New Bike advice needed - BMC or Planet X?

mins21

Apr 19, 2011
Hi - looking to buy my first road bike and narrowed choice down to the following: BMC 2009 SL01 with full Ultegra groupset, alu/cabon frame with carbon forks and seat post. Awesome colourway, somewhat aggressive stance, looks the business and solid to ride. Fulcrum wheels, continental tyres. GBP£1300 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/road-racer-sl01-2009-road-bike-ec020517#BVRRWidgetID or Planet X SL Pro Carbon with Full SRAM RED groupset, with Planet X finishing kit including rims, and Schwalbe R1 tyres. Full carbon frame with alloy seat post. (also benefit of customising it a little bit) http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPR/sl-pro-carbon-sram-red ... any ideas on which YOU would choose...and why?!

I would choose the BMC all day, every day. I had one of these same framesets and can attest it was the stiffest (at BB) frame I'd ridden to date. It was not harsh by any means, but it's also not a Sportive or Gran Fondo type bike either, IMO. Would still have it, but it was a tad too small. Replaced with it with a Racemaster SLX (not built yet), so I stayed in the family.

If you're a bigger person who puts alot of torque into the pedals or plan to race, I'd suggest the BMC and not look back. If you're lighter, intend to do longer or hillier events/rides, then I'd go with the full carbon Planet X.

Once upon a time I had a generic carbon frame (Planet X frames are "catalog" frames, I believe) from a somewhat known manufacturer (and from my subsequent research buys and sells the same frames from the same Taiwanese manufacturer as Planet X) and that thing's BB 'swung in the wind' when I used it on the trainer. Never again, for me anyway...

I also highly prefer the full Ultegra spec on the BMC over the mix-mash SRAM Red on the Planet X. The Planet X is a lighter bike by about 2lbs, so if you're a "weight weenie" don't get the BMC.

My $0.02CAN worth...

edit: recalled you mentioning this was going to be your first road bike - I'm STILL going with the BMC/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif...better resale should you decide a roadie lifestyle just isn't your cup of tea or you wish to upgrade at a later date...

Thanks Tony, The BMC's are quite lovely and seem to be quite 'niche' in that I haven't seen many around...certainly not for commuting anyway! I do agree re: resale values, although looking at Planet X re-sales on ebay, I notice people are trying to sell their Carbon bikes for not much of a discount... I'm not a big guy by any means = 5'7" in height (5'8" on a good day!), and 155lbs (71kg)...so not big. I think the BMC would be a bike I choose with my heart, and the Planet X a bike I would choose with my head... Having a full carbon frame with SRAM RED (or a cheaper one with RIVAL) would future proof me for a while at least... hmmm...damn I am too indecisive! It's a lot of money to be spending on a bike thats why its taking me so long to decide!

Sounds like I hear Planet X ringin' up the register soon...regardless of choice, spend the money/do your homework and get properly fit for your new tool - fit matters more than which bike...