    Hello, I have invented a new and unique bicycle. It has front and rear steering and the rider sits
    facing sideways.

    Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride this bike.

    More pictures are available at www.sidewaysbike.com

    Regards Michael Killian Boston, MA, US

    The Science of Human Balance Human balance is detected in the inner ear. There are three
    semi-circular canals positioned at right angles to each other that detect balance in three axes.
    These canals are separate and distinct. The three types of balance are Left to Right, Front to Back
    and Rotational (Yaw). Left to Right balance is what people are most familiar with and is the primary
    balance used for riding a regular bicycle or indeed flying a plane. In the case of flying a plane
    there is a visual supplement to left to right balance provided by the observation of the horizon
    line. Front to Back balance has very little visual input and is the primary balance used in riding a
    surfboard, windsurfer and snowboard. Front to Back balance is a finer instrument than Left to Right
    balance and offers a greater degree of artistic feedback. This is evidenced by the difference
    between skiing and snowboarding. Skiing (Left to Right balance) is faster than Snowboarding (Front
    to Back balance); however people like to snowboard because of the greater artistic expression.

    A New Bicycle Introducing a new bicycle invention by myself, Michael Killian. This bicycle is ridden
    sideways and is balanced by using human Front to Back balance. This bicycle uses Front and Rear
    steering (impossible on bicycles using Left to Right balance).

    The Future of this Invention It is difficult to predict the commercial success of any invention
    (e.g. Segway Ginger invention). However, it is worthwhile and newsworthy to spread the word of a
    legitimate invention. My feeling is that this new bicycle invention will appeal to people
    seeking more artistic expression in a bicycle and the first commercial product will probably
    be positioned for children about 12 to 14 years old with an adult version following later.

    --------------C6C0EB051AC2F4A3F95E1CF8 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> Hello, <br>
    I have invented a new and unique bicycle. <br>It has front and rear steering and the rider sits
    facing sideways.
    <f>Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride this bike.
    <g>More pictures are available at www.sidewaysbike.com
    <i>Attachment:
    are three semi-circular canals positioned at right angles to each other that detect balance in
    three axes. These canals are separate and distinct. The three types of balance are Left to
    Right, Front to Back and Rotational (Yaw). <br>Left to Right balance is what people are most
    familiar with and is the primary balance used for riding a regular bicycle or indeed flying a
    plane. In the case of flying a plane there is a visual supplement to left to right balance
    provided by the observation of the horizon line. <br>Front to Back balance has very little
    visual input and is the primary balance used in riding a surfboard, windsurfer and snowboard.
    Front to Back balance is a finer instrument than Left to Right balance and offers a greater
    degree of artistic feedback. This is evidenced by the difference between skiing and
    snowboarding. Skiing (Left to Right balance) is faster than Snowboarding (Front to Back
    balance); however people like to snowboard because of the greater artistic expression.
    Killian. This bicycle is ridden sideways and is balanced by using human Front to Back
    balance. This bicycle uses Front and Rear steering (impossible on bicycles using Left to
    Right balance).
    of any invention
    (i.d. Segway Ginger invention). <br>However, it is worthwhile and newsworthy to spread the word of a
    legitimate invention. <br>My feeling is that this new bicycle invention will appeal to people
    seeking more artistic expression in a bicycle and the first commercial product will probably
    be positioned for children about 12 to 14 years old with an adult version following later.

    --------------C6C0EB051AC2F4A3F95E1CF8--

    Tags:

  2. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    --------------63AADAE31ACF30E8C6DE7B8A Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

    I' i m m p r e s s e d .

    michael killian wrote:

    > Hello, I have invented a new and unique bicycle. It has front and rear steering and the rider sits
    > facing sideways.
    >
    > Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride this bike.
    >
    > More pictures are available at www.sidewaysbike.com
    >
    > Regards Michael Killian Boston, MA, US

