New Bib Shorts

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Michael Keily, Jan 29, 2003.

  1. Don't know how I ever managed without the bib bits, no more cold spot and builders bum is a thing
    of the past.

    Yippee

    Tags:

  2. "michael keily" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Don't know how I ever managed without the bib bits, no more cold spot and builders bum is a thing
    > of the past.
    >

    > Yippee

    Yippee indeed - I got my first pair a couple of weeks ago, and it means no more pressure on my belly
    - so much more comfortable that now I resent having to wear normal shorts. SteveP

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    michael keily wrote:

    > Don't know how I ever managed without the bib bits, no more cold spot and builders bum is a thing
    > of the past.

    Don't forget your helmet, though, or the slab fairy will get you :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  4. In article <BA6311B4.4B6D%[email protected]>, Jack Elder
    <[email protected]> writes

    >I got a pair of bib shorts about a month ago, and I'm very impressed so far. One question though:
    >how do you go to the loo while wearing 'em? As far as I can tell, in order to sneak behind a tree
    >for roadside relief, you'd have to take off your jersey and remove the greater part of the bib
    >shorts in order to get anywhere... and it must be worse for women. Is there a trick to this that I
    >don't know about?

    I don't have bibs, but surely the normal solution would work -- just stick it out the bottom of the
    legs. Works with my Lusso tights -- though I do have to loosen the ankle zip, of course. Isn't this
    what everyone does?
    --
    The Big Baguette

  5. Jack Elder

    Jack Elder Guest

    in article [email protected], stephen pridgeon at
    [email protected] wrote on 30/1/03 9:34 am:

    > "michael keily" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Don't know how I ever managed without the bib bits, no more cold spot and builders bum is a thing
    >> of the past.
    >
    > Yippee indeed - I got my first pair a couple of weeks ago, and it means no more pressure on my
    > belly - so much more comfortable that now I resent having to wear normal shorts.

    I got a pair of bib shorts about a month ago, and I'm very impressed so far. One question though:
    how do you go to the loo while wearing 'em? As far as I can tell, in order to sneak behind a tree
    for roadside relief, you'd have to take off your jersey and remove the greater part of the bib
    shorts in order to get anywhere... and it must be worse for women. Is there a trick to this that I
    don't know about?

    Cheers

    Jack

  6. In article <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes
    >In article <BA6311B4.4B6D%[email protected]>, Jack Elder
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>I got a pair of bib shorts about a month ago, and I'm very impressed so far. One question though:
    >>how do you go to the loo while wearing 'em? As far as I can tell, in order to sneak behind a tree
    >>for roadside relief, you'd have to take off your jersey and remove the greater part of the bib
    >>shorts in order to get anywhere... and it must be worse for women. Is there a trick to this that I
    >>don't know about?
    >>
    >I don't have bibs, but surely the normal solution would work -- just stick it out the bottom of the
    >legs. Works with my Lusso tights -- though I do have to loosen the ankle zip, of course. Isn't this
    >what everyone does?

    Out of the collar of your jersey would also work, of course -- but, if you've shaved recently, the
    spray could cause razor burn.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  7. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Jack Elder wrote:
    > I got a pair of bib shorts about a month ago, and I'm very impressed
    so far.
    > One question though: how do you go to the loo while wearing 'em?

    The problem is not so much flopping Percy out, as flopping him out in such a way that the entire
    length is pointing down. I'm sure you're familiar with what happens when you fail to get your fly
    down all the way and end up with JT forming an inverted 'J' as he leaves your trousers - you always
    get a little bit left in the urethra that just leaks out as soon as everything is back in place. So
    the trick is to avoid that situation.

    Lift the bottoms of any upper garments covering the bib (the shirtlifting stage is, unfortunately,
    an essential part of the procedure). Reach inside said garments and pull the zip of the bib down as
    far as it will go. Now stand in an "I've just got off a horse after a week in the saddle" pose, and
    pull the lycra at the bottom of the zip down as far as it will go. Lean forward slightly. You should
    now, with practice, be able to answer nature's call without removing any clothes.

    > As far as I can tell, in order to sneak behind a tree for roadside relief, you'd
    have
    > to take off your jersey and remove the greater part of the bib shorts

    I used to do that, at first. If I hadn't figured out a way around it, I would never have bought
    another pair of bibs.

    Thomas Paine

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 18:19:32 +0000, Jack Elder <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I got a pair of bib shorts about a month ago, and I'm very impressed so far. One question though:
    >how do you go to the loo while wearing 'em?

