Sorry, don't have it on tape (bta, nor do I have a digitizer card).

> there. Flemish teletext is about as close to the source I get. Apart from my weekly training rides
> with Michael Boogerd, that is. He only showed up once though, the ******.

EuroPros are more likely to show if you promise to have them over for pizza after the ride.

>Subject: Re: New Belgium D1 and D3 team? From: "Wade Summers" [email protected] Date: 12/31/02
>2:49 PM Central Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
>

>Jason Waddell wrote in message
><[email protected]>...
>>from dailypeloton.com De Baermaeker's team in Div II - Remex-Massi
>>
>>The Belgian team that Paul De Baermaeker has been working on these past
>months
>>is officially registered as Division II with the UCI. The team is called Remex-Massi, and as soon
>>as it can meet its financial requirements, it will move into Division I, which should be in this
>>season. Remex is is an
>American
>>real estate company that is in for 9 million Euros over three years, and
>Massi
>>is of course the Spanish bicycle manufacturer - Massi will contribute
>200,000
>>Euros per year. De Baermaeker has yet to announce the team's roster, and is also forming a
>>Division III team. (Velo Club du Net)
>>

>>Remex? never heard of them, do they mean Remax? And do they have that
>much
>>business interest in Europe?
>>

>C'mon Jason. Do a little work for yourself. Type in Remax Europe into google and you will find the
>answers you are looking for...
>
>Wade

Thanks for the clue Inspector Wade. I did that but wanted a perspective from someone who lives in
Europe on Remax. Google doesn't tell you if something is a household name ie: Saturn,7UP(US)
Domo/Lotto(Bel).

thanks anyway Wade, jason

so you were ridin' *****?

thanks, jason never ridden ***** on a scooter or moto...

Jason Waddell wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
>>Subject: Re: New Belgium D1 and D3 team? From: "Wade Summers" [email protected] Date: 12/31/02
>>2:49 PM Central Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
>>

>>Jason Waddell wrote in message
>><[email protected]>...
>>>from dailypeloton.com De Baermaeker's team in Div II - Remex-Massi
>>>
>>>The Belgian team that Paul De Baermaeker has been working on these past
>>months
>>>is officially registered as Division II with the UCI. The team is called Remex-Massi, and as soon
>>>as it can meet its financial requirements, it
will
>>>move into Division I, which should be in this season. Remex is is an
>>American
>>>real estate company that is in for 9 million Euros over three years, and
>>Massi
>>>is of course the Spanish bicycle manufacturer - Massi will contribute
>>200,000
>>>Euros per year. De Baermaeker has yet to announce the team's roster, and
is
>>>also forming a Division III team. (Velo Club du Net)
>>>

>>>Remex? never heard of them, do they mean Remax? And do they have that
>>much
>>>business interest in Europe?
>>>

>>C'mon Jason. Do a little work for yourself. Type in Remax Europe into
google
>>and you will find the answers you are looking for...
>>
>>Wade
>
>Thanks for the clue Inspector Wade. I did that but wanted a perspective
from
>someone who lives in Europe on Remax. Google doesn't tell you if something
is
>a household name ie: Saturn,7UP(US) Domo/Lotto(Bel).

What!? Are we supposed to be mind readers? You didn't ask is ReMax well known in Europe. You asked,
could the "Remex" mentioned in the article actually be ReMax, the US real estate company? And you
asked, if they did much business in Europe. The first question is actually answered in the story.
Remex is obviously a typo.

If you already searched, and found the answers, why did you ask those questions?

Now we know what you really wanted. You wanted to know if ReMax was as well known in Europe as it is
here. And you wanted a "European perspective". I can't help you there. Bart, can you?

Wade

"Jason Waddell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]..

from cyclingnews.com today: US sponsor for De Baeremaeker's squads Belgian team manager Paul De
Baeremaeker's plans for this season look set to encompass two teams, one each in Division II and
III. Both squads will be sponsored by U.S. real estate company Re/Max, which has a rapidly emerging
presence in Europe. Re/Max will be putting in 9 million euros over the next three years, with the
principal aim of getting into Division I in 2004.

The Division II team will be known as Re/Max-Massi, with well known Spanish bike manufacturer Massi
serving as a co-sponsor, contributing 200,000 euros. De Baeremaeker will formally announce the team
on January 8, and is currently on the lookout for good Belgian riders who have yet to sign
contracts. Dave Bruylandts is one of these, although he has offers from Marlux and Palmans.

The Division III team will be called Unidek-Remex, will be composed by young riders from Belgium and
the Netherlands.

Dave

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> The D3 is for sure, the D1 when everything's arranged. That didnt stop Debaerdemaeker from already
> doing a bid on Ullrich. The Dutch documentary about that guy is a must-see. He's been hanging out
> in the pro world for decades, just on willpower and convincing not too big sponsors. By Flemish
> standards he's a bully, but not really I think.

Ditto - it was a brilliant doco. The guy's got a lot of character. Not sure if that alone will get
his team into division I, but we'll see.

Cheers, Jeff (who has done a lot of laundry at the local IPSO)

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm afraid I really don't have any insider info, now or ever. The paper I get is sort of a Dutch
> version of the NYT, not much cycling info there.

Ironically the NYT, despite its somewhat lame sports section, is about the only US daily paper that
does run stories on cycling (except for other papers' July stories about LANCE), since they carry
Sam Abt's articles from the IHT.

> Flemish teletext is about as close to the source I get. Apart from my weekly training rides with
> Michael Boogerd, that is. He only showed up once though, the ******.

He's ducking out to avoid getting beaten in the sprint.