    > The Science of Human Balance Human balance is detected in the inner ear. There are three
    > semi-circular canals positioned at right angles to each other that detect balance in three axes.
    > These canals are separate and distinct. The three types of balance are Left to Right, Front to
    > Back and Rotational (Yaw). Left to Right balance is what people are most familiar with and is the
    > primary balance used for riding a regular bicycle or indeed flying a plane. In the case of flying
    > a plane there is a visual supplement to left to right balance provided by the observation of the
    > horizon line.
    >
    > Front to Back balance has very little visual input and is the primary balance used in riding a
    > surfboard, windsurfer and snowboard. Front to Back balance is a finer instrument than Left to
    > Right balance and offers a greater degree of artistic feedback. This is evidenced by the
    > difference between skiing and snowboarding. Skiing (Left to Right balance) is faster than
    > Snowboarding (Front to Back balance); however people like to snowboard because of the greater
    > artistic expression.
    >
    > A New Bicycle Introducing a new bicycle invention by myself, Michael Killian. This bicycle is
    > ridden sideways and is balanced by using human Front to Back balance. This bicycle uses Front and
    > Rear steering (impossible on bicycles using Left to Right balance).
    >
    > The Future of this Invention It is difficult to predict the commercial success of any invention
    > (e.g. Segway Ginger invention). However, it is worthwhile and newsworthy to spread the word of a
    > legitimate invention. My feeling is that this new bicycle invention will appeal to people
    > seeking more artistic expression in a bicycle and the first commercial product will probably
    > be positioned for children about 12 to 14 years old with an adult version following later.

    --------------63AADAE31ACF30E8C6DE7B8A Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> I' i <br>m m
    and unique bicycle. <br>It has front and rear steering and the rider sits facing sideways.
    <q>Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride this bike.
    <r>More pictures are available at www.sidewaysbike.com
    <t>Attachment:
[...]
    (t.d. Segway Ginger invention). <br>However, it is worthwhile and newsworthy to spread the word of a
    legitimate invention. <br>My feeling is that this new bicycle invention will appeal to people
    seeking more artistic expression in a bicycle and the first commercial product will probably
    be positioned for children about 12 to 14 years old with an adult version following later.

    --------------63AADAE31ACF30E8C6DE7B8A--

  3. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Fascinating. I very much admire inventors and a willingness to put forth ideas and risk derision and
    criticism.

    > I have invented a new and unique bicycle. It has front and rear steering and the rider sits facing
    > sideways.

    Instinctively, I would be afraid to ride that bike. Simply, I would fear falling on my back,
    with no way to break the fall other than wrists. As a 30+ adult that is. I'm sure teens and kids
    would not fear.

    >bicycle is ridden sideways and is balanced by using human Front to Back balance.

    Presumably riders will head turn to look forward when moving, so how does that affect which sense of
    balance is used?

    Doug

  4. Mike Pomrink

    Mike Pomrink Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C2E4BE.57F26DE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    "michael killian" wrote:

    >Hello,=20 I have invented a new and unique bicycle.=20 It has front and rear steering and the rider
    >sits facing sideways.=20

    And this a solution to what problem?

    Mike Pomrink ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C2E4BE.57F26DE0 Content-Type: text/html;
    charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2800.1141" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV>"michael killian" wrote:</DIV>
    <DV> </DIV>
    <DVI>>Hello, <BR>> I have invented a new and = unique=20 bicycle.
    <BR>>It has front and rear steering and the rider sits = facing=20 sideways. </DIV>
    <DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And this a solution to what = problem?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Pomrink</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C2E4BE.57F26DE0--

  5. Hf

    Hf Guest

    It has been a cold winter in the east hasn't it.... ;v)

    scott

    michael killian wrote:
    > Hello, I have invented a new and unique bicycle. It has front and rear steering and the rider sits
    > facing sideways.
    >
    > Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride this bike.
    >
    > More pictures are available at www.sidewaysbike.com
    >
    > Regards Michael Killian Boston, MA, US

