New bike aaahhhhhg

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Johnny B, Mar 15, 2003.

  1. Johnny B

    Johnny B Guest

    Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a specialized, a
    scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in the right direction?

    Tags:

  2. Lightweight

    Lightweight Guest

    "Johnny B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a specialized,
    > a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in
    the
    > right direction?

    The Giant Rainier has great components for that price range. It even comes with disc brakes and
    isn't too heavy. You'll probably even have some cash left over for an upgrade or two. I would also
    check EBay and possibly get a much better used bike that may need a little TLC. This is just my
    opinion however, and I'm sure JD will flame me for it.

  3. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Johnny B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a specialized,
    | a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in
    the
    | right direction?

    What type of riding? How frequent? What level?

    Simon

  4. On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:19:29 +0000, Johnny B did issue forth:

    > Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a specialized,
    > a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in the right direction?

    Why can't you choose from Orange?

    £700 will get you a fully rigid P7, £750 will get you a P7 with suspension forks. £700 will also get
    you a suspended Evo2.

  5. Max

    Max Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:19:29 +0000, Johnny B did issue forth:
    >
    > > Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a
    > > specialized, a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in
    the
    > > right direction?
    >
    > Why can't you choose from Orange?
    >
    > £700 will get you a fully rigid P7, £750 will get you a P7 with suspension forks. £700 will also
    > get you a suspended Evo2.
    >
    > --
    > Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

    Check out Pauls cycles from norwich (online site); delivery anywhere in the uk for 15 quid, lots of
    last years models at good prices. Depending on your taskes he has a schwinn rocket stage 2 at 599.
    This is a bike that I do not own, but have ridden frequently, very nice indeed,

    max

  6. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > This is just my opinion however, and I'm sure JD will flame me for it.

    So?

    Flames don't hurt.

    Spider

  7. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Johnny B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a
    > > specialized, a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me in
    > the
    > > right direction?
    > >

    > The Giant Rainier has great components for that price range. It even
    comes
    > with disc brakes and isn't too heavy. You'll probably even have some cash left over for an upgrade
    > or two. I would also check EBay and possibly get
    > much better used bike that may need a little TLC. This is just my opinion however, and I'm sure JD
    > will flame me for it.

    Aren't the brakes on the Rainier the Shimano Mechanical Disc 515's (or something similar)?
    Price-wise, they're hard to beat but I'm not sure that I like the suckers. I'd be inclined to stay
    away from mechanical disc brakes at that price and put the money into frame, forks and wheels...

    Westie

  8. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Johnny B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Ok I've got about £600-700 to spend on a new steed and can only really choose from a
    > > > specialized, a scott, giant or a marin. Anyone point me
    in
    > > the
    > > > right direction?
    > > >

    > > The Giant Rainier has great components for that price range. It even
    > comes
    > > with disc brakes and isn't too heavy. You'll probably even have some
    cash
    > > left over for an upgrade or two. I would also check EBay and possibly
    get
    > > much better used bike that may need a little TLC. This is just my
    opinion
    > > however, and I'm sure JD will flame me for it.
    > >

    > Aren't the brakes on the Rainier the Shimano Mechanical Disc 515's (or something similar)?
    > Price-wise, they're hard to beat but I'm not sure
    that
    > I like the suckers. I'd be inclined to stay away from mechanical disc brakes at that price and put
    > the money into frame, forks and wheels...
    >
    > Westie

    I think that bike comes with Avid Mechs

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Lightweight wrote:

    > The Giant Rainier has great components for that price range. It even comes with disc brakes and
    > isn't too heavy. You'll probably even have some cash left over for an upgrade or two. I would also
    > check EBay and possibly get a much better used bike that may need a little TLC. This is just my
    > opinion however, and I'm sure JD will flame me for it.

    I would really avoid Ebay unless you really know what you're doing. The opportunity to land yourself
    with a dud is quite high.

  10. Andyc

    Andyc Guest

    > Lightweight wrote:
    >
    > > The Giant Rainier has great components for that price range. It even
    comes
    > > with disc brakes and isn't too heavy. You'll probably even have some
    cash
    > > left over for an upgrade or two. I would also check EBay and possibly
    get a
    > > much better used bike that may need a little TLC. This is just my
    opinion
    > > however, and I'm sure JD will flame me for it.
    >
    > I would really avoid Ebay unless you really know what you're doing. The opportunity to land
    > yourself with a dud is quite high.

    More than high I would say... My E-bay dud was/is a nasty piece of work that's cost it's 'sale'
    price in replacement parts in the 8+ months that I've owned it, the list includes:

    Bars. Stem. Pedals. Bottom Bracket Rear brakes. Front brake mech. Rear wheel. Front mech. Gear &
    brake cables throughout.

    Soon to be front forks too, but there's a point you realise it's chasing trash with a gilt
    edged broom.

    So really, I've discovered that a nail of a bike is indeed just that. I've also discovered that
    although a top notch frame is a big draw (e-bay nail wasn't though) the components attached to it
    are really important when considering bikes & budget.

    AndyC

    p.s. Now proud owner of XT based Heckler ~ E-bay bike is for friends to borrow... ;o)