New bike, advice appreciated

wraithwrider

Sep 21, 2006
I'm finally giving up motorcyling (37 years worth). I need to sell my R1200GS BMW and I've decided to invest some of the anticipated income in a new bike.

I've looked at quite a few options. A spoiler is the fact that I have a 31" inside leg (to the deck) and I'm 5' 10 " tall, making most standard frames an awkward compromise. My Ribble Audax 56 is comfortable with a 120mm stem but the seat post is only an inch or so out of the seat tube and any step over accidents are going to be painful:eek:

I believe that Giant (TCR) frames are slightly longer which may be an option. Has anyone any experience of this? In terms of a custom frame Carbon seems to be narrowed down to the few 'wrapped' frames (Scapin) , as opposed to monocoque, or you're back to a 54cm seat tube, 545mm top tube! Smaller frame sizes having of course even shorter top tubes.

Top aluminium framesets like Columbus XLR8R are I believe fairly frail in terms of accident survivability, although custom build would seem to be more available.

The Airborne (Van Nicholas) Aeolas is available in a custom build and I find myself drawn that way.

I want the bike for Road racing and possibly hilly TTs.

Am I missing any options?

I'm not going down the Chorus/Record/Ultegra/Dura-Ace bit yet as I don't want to confuse the whole issue still further.

Peter

Well, most of the hi-end titanium frames are available with custom geometries (Seven, Moots, Serotta, Nevi, IF, ...). Many of these manufacturers also offer high quality steel frames. The only full carbon frames which come customized are the Diamas and the V.II by Seven. I wouldn't choose aluminum if I wanted a frame with custom geometry. And if you want a _really_ special frame you should contact Eric (groundupdesigns.com)
HTH

Scapin are one to add to the list for Custom carbon wrapped frames.

I've ordered and paid my deposit on a 'bespoke' Enigma Esprit. The main triangle is Ti 3/2.5 double butted and the rear is Ti 6/4. The non compact frame will have a 52 cm centre to top seat tube and a 57 cm centre to centre top tube, a long way from 'off the peg' geometry.

I'm going to build it myself with Campy 2007 Chorus (unless I unexpectedly come into another £300 for Record) and have ordered a set of wheels to be handbuilt (Record hubs, Ambrosio Excellight rims with DT Aero spokes).

I'm thinking of spcifying the frame with Reynolds Ouzo Pro forks and a Chris King Headset.

I've got a Thomsom Elite seatpost, X2 stem, Ritchey WCS bars and a USE Custom Elite saddle to fit.

Pedal wise I think I'll be going for Time RSX.

Plenty of time til the frame arrives though in mid Feb!

Looking at the frame pictures from the show its going to be very nice.

Peter

I don't like the downtube of the Esprit. It gives the frame an aluminum-look. But you can't go wrong with titanium ;)

wraithwrider said:
I'm finally giving up motorcyling (37 years worth). I need to sell my R1200GS BMW and I've decided to invest some of the anticipated income in a new bike.

I've looked at quite a few options. A spoiler is the fact that I have a 31" inside leg (to the deck) and I'm 5' 10 " tall, making most standard frames an awkward compromise. My Ribble Audax 56 is comfortable with a 120mm stem but the seat post is only an inch or so out of the seat tube and any step over accidents are going to be painful:eek:

I believe that Giant (TCR) frames are slightly longer which may be an option. Has anyone any experience of this? In terms of a custom frame Carbon seems to be narrowed down to the few 'wrapped' frames (Scapin) , as opposed to monocoque, or you're back to a 54cm seat tube, 545mm top tube! Smaller frame sizes having of course even shorter top tubes.

Top aluminium framesets like Columbus XLR8R are I believe fairly frail in terms of accident survivability, although custom build would seem to be more available.

The Airborne (Van Nicholas) Aeolas is available in a custom build and I find myself drawn that way.

I want the bike for Road racing and possibly hilly TTs.

Am I missing any options?

I'm not going down the Chorus/Record/Ultegra/Dura-Ace bit yet as I don't want to confuse the whole issue still further.

Peter
Didn't know anyone else was shaped like me. 5'9" and 30.5" inside leg to floor. Wear 29" pants, when I can find them. Anyhow, suggest you take a look at the Aegis Aro Svelte. Here's a link; FireFox doesn't like their website, so use IE or (better) the IE Tab extension with FireFox.

http://www.aegisbicycles.com
http://www.aegisbicycles.com/index.php?page=arosvelte

The aro svelte has a somewhat funky looking bent seat tube, which results in a 66-degree angle. This, in turn, means that the effective top tube varies significantly as the seat is raised/lowered. Frame is very light. All carbon. Manufactured in Maine. Mine fits me perfectly.