New bike - 4 Touring and fitness

Ethnod

Jul 10, 2011
So hoping I can get some advice. Looking to buy a good bike, currently I have a great like but its a mountain bike and its horrible for commuting and would be a disaster for long distance, plus the frame is too small for me. So been looking around a few shops and talking to people but each shop only deals with a few manufacturers and then I have no idea how to compare one to another plus then I forget what model number they were talking about when I go into a new place a week later Ok so I best explain what I am looking for. I'm 6'1" and a big lad, big build I mean so I need a bike the right size for me. Plus I have some weight on me atm due to some injuries and this is actually partly why I am getting more into cycling. So I am going to be doing some small tours around Ireland, well I start off with a cycle down to a music festival here in Ireland to raise money for a children's hospital but later on it Sept I intend on doing a 5 day tour around Co. Clare (around 350km) and I hope to do more, like Wicklow and Waterford, Kerry and Donegal over the next year or so. Plus I will be hoping to use the bike daily commuting and travelling in and out of the city (Dublin) from Cabinteely. I'm Irish as you can probably tell so names of places are probably no use but you get the idea :) I am looking for something good and reliable (clearly), light, no suspension, fast and comfortable. I think I might want it all Oh and I have never been a racing style handle bar bike so probably a straight bar or something, not sure Budget is between 600 - €900 ish ($850 - $1300 USD ish) So one bike that I am liking the look of is the Felt Speed 30. Its very light, pretty strong and some great parts on it. Another was a Trek and another Dawes but I cannot remember what models they were for the life of me. Any thoughts, advise and or suggestions?

Probably better off with a steel frame. An older touring bike or hybrid in pristine condition may be of interest. You may possibly want to take a look at a new cyclocross bike.