New bike assistance...

Rowan!

Apr 20, 2010
Afternoon all,

First of all, let me apologise as I'm sure this question's been asked to death - but at the same time I guess everyone is different!

My workplace has just confirmed they're running the Cycle 2 Work scheme and I thought I'd take this opportunity to purchase a bike. I haven't cycled for years, but due to the scheme I have a relatively high budget (around £650) so would like some advice on buying.

I'm looking for a hybrid and do aim to do LeJog with my brother on the model I'll be buying as well as plenty of town and country cycling throughout the week to and from work. Probably looking at an average mileage of 100 miles per week.

If anyone can recommend the necessary specs and also the luxuries that I could be looking for I would be really appreciative. Any model suggestions would be great also!

As I said, I've not cycled too much before (running is my thing); so if you need anything more to go by, then please ask!

Thanks in advance,
Rowan

dabac

Sep 16, 2003
First off, acknowledge that running isn't riding. You may have the aerobic fitness for 100 miles/week, but that is no guarantee that your body can take it. You need to spend some time(months) sneaking up to that distance. Apart from upper body strength there are plenty of muscles in your legs that will se a different usage as compared to running.
Next off, I don't think I'd be looking at a hybrid for that kind of distances. My choice would be a disc braked cyclocross bike with two wheelsets. One set of wheels with some nice slick racing tyres for the commuting, and then another set of wider, somewhat threaded tyres for the country riding. A CX bike is likely to have clearence enough for fenders, which is a really nice thing for commuters. Add an extra flap for the front fender too and your chain will last much longer.
Also, set aside some money for cycling clothes.
Sure, much of your running gear will do OK, but there are advantages to the "real" thing. Although running tights may look like dead ringers for cycling tights they tend to get all scruffy in the saddle contact area in no time compared to cycling tights.
MTB-style cycling shoes for SPD(or another brand) is an excellent choice from an utility perspective. I strongly recommend getting two pairs, one winter and one summer. Some prefer to use shoe covers over their summer shoes when weather turns bad, but IME those wear out ridiculously fast even for a very modest amount of regular walking - like if the bike rack is at the back of the building.

Be prepared to do some replacing. Saddle fit for instance is almost as personal as shoe fit. Handlebar width and crank arm length are also things that can benefit from tweaking.

vspa

Jan 11, 2009
best of both worlds: pedals with SPD locks on one side and normal commuting-teeth design on the other.
You might know that cycling pedals work like Ski bindings. So you need special shoes. SPD is the Shimano standard system (there are different brands/systems)