    > The Science of Human Balance Human balance is detected in the inner ear. There are three
    > semi-circular canals positioned at right angles to each other that detect balance in three axes.
    > These canals are separate and distinct. The three types of balance are Left to Right, Front to
    > Back and Rotational (Yaw). Left to Right balance is what people are most familiar with and is the
    > primary balance used for riding a regular bicycle or indeed flying a plane. In the case of flying
    > a plane there is a visual supplement to left to right balance provided by the observation of the
    > horizon line. Front to Back balance has very little visual input and is the primary balance used
    > in riding a surfboard, windsurfer and snowboard. Front to Back balance is a finer instrument than
    > Left to Right balance and offers a greater degree of artistic feedback. This is evidenced by the
    > difference between skiing and snowboarding. Skiing (Left to Right balance) is faster than
    > Snowboarding (Front to Back balance); however people like to snowboard because of the greater
    > artistic expression.
    >
    > A New Bicycle Introducing a new bicycle invention by myself, Michael Killian. This bicycle is
    > ridden sideways and is balanced by using human Front to Back balance. This bicycle uses Front and
    > Rear steering (impossible on bicycles using Left to Right balance).
    >
    > The Future of this Invention It is difficult to predict the commercial success of any invention
    > (e.g. Segway Ginger invention). However, it is worthwhile and newsworthy to spread the word of a
    > legitimate invention. My feeling is that this new bicycle invention will appeal to people
    > seeking more artistic expression in a bicycle and the first commercial product will probably
    > be positioned for children about 12 to 14 years old with an adult version following later.

  6. Edward Dike

    Edward Dike Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C2E4D5.4BAA1580 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    "Mike Pomrink" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
    news:[email protected]... "michael killian" wrote:

    >Hello,=20 I have invented a new and unique bicycle.=20 It has front and rear steering and the
    >rider sits facing sideways.=20

    And this a solution to what problem?

    Mike Pomrink

    Too few sore necks

    ED3 ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C2E4D5.4BAA1580 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2800.1126" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV> </DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px;
    MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DV>"Mike Pomrink" <<A=20
    =
    href=3D"mailto:p[email protected]">[email protected]=
    u.spamless</A>>=20 wrote in message <A=20
    =
    href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]= .temple.edu</A>...</DIV>
    <DIV>"michael killian" wrote:</DIV>
    <DV> </DIV>
    <DVI>>Hello, <BR>> I have invented a new and = unique=20 bicycle.
    <BR>>It has front and rear steering and the rider sits = facing=20 sideways. </DIV>
    <DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And this a solution to what = problem?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Pomrink</FONT></DIV>
    <DXI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DXII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Too few sore necks</FONT></DIV>
    <DXIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DXIV><FONT face=3DArial = size=3D2>ED3</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C2E4D5.4BAA1580--

  7. I doubt it is a new invention since I have seen pictures of just such a bike a while ago.

    "michael killian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Hello, I
    have invented a new and unique bicycle. It has front and rear steering and the rider sits facing
    sideways. Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride this bike. More pictures are
    available at www.sidewaysbike.com Regards Michael Killian Boston, MA, US Attachment: The Science of
[...]

  8. This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

    ------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C2E55E.8C2C5F80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    "michael killian" <[email protected]> wrote in message = news:[email protected]...
    Hello,=20 I have invented a new and unique bicycle.=20 It has front and rear steering and the
    rider sits facing sideways.=20 Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride
    this bike. =

    More pictures are available at www.sidewaysbike.com=20

    Regards=20 Michael Killian=20 Boston, MA, US=20

    The Science of Human Balance=20 Human balance is detected in the inner ear. There are three =
    semi-circular canals positioned at right angles to each other that = detect balance in three axes.
    These canals are separate and distinct. = The three types of balance are Left to Right, Front to
    Back and = Rotational (Yaw).=20 Left to Right balance is what people are most familiar with and is
    the = primary balance used for riding a regular bicycle or indeed flying a = plane. In the case of
    flying a plane there is a visual supplement to = left to right balance provided by the observation
    of the horizon line.=20 Front to Back balance has very little visual input and is the primary =
    balance used in riding a surfboard, windsurfer and snowboard. Front to = Back balance is a finer
    instrument than Left to Right balance and offers = a greater degree of artistic feedback. This is
    evidenced by the = difference between skiing and snowboarding. Skiing (Left to Right = balance) is
    faster than Snowboarding (Front to Back balance); however = people like to snowboard because of
    the greater artistic expression.=20

