Bike Cafe · Public discussion

New Bike After 21 Years

Started by Blackberry · · Last activity · 1 post · 902 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
11 January 2004
Last activity
11 January 2004
Original author
Blackberry
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
902
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been very happily riding two beautiful lugged steel bikes (one heavy-duty touring, one sport bike) for more than two decades. Both have many thousands of miles on them and with various upgrades and new paint jobs, they are still going strong. (Some original campy parts are still in place).

    After considering Rivendell and Heron whom I have great respect for, I realize I'd like to add a truly modern road bike to the stable. I've got about $2000 to spend--maybe a little more. Just don't tell my wife. While steel has served me well, the bike can be of any material. The main things I'm looking for are a sporty (not necessarily racing) setup with some longevity built in. (As you can see from the first paragraph, I like to keep my bikes for a long time). I'll also want wide range gearing.

    I've read enough about various combos of aluminum and carbon to be completely confused. I'm definitely not interested in a "throwaway bike." I'm at the beginning of my search and so far have been interested in the Specialized Roubaix and the suggestion of some at my LBS, one of the Orbea bikes from Spain (which some claim meet the "use for a few years and toss out" criteria).

    Any thoughts on finding a good, lightweight bike for $2K or so that has the capability of serving for a decade or two--or is that just crazy?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.