New bike accesories advice & Rebel Sports 30% Discount Offer

Saratoga

Apr 14, 2006
I have got myself a new bike (have been without for 7 years) and I got myself a Shogun Mach 2 Flat Bar Road Bike [Picture - Detailed Spec's] (I won't be picking it up until next week)

I have been browsing the forums for the past couple of hours looking at what gear I need to get and where I can get it from, ProBikeKit seems to be quite popular around here.

These are just my thoughts from having a quick look around here and there.

1. I was thinking of the Astrale 8 as the computer though I see on ProBikeKit a Shimano Flight Deck SC-6500 and I am wondering if this is a better choice and if it would work the Tiagra running gear. (Not sure of any other brands). And I am in IT and am a 'data' nut so if this worked with all the gear in the spec's list above I would go for that I think.

2. I like the CatEye CSK-600 Light kit, though ProBikeKit don't have those and wonder if any of the lights they have are superior to the CatEye's

3. I am much keener on a pair of Netti Shy Shorts rather than the full-on Lycra as they look a little better in my opinion for what/where I will be riding and having coffee's etc. (I have read the pro/con arguments and still think I would rather a 'baggy' short than flat out at this stage). Netti gets a good/bad rap around here and for $99.99 less 30% if these are a good price compared to 'some other brand' available from online or the LBS.

4. I think being in Melbourne coming into Winter to grab a Netti Winter Breezey Jersey $49.99 less 30% and a Netti Hexagon Fluro Jacket $49.99 less 30%

5. A pair of Netti Legs $49.99 less 30% and a pair of Arms $26.99 less 30%

6. I am unsure if to get a D-Lock for the bike $42 (key and would be heavy) or a Combination Cable Lock $34 (Weak Security) or something from ProBikeKit. And which type suits the Shogun is a mystery to me.

7. Which pump to get I have no idea and each of three BBB listed below look all OK, I would just need to choose one of those or possibly something from ProBikeKit. And the same in affixing to the bike issue.

So I think that is all I have for now, if you see anything seriously wrong with my bits and pieces in the notes above any info would be much appreciated and other advice you think I may have missed. I am wondering what I should buy from Rebel Sports down the road and what I should buy from somewhere like ProBikeKit.

Thanks in advance. :)

Saratoga.

Some prices I scribbled down whilst in store earliar today.

Rebel Sports Werribee Plaza 30% Off ALL Bike Accessories
Supposedly the discount is only for this long weekend (Sat 15th & Sun 16th 2006)
(They are not going to stock Bike bits anymore)

Netti Products
Super Shy Knicks $99.99 Now $69.99
Mens Dublino Pro Knicks $49.99 Now $34.99
Ladies Dublino Pro Knicks $37.99 Now $26.59
Basic Knicks $39.99 Now $27.99
Econ Knicks $37.99 Now $26.59
Legs $49.99 Now $34.99
Arms $26.99 Now $18.89
Kness $39.99 Now $27.99
Jersey Winter Breezey $49.99 Now $34.99
Jersey Verve $79.99 Now $55.99
Jersey Breezey Fluro $59.99 Now $41.99
Hexagon Jacket $49.99 Now $34.99
Jack Frost Gloves $39.99 Now $27.99
Wind Breaker Gloves $44.99 Now $31.49

BBB Parts (bbbparts.com)
BMP18 Windgun Pump $39.99 Now $27.99
BMP03 Windmill Pump $16.99 Now $11.89
BMP14 Windwave $19.99 Now $13.99
BTL13 8mm Hex Key (Crank) $7.99 Now $5.59
BTL05 Chain Tool $24.99 Now $17.49
BTL15 Spoke Key $11.99 Now $8.39
BTL01 Multitool $14.99 Now $10.49
BTL06 Tire Levers $3.99 Now $2.79

Camelback Water Backpacks
Dream 2.1L $99.99 Now $69.99
Rogue 2.0L $99.99 Now $69.99
Lobo 2.0L $119.99 Now $83.99
Classic 2.0L $99.99 Now $69.99

Cat Eye
CSK-600 Light Kit (Front HL-EL200 Rear TL-LD600-R) $79.99 Now $55.99
Wireless 7 Function Computer $129.99 Now $89.39
Astrale 8 $89.99 Now $62.99
Enduro 8 $74.99 Now $52.49
Velo 8 $59.99 Now $41.99
Velo 5 $39.99 Now $27.99

Sigma Sports Computer
BC1200+RDS $69.99 Now $48.99
BC1600 $59.99 Now $41.99

knog.com.au

Frog Lights $39.99 Now $27.99

Saratoga said:
if you see anything seriously wrong with my DISGUSTING SPAM, any info would be much appreciated
Yeah, Netti knicks are the shittest, crappiest knicks EVER to fall off the end of an Asian 'auto-sew'. Not only are the chamois unfit to wipe the brake dust off the inside of my car wheels, the lycra feels like CANVAS!!! Even the elastic at the end of the legs is ****!!

Dude, what's your day job? Amway?

Don't mean to correct you Oz but the chamois is actually quite good for wiping brake dust off the inside of car wheels. I wouldn't wipe my **** with 'em though.

flipper said:
Don't mean to correct you Oz but the chamois is actually quite good for wiping brake dust off the inside of car wheels. I wouldn't wipe my **** with 'em though.
:) you just reminded me, I reckon the trans in my EB is about EXPLODE!! It 'clunks' when it changes gears, and REALLY clunks when I go from drive to reverse. :( It also sometimes makes a bad "flapping" noise. :( D'OH!!

It's hard to find a mechanic who doesn't wanna beat the **** out of guys with shaved legs :p

531Aussie said:
:) ...
It's hard to find a mechanic who doesn't wanna beat the **** out of guys with shaved legs :p
hehe, I'm a mechanic with shaved legs... scuse me while I give myself a beating :D

Hehehe... Thanks dudes. This is my first time accusation of being a spammer :eek:

I only walked into a bike shop for the first time in many years 3 weeks ago. Why did I write the prices down, because I had no idea what price anything was these days. My view on a subject that I have been disconnected for many years would be to go out and see what is out there in the public world and then come back get online and see what the prices are of stuff online and find a good forum to discuss/learn some more before shelling out the hard earned.

Rebel Sport are a large chain of sports stores in Oz, and AFAIK they don't employ spammers and if they did I would have to help participate in trashing the store on behalf of the common good of the people. I can see why you think it is spam though my intention was to only show I have had a bit of a look around and as a 'noob' if I didn't come here I would have purchased a fair amount of that stuff and thought I was getting a bargain. Though some of that stuff I still see as a bargain.

I hope that clears up a few things up and I can just be reffered to as a 'noob' now and not a 'spammer' :rolleyes:

If you would like a reference I am happy to give my name and a local Melbourne forum that I help moderate in the tech/internet/pc field. vBulletin won't let me edit the message to remove said 'spam' though if a mod thinks it should be, feel free.

Cheers,

Saratoga