    A New Bicycle=20 Introducing a new bicycle invention by myself, Michael Killian. This = bicycle is
    ridden sideways and is balanced by using human Front to Back = balance. This bicycle uses Front
    and Rear steering (impossible on = bicycles using Left to Right balance).=20

    The Future of this Invention=20 It is difficult to predict the commercial success of any
    invention =
    (e.g. Segway Ginger invention).=20 However, it is worthwhile and newsworthy to spread the word of a
    = legitimate invention.=20 My feeling is that this new bicycle invention will appeal to
    people = seeking more artistic expression in a bicycle and the first commercial = product
    will probably be positioned for children about 12 to 14 years = old with an adult version
    following later.=20

    The pictures show only one left turn and the rider looks very = uncomfurtable.

    The sensation of falling backwards must take some getting used to

    May be it would be OK for the track but in a clockwise direction.

    PK

    =20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20

    ------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C2E55E.8C2C5F80 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" = http-equiv=3DContent-Type> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    5.00.3314.2100" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV> </DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE=20 style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
    MARGIN-RIGHT: = px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV>"michael killian" <<A=20 href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>> wrote
    in = message <A=20
    =
    href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]</A=
    >...</DIV>Hello,=20
    <BR> I have invented a new and unique bicycle. = <BR>It has=20 front and rear
    steering and the rider sits facing sideways.=20
    <DIW>Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride this = bike.=20
    <DIX>More pictures are available at www.sidewaysbike.com=20
    <DIY>Regards <BR>Michael Killian <BR>Boston, MA, US=20
    <DIZ>Attachment:=20
    <DIZ><A>The Science of Human Balance</B> <BR> Human balance is = detected in=20 the inner
    ear. There are three semi-circular canals positioned at = right angles=20 to each other
    that detect balance in three axes. These canals are = separate and=20 distinct. The three
    types of balance are Left to Right, Front to Back = and=20 Rotational (Yaw). <BR>Left to
    Right balance is what people are most = familiar=20 with and is the primary balance used
    for riding a regular bicycle or = indeed=20 flying a plane. In the case of flying a plane
    there is a visual = supplement to=20 left to right balance provided by the observation of
    the horizon line. =

    <BR>Front to Back balance has very little visual input and is the = primary=20 balance used in
    riding a surfboard, windsurfer and snowboard. Front to = Back=20 balance is a finer instrument
    than Left to Right balance and offers a = greater=20 degree of artistic feedback. This is
    evidenced by the difference = between=20 skiing and snowboarding. Skiing (Left to Right
    balance) is = faster than=20 Snowboarding (Front to Back balance); however people like to
    snowboard = because=20 of the greater artistic expression.=20
    <DIZ><B>A New Bicycle</B> <BR> Introducing a new bicycle = invention by=20 myself,
    Michael Killian. This bicycle is ridden sideways and is = balanced by=20 using human Front
    to Back balance. This bicycle uses Front and Rear = steering=20 (impossible on bicycles
    using Left to Right balance).=20
    <DIZ><C>The Future of this Invention</B> <BR> It is difficult to = predict=20 the commercial
    success of any invention (e.g. Segway Ginger = invention).=20 <BR>However, it is
    worthwhile and newsworthy to spread the word of a=20 legitimate invention. <BR>My feeling
    is that this new bicycle = invention will=20 appeal to people seeking more artistic
    expression in a bicycle and the = first=20 commercial product will probably be positioned
    for children about 12 = to 14=20 years old with an adult version following later. </P>
    <DIZ> </P>
    <DIZ>The pictures show only one left turn and the rider looks very=20 uncomfurtable.</P>
    <DIZ>The sensation of falling backwards must take some getting used = to</P>
    <DIZ>May be it would be OK for the track but in a clockwise = direction.</P>
    <DIZ>PK</P>
    =
    <DIZ><BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>&n=
    bsp; <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> &nbsp=
    ;<BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>&nbs=
    p; <BR> <BR> =20 </P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_002B_01C2E55E.8C2C5F80--

  9. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    I'd hate to approach a busy intersection in an urban environment with the sideways bike, or is there
    some kind of mirror set-up so you can see cars behind you (to right of bike)?