    I roll one leg up and get the lads out of the leg hole. It works for
    me :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  9. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Guy wrote:
    > I roll one leg up and get the lads out of the leg hole. It works for
    > me :)

    So how do you manage with bib *tights*, Guy?

    (Don't answer, we'll only have someone asking for jpgs).

    Thomas Paine

  10. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Jack Elder wrote:
    > > I got a pair of bib shorts about a month ago, and I'm very impressed
    > so far.
    > > One question though: how do you go to the loo while wearing 'em?
    >
    > The problem is not so much flopping Percy out, as flopping him out in such a way that the entire
    > length is pointing down.

    Too much information.

  11. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Guy wrote:
    > > I roll one leg up and get the lads out of the leg hole. It works for
    > > me :)
    >
    > So how do you manage with bib *tights*, Guy?

    Short legs or long tackle :-O

  12. Jack Elder

    Jack Elder Guest

    in article [email protected], Danny Colyer at [email protected] wrote on
    2/2/03 9:30 pm:

    > Jack Elder wrote:
    >> I got a pair of bib shorts about a month ago, and I'm very impressed
    > so far.
    >> One question though: how do you go to the loo while wearing 'em?

    [snip]

    > Lift the bottoms of any upper garments covering the bib (the shirtlifting stage is, unfortunately,
    > an essential part of the procedure). Reach inside said garments and pull the zip of the bib down
    > as far as it will go. [snip]

    Ah. This is where I start to have problems: the bib shorts in question don't have a zip. ;) These
    are a pair of Endura thermal bib knickers (http://www.endura.co.uk/Knicks-thermastat.html) which I
    bought for winter riding. As I say, the only way that I can see to take them off for a call of
    nature involves actually taking the top half off my shoulders - which is quite a pain. Compromise
    solution is to wear a wicking base layer on the top half, under the bib section - that way you're
    not entirely topless when you have to whip the bib off and roll 'em down. Not the best solution for
    icy rides though.

    >> As far as I can tell, in order to sneak behind a tree for roadside relief, you'd
    > have
    >> to take off your jersey and remove the greater part of the bib shorts
    >
    > I used to do that, at first. If I hadn't figured out a way around it, I would never have bought
    > another pair of bibs.

    Yup. If I get a pair for summer, I'm now definitely aiming at something with a zip. ;)

    Cheers

    Jack

    --
    And if we don't all live happily ever after, at least we'll survive another week. ::Kermit the Frog
    http://www.tallpoppy.org

  13. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 08:29:43 +0000, Jack Elder <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snip>
    >Ah. This is where I start to have problems: the bib shorts in question don't have a zip. ;) These
    >are a pair of Endura thermal bib knickers (http://www.endura.co.uk/Knicks-thermastat.html) which I
    >bought for winter riding. As I say, the only way that I can see to take them off for a call of
    >nature involves actually taking the top half off my shoulders - which is quite a pain. Compromise
    >solution is to wear a wicking base layer on the top half, under the bib section - that way you're
    >not entirely topless when you have to whip the bib off and roll 'em down. Not the best solution for
    >icy rides though.

    Catheter and spare bidon. Just don't mix the bidons up.

    Tim

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Catheter and spare bidon. Just don't mix the bidons up.

    But catheters provide continous drainage so how do you cycle (assuming that is you get the
    opportunity to cycle in between recovering from urinary tract infections)?

    Tony ;-)

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  15. On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:00:48 -0000, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But catheters provide continous drainage so how do you cycle (assuming that is you get the
    >opportunity to cycle in between recovering from urinary tract infections)?

    A catheter device called a "Flip-Flo"

    Rich x

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  16. On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 18:45:23 +0000, Richard Bates <[email protected]>
    in <[email protected]> wrote:

    >A catheter device called a "Flip-Flo"

    Or even one of these devices:

    http://www.cuddle.clara.net/saddle.jpg

    (Been posted before and made someone spit coffee over their keyboard. You have been warned!)

    Love and adverts from Rich xx

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  17. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

  18. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > michael keily wrote:
    >
    > > Don't know how I ever managed without the bib bits, no more cold spot and builders bum is a
    > > thing of the past.
    >
    > Don't forget your helmet, though, or the slab fairy will get you :)

    "New Bib Shorts, New Danger", as some dodgy election campaign bosses might put it...

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York