New bike ... age old question

mwooldridge

Jul 8, 2005
I currently bike into work on a Dawes Galaxy, get about 80 - 100k in a week. The bike weighs in around 15kgs. Have also now started going out with a friend and local club putting in some longer (& faster) evening rides anything upto 90k. It's about time a got a second, lighter bike. As a side have also done three tri's with one left to go this year all on the Galaxy. My general feeling is that a standard road bike would be the best option and would suffice for the tri's. Was looking around £750 and was thinking maybe a Ribble (www.ribblecycles.co.uk) as these seem good value and reasonable spec for the price. Anyone got any other ideas on this. I am 5' 10" (that 1.77m in real money) so was thinking 54-56 horizontal or 50-52 sloping.

Thanks

Mike

mwooldridge said:
I currently bike into work on a Dawes Galaxy, get about 80 - 100k in a week. The bike weighs in around 15kgs. Have also now started going out with a friend and local club putting in some longer (& faster) evening rides anything upto 90k. It's about time a got a second, lighter bike. As a side have also done three tri's with one left to go this year all on the Galaxy. My general feeling is that a standard road bike would be the best option and would suffice for the tri's. Was looking around £750 and was thinking maybe a Ribble (www.ribblecycles.co.uk) as these seem good value and reasonable spec for the price. Anyone got any other ideas on this. I am 5' 10" (that 1.77m in real money) so was thinking 54-56 horizontal or 50-52 sloping.

Thanks

Mike
I don't know about the Ribble and it is not really available here in the US. But I would agree with you that if you are doing 3-4 tris/year, a standard road bike will be sufficient. You can put on clip-on aero bars for the triathlons. If you got more serious and were doing 8-10+ tris/year, maybe a TT specific bike would be worth it.

mwooldridge said:

Thanks

Mike
That frame size range is in the ballpark for someone your height, but you will need to focus on relative top-tube length when comparing different frame geometries and different brands.

There are a few software packages that claim to be able to specify your frame size .. are these any good or is it better to go to your LBS and try some out. The thing there of course is I can do about 40k without any problems, its only after that that I might start to get a little back ache and I am not sure if a shop is gonna let me put anything like that on it. The current frame top tube length I have is 570mm. I recon that I might need to go to 540mm, especially if I want to put aeros on it for racing.

Thanks

Mike

I have tried everything. While my favorite all time ride was a Colnago C50 it wasn't a particularly light bike and you really need something closer to 11 kg. Rather than Carbon Fiber which can be reliable I would point you more towards aluminum bikes which are usually more reliable in your price range.

Hey, when it comes to off-road biking, reliability is key. I get where you're coming from with the preference for aluminum bikes. They tend to hold up better, especially when you're tackling rough terrain. Carbon fiber is great, but it can be a bit delicate at times. What kind of trails are you riding? Any sweet spots you want to share? ‍♂️

That sounds like a fantastic routine you've got going! Biking to work and participating in triathlons are excellent ways to stay fit and enjoy the outdoors. I can see why you're considering a lighter bike for those longer, faster rides.

Have you thought about the frame material for your second bike? Carbon fiber and aluminum are popular choices for their lightweight and durable properties. You might also want to consider the number of gears that would best suit your needs. For triathlons, some athletes prefer a single chainring setup to simplify the ride and reduce weight.

Regarding the budget, you can find great options around £750. I would recommend checking out brands like Giant, Trek, or Specialized, as they often have high-quality entry-level road bikes. Don't forget to factor in the cost of pedals, as you might want to use your existing ones for a seamless transition between bikes.

Happy bike shopping, and I hope to see you on the road! ‍♂️

With some research into frame materials and components, you can likely find a lighter, faster bike to take your riding to the next level. Wishing you the best of luck in your upcoming events and happy shopping for that new set of wheels!

When considering a new bike for improved performance, it's essential to analyze frame materials and components. Carbon fiber, for instance, is known for its lightweight and robust qualities, making it a popular choice among cyclists. However, it's crucial to balance weight reduction with durability and cost.

Another critical aspect is wheel selection. Aerodynamic wheels can significantly enhance speed, but they might not be ideal for all terrains or riding styles. Consider your specific needs and preferences before investing in a new set.

Lastly, don't overlook the importance of a proper bike fit. A comfortable, efficient position can make a substantial difference in your riding experience and overall performance.

Wishing you the best of luck in your upcoming events, and I hope this information contributes to your search for the perfect bike!

When selecting a new bike, it's vital to assess the frame materials and components. Carbon fiber offers a lightweight and sturdy option, but remember to consider durability and cost. Wheel selection is also important, as aerodynamic wheels can boost speed but may not suit all terrains. Lastly, prioritize a proper bike fit for optimal comfort and performance. Good luck with your search!

A second bike, eh? I'd go for a carbon fiber beauty, sheds weight and boosts speed. But, a standard road bike works too. Just avoid the Dawes Galaxy, it's no match for a Trek 1000. ;) *wink* #bikechat