New bib shorts, or saddle?

foild1

Aug 30, 2005
Hey everyone!

I am currently finding that i get uncomfertable sitting down on my road bike. I am going on 2-4 hour rides now, and i my butt is getting incredibly sore! Since this is my first road saddle/pair of bib shorts i am unsure of which one i need to upgrade to make my ride more comfertable. I currently have a fizik pogio saddle, and a sugoi pair of bib shorts (cheapest pair i could buy). Would it be better to get a better pair of shorts (for a better, thicker liner) or upgrade my saddle?

any recomendations on which one i should upgrade, and the brands prefered.

Thanks!

p.s. not to be rude or nothin, but it feels like my balls are sore for a few hours after the ride, as well as generally uncomfertable (from friction and pressure) on the ride.

foild1 said:
Hey everyone!

I am currently finding that i get uncomfertable sitting down on my road bike. I am going on 2-4 hour rides now, and i my butt is getting incredibly sore! Since this is my first road saddle/pair of bib shorts i am unsure of which one i need to upgrade to make my ride more comfertable. I currently have a fizik pogio saddle, and a sugoi pair of bib shorts (cheapest pair i could buy). Would it be better to get a better pair of shorts (for a better, thicker liner) or upgrade my saddle?

Thanks!

p.s. not to be rude or nothin, but it feels like my balls are sore for a few hours after the ride, as well as generally uncomfertable (from friction and pressure) on the ride.

In my opinion it depends on how long you have been riding. I found, for myself, that it took months of increasing time on my bike until I had my butt toughened up. It did not matter which shorts I wore. I finally changed to a slightly wider saddle and I could ride longer without getting sore.

I am not familiar with your saddle. Since we are all individuals, what saddle you are comfortable on depends on your butt, not anyone elses. I suggest you go to a bike shop that will let you try different saddles out for a while until you find one you are most comfortable on. Padding goes only so far.

ive been riding this bike 4-5 times a week for 7 months now - ive just never tried a better pair of shorts, or a better saddle, and i would just get both, but i can only afford one at a time!

foild1 said:
ive been riding this bike 4-5 times a week for 7 months now - ive just never tried a better pair of shorts, or a better saddle, and i would just get both, but i can only afford one at a time!

I'd recommend checking out Ebay(if you have an account)...... and do a search for selle italia TRANS AM , whether its the Prolink, Flite,Max Flite, SLK , etc............ with the cut out center(releaves prostate pressure).... and should releave the sorness of THE BOYS that you spoke about. You should be able to find something slightly used for $30-50 shipped. I personally ride the Prolink Trans Am w/Gel .... Titanium railed... weights like 320grams..... but its not supposed to be about super light weight, but best comfort you can find.

Like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7204036311&fromMakeTrack=true

Bibs wise, I personally like Castelli Pro 3 ....... with the comfortemp synthetic chamois.

.... but for now, I'd go for a new saddle.... then later go for the bibs. Just my .07 $ on this issue.

foild1 said:
Hey everyone!

Thanks!

Do you use an anti-friction cream or gel? I raid my sons Bepanthem nappy rash cream, works a charm. That should relieve a bit of friction. As for the pressure, that is the saddle. I am not sure about the poggio saddle but the fizik saddles i have seen are quite skinny around the sit bones and tend to fall awy from the centre. Try something a touch wider and flatter esspecially where your sit bones contact the seat. As for cut out saddles, i would not recomend these, there will be more weight on less saddle and can cause other problems.:)

foild1 said:
Hey everyone!

Thanks!

Had the same problem. First thing is to use some sort of anti friction cream. I use Chamois Nut Butter which you are supposed to put on yourself and you can put it on your chamois after washing. Works great and a big tube is about $8 at almost any bike shop. Secondly go for a wider saddle with a cut out. I have the specialized body geometry and it works great. I have over 800 miles on it with no problems. Go to your lbs and have them fit you to a saddle. Any competent shop will have someone that can do this. If you take your bike in alot of times they will put it on the trainer and let you spin to get the feel. Just my advice.

Use some lube down there, I use a deordorant stick.

foild1 said:
Hey everyone!

Thanks!

Consider something like the Selle SMP saddles - if the budget is tight, tthe TRK version is very cheap and does a great job of keeping that region comfortable

Good shorts will help of course too and check that the saddle is level and at the right height too

foild1 said:
Hey everyone!

Thanks!

I agree with the other guys that a different saddle is the route to try first. More padding on the shorts could be worse if it makes the shorts fit not as well, which is what my experience has been with some of these new superpadded shorts--kind of like what I imagine riding in a diaper would feel like.

Both saddles and shorts/chamois fall in that "what's good for one butt, may not be good for another category." That said, I would:
1. Make sure your fit on the bike is right, i.e. your position is waynar.
2. Try, try, and try some more saddles. Any semi-decent LBS will allow you to exchange one for another if the former doesn't work. Saddles are highly personal choices, and there's no way to determine beforehand what will or won't work for your taint. Also don't fixate on only finding a saddle with a cutout: they ain't no magic bullet. Most times with a proper fit and a good saddle choice, you can be comfortable without the cutout. Notice I said most times.
3. There is no way to try different shorts on an exchange basis.....so finding the right shorts is just a process of spend trial and error.

Make sure the saddle you have now is level or slighty tipped, nose down. It sounds like it's pointed up by your description of pain and suffering...

See if your friends will let you use their extra seats before you go out buying new ones. Or try and find the LBS that lets you demo. It's gets expensive finding the right seat, but it's worth it.

Adam-from-SLO said:
I'd recommend checking out Ebay(if you have an account)...... and do a search for selle italia TRANS AM , whether its the Prolink, Flite,Max Flite, SLK , etc............ with the cut out center(releaves prostate pressure).... and should releave the sorness of THE BOYS that you spoke about. You should be able to find something slightly used for $30-50 shipped. I personally ride the Prolink Trans Am w/Gel .... Titanium railed... weights like 320grams..... but its not supposed to be about super light weight, but best comfort you can find.

Like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7204036311&fromMakeTrack=true

Bibs wise, I personally like Castelli Pro 3 ....... with the comfortemp synthetic chamois.

.... but for now, I'd go for a new saddle.... then later go for the bibs. Just my .07 $ on this issue.

all the transam saddles are good but you might find the ( takes deep breath ) - selle italia max flite trans am gel flow a better bet if you are not a strong rider . Sheldon Brown says this better than I can www.sheldonbrown.com but here goes : you take your weight on three points - hands feet and bum , strong legs mean less weight on saddle , low bars mean more weight on hands , it´s why the pros can use razor blade saddles and we can´t . So...... don´t go for a thin saddle but one a little wider like the above named ( don´t the italians use such catchy names ) which also has a suspension system on the rear rail mounts to ease road shock : don´t think it´s wimping out to use this saddle , it´s what the boss of giant europe has fitted on his bike to go riding in the mountains round here with his friend Abraham Olano ( winner of the vuelta , world championship winner etc ) - had the luck to do the set up on this bike at Dani´s shop this summer when I was helping out , don´t think it´s worth the money but it was really beautiful ; it was the team t-mobil version , top of the line 7,4 kg with bottle and pedals etc and kysrium wheels ( did you know magazines give the weights without pedals ? )
also check you don´t have the saddle pointed up at the front - that always hurts .

Before you open up your wallet, make sure your saddle is adjusted. The most expensive bibs and saddle won't help if you don't have everything dialed in.