New bike aaahhhhhg

Johnny B

Guest
Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a specialized, a
scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in the right direction?

"Johnny B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a specialized,
> a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in
the
> right direction?

The Giant Rainier has great components for that price range. It even comes with disc brakes and
isn't too heavy. You'll probably even have some cash left over for an upgrade or two. I would also
check EBay and possibly get a much better used bike that may need a little TLC. This is just my
opinion however, and I'm sure JD will flame me for it.

"Johnny B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a specialized,
| a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in
the
| right direction?

What type of riding? How frequent? What level?

Simon

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:19:29 +0000, Johnny B did issue forth:

> Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a specialized,
> a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Why can't you choose from Orange?

£700 will get you a fully rigid P7, £750 will get you a P7 with suspension forks. £700 will also get
you a suspended Evo2.

"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:19:29 +0000, Johnny B did issue forth:
>
> > Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a
> > specialized, a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in
the
> > right direction?
>
> Why can't you choose from Orange?
>
> £700 will get you a fully rigid P7, £750 will get you a P7 with suspension forks. £700 will also
> get you a suspended Evo2.
>
> --
> Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

Check out Pauls cycles from norwich (online site); delivery anywhere in the uk for 15 quid, lots of
last years models at good prices. Depending on your taskes he has a schwinn rocket stage 2 at 599.
This is a bike that I do not own, but have ridden frequently, very nice indeed,

max

"Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Johnny B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a
> > specialized, a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in
> the
> > right direction?
> >

> The Giant Rainier has great components for that price range. It even
comes
> with disc brakes and isn't too heavy. You'll probably even have some cash left over for an upgrade
> or two. I would also check EBay and possibly get
> much better used bike that may need a little TLC. This is just my opinion however, and I'm sure JD
> will flame me for it.

Aren't the brakes on the Rainier the Shimano Mechanical Disc 515's (or something similar)?
Price-wise, they're hard to beat but I'm not sure that I like the suckers. I'd be inclined to stay
away from mechanical disc brakes at that price and put the money into frame, forks and wheels...

Westie

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Johnny B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a
> > > specialized, a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me
in
> > the
> > > right direction?
> > >

> > The Giant Rainier has great components for that price range. It even
> comes
> > with disc brakes and isn't too heavy. You'll probably even have some
cash
> > left over for an upgrade or two. I would also check EBay and possibly
get
> > much better used bike that may need a little TLC. This is just my
opinion
> > however, and I'm sure JD will flame me for it.
> >

> Aren't the brakes on the Rainier the Shimano Mechanical Disc 515's (or something similar)?
> Price-wise, they're hard to beat but I'm not sure
that
> I like the suckers. I'd be inclined to stay away from mechanical disc brakes at that price and put
> the money into frame, forks and wheels...
>
> Westie

I think that bike comes with Avid Mechs

Lightweight wrote:

> The Giant Rainier has great components for that price range. It even comes with disc brakes and
> isn't too heavy. You'll probably even have some cash left over for an upgrade or two. I would also
> check EBay and possibly get a much better used bike that may need a little TLC. This is just my
> opinion however, and I'm sure JD will flame me for it.

I would really avoid Ebay unless you really know what you're doing. The opportunity to land yourself
with a dud is quite high.

> Lightweight wrote:
>
> > The Giant Rainier has great components for that price range. It even
comes
> > with disc brakes and isn't too heavy. You'll probably even have some
cash
> > left over for an upgrade or two. I would also check EBay and possibly
get a
> > much better used bike that may need a little TLC. This is just my
opinion
> > however, and I'm sure JD will flame me for it.
>
> I would really avoid Ebay unless you really know what you're doing. The opportunity to land
> yourself with a dud is quite high.

More than high I would say... My E-bay dud was/is a nasty piece of work that's cost it's 'sale'
price in replacement parts in the 8+ months that I've owned it, the list includes:

Bars. Stem. Pedals. Bottom Bracket Rear brakes. Front brake mech. Rear wheel. Front mech. Gear &
brake cables throughout.

Soon to be front forks too, but there's a point you realise it's chasing trash with a gilt
edged broom.

So really, I've discovered that a nail of a bike is indeed just that. I've also discovered that
although a top notch frame is a big draw (e-bay nail wasn't though) the components attached to it
are really important when considering bikes & budget.

AndyC

p.s. Now proud owner of XT based Heckler ~ E-bay bike is for friends to borrow... ;o)