    "HF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > It has been a cold winter in the east hasn't it.... ;v)
    >
    > scott
    >
    > michael killian wrote:
    > > Hello, I have invented a new and unique bicycle. It has front and rear steering and the rider
    > > sits facing sideways.
    > >
    > > Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride this bike.
    > >
    > > More pictures are available at www.sidewaysbike.com
    > >
    > > Regards Michael Killian Boston, MA, US

    > > The Science of Human Balance Human balance is detected in the inner ear. There are three
    > > semi-circular canals positioned at right angles to each other that detect balance in three axes.
    > > These canals are separate and distinct. The three types of balance are Left to Right, Front to
    > > Back and Rotational (Yaw). Left to Right balance is what people are most familiar with and is
    > > the primary balance used for riding a regular bicycle or indeed flying a plane. In the case of
    > > flying a plane there is a visual supplement to left to right balance provided by the observation
    > > of the horizon line. Front to Back balance has very little visual input and is the primary
    > > balance used in riding a surfboard, windsurfer and snowboard. Front to Back balance is a finer
    > > instrument than Left to Right balance and offers a greater degree of artistic feedback. This is
    > > evidenced by the difference between skiing and snowboarding. Skiing (Left to Right balance) is
    > > faster than Snowboarding (Front to Back balance); however people like to snowboard because of
    > > the greater artistic expression.
    > >
    > > A New Bicycle Introducing a new bicycle invention by myself, Michael Killian. This bicycle is
    > > ridden sideways and is balanced by using human Front to Back balance. This bicycle uses Front
    > > and Rear steering (impossible on bicycles using Left to Right balance).
    > >
    > > The Future of this Invention It is difficult to predict the commercial success of any invention
    > > (e.g. Segway Ginger invention). However, it is worthwhile and newsworthy to spread the word of a
    > > legitimate invention. My feeling is that this new bicycle invention will appeal to people
    > > seeking more artistic expression in a bicycle and the first commercial product will
    > > probably be positioned for children about 12 to 14 years old with an adult version
    > > following later.

  10. I apologize to Micheal for not believing he created the bike as these are the pictures I have seen
    previously.

    "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "peter.kidwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "michael killian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Hello, I
    > > have invented a new and unique bicycle. It has front and rear steering and the rider sits facing
    > > sideways. Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride this
    bike.

    > > More pictures are available at www.sidewaysbike.com
    >
    > That is certainly an interesting bike. How about a *good* picture of the bicycle so we can see how
    > it is constructed (minus rider who obstructs much of the detail in your pictures)? Richard

  11. Will Platts

    Will Platts Guest

    how do you intend to signal (on a road) when both hands are needed for riding?

    just a thought

    "one of the six billion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I apologize to Micheal for not believing he created the bike as these are the pictures I have seen
    > previously.
    >

    > "Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "peter.kidwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "michael killian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Hello,
    > > > I have invented a new and unique bicycle. It has front and rear steering and the rider sits
    > > > facing sideways. Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride this
    > bike.
    > > >

    > > > More pictures are available at www.sidewaysbike.com
    > >
    > > That is certainly an interesting bike. How about a *good* picture of the bicycle so we can see
    > > how it is constructed (minus rider who obstructs much of the detail in your pictures)? Richard

  12. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Will Platts" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > how do you intend to signal (on a road) when both hands are needed for riding?

    Do we know for a fact that it cannot be ridden no hands?

  13. John Albergo

    John Albergo Guest

    michael killian wrote:

    > Hello, I have invented a new and unique bicycle. It has front and rear steering and the rider sits
    > facing sideways.
    >
    > Attached is a short description of the balance used to ride this bike.
    >
    > More pictures are available at www.sidewaysbike.com
    >
    > Regards Michael Killian Boston, MA, US

    Cool - I think there was something like this in "Green Eggs and Ham"

    Not a putdown - I loved Dr. Suess

  14. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Just looking at the pictures makes me hurt! Have you broken your kneecaps and pelvis yet?