new bike/chain slippage

Canzures

Nov 16, 2003
question for you folks out there, I'm new to road biking and went out for a morning fitness ride and had more than a handful of the chain popping out of the chain ring. I have a bianchi via nirone with the sora RD. since the bike is still fairly new, I attributed the 10 or so slippage during my ride to be from the bike breaking in. at least I was already on my way home when the chain started to slip, it was at its worst during climbs. the front brake also came loose from the frame :(. After I made it home and finished getting cleaned up, I took it back to the shop for my tuneup. after an hour I got the bike back and took it for a spin around the block(flat area) and the chain once again popped out of place. after putting it back on track I contemplated on returning to the shop but I digressed and just put the bike back in my car and went home. I'm gonna take the bike for another morning ride tomorrow in the same route and see what happens???

If this happens again what should I do????is it a component problem???or is it a problem with the shop adjusting/assembling the bike together???should I upgrade the FD and RD????

this is what I have:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/08_c2c_nirone_sora_com.html

thanks,
Chris

Canzures said:
question for you folks out there, I'm new to road biking and went out for a morning fitness ride and had more than a handful of the chain popping out of the chain ring. I have a bianchi via nirone with the sora RD. since the bike is still fairly new, I attributed the 10 or so slippage during my ride to be from the bike breaking in. at least I was already on my way home when the chain started to slip, it was at its worst during climbs. the front brake also came loose from the frame :(. After I made it home and finished getting cleaned up, I took it back to the shop for my tuneup. after an hour I got the bike back and took it for a spin around the block(flat area) and the chain once again popped out of place. after putting it back on track I contemplated on returning to the shop but I digressed and just put the bike back in my car and went home. I'm gonna take the bike for another morning ride tomorrow in the same route and see what happens???

If this happens again what should I do????is it a component problem???or is it a problem with the shop adjusting/assembling the bike together???should I upgrade the FD and RD????

this is what I have:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/08_c2c_nirone_sora_com.html

thanks,
Chris
What do you mean by slippage,
1- does the chain sort of jumps while climbing or
2- does it "falls" out of the chainrings and you have to stop and mount it again in the chain rings?

If #1 it should not happen in a new bike with new components, this usually happens on a worn chain or sprockets. If it is not well adjusted it may give a similar symptom but the ride may be noisy when the chain is trying to go to the next sprocket but the rear deraileur is not well alligned.
If what happens is that the chain pops out of the chainring, seems like and adjustment issue, does it happens while normal pedaling or when you shift chainrings?

Solanog said:
What do you mean by slippage,
1- does the chain sort of jumps while climbing or
2- does it "falls" out of the chainrings and you have to stop and mount it again in the chain rings?

If #1 it should not happen in a new bike with new components, this usually happens on a worn chain or sprockets. If it is not well adjusted it may give a similar symptom but the ride may be noisy when the chain is trying to go to the next sprocket but the rear deraileur is not well alligned.
If what happens is that the chain pops out of the chainring, seems like and adjustment issue, does it happens while normal pedaling or when you shift chainrings?

thanks for the reply, I'm not sure I had issues with chain jumping but I had more than a handful the chain falling out of the chain ring and had to dismount to get it back on...this happened more so on climbs and once downhill....I took it back to the shop for its first tuneup and did pop out again during my ride around the LBS...I'll ride it tomorrow and see what happens...my LBS says that I get a year of tuneups with the bike purchase...Chris

Canzures said:
thanks for the reply, I'm not sure I had issues with chain jumping but I had more than a handful the chain falling out of the chain ring and had to dismount to get it back on...this happened more so on climbs and once downhill....I took it back to the shop for its first tuneup and did pop out again during my ride around the LBS...I'll ride it tomorrow and see what happens...my LBS says that I get a year of tuneups with the bike purchase...Chris
Does it just pop out of the chainring or that happens while shifting from one chainring to the other? This has happened to me when shifting but never while just pedaling.

Solanog said:
Does it just pop out of the chainring or that happens while shifting from one chainring to the other? This has happened to me when shifting but never while just pedaling.

the chain has popped out of the chainring during climbs without shifting....I will shift but then leave it as is and just start climbing then will fall out of the crank....I'm not sure to blame the drivetrain for not being able to take the pressure of the pedaling or a combination of me being a 200# rider :eek: ...but i'm working on the ## issues, which is why I bought the road bike..

Sounds like a year of "tune-ups" from that bike shop is worse than none at all - it sounds pretty clear that they don't know what they are doing. You don't need any upgrades - Sora will tune up as nicely as any other groupset. Find an experienced cyclist or a good bike shop and get them to tune it up. If you are mechanically inclined and have some good-quality tools, then you could go to http://www.parktool.com/repair/ .
There are some bike shop staff that I wouldn't let near my bikes.

artemidorus said:
Sounds like a year of "tune-ups" from that bike shop is worse than none at all - it sounds pretty clear that they don't know what they are doing. You don't need any upgrades - Sora will tune up as nicely as any other groupset. Find an experienced cyclist or a good bike shop and get them to tune it up. If you are mechanically inclined and have some good-quality tools, then you could go to http://www.parktool.com/repair/ .
There are some bike shop staff that I wouldn't let near my bikes.

thanks for the response....when I got the bike back I did notice that the seat seemed a bit taller than usual, so the LBS guy changed the height on it and did take it for a spin....the saddle is not a quick release but allen wrench, I already readjusted it for myself. is it acceptable for them to make that change and not tell you, or should they have not changed the saddle height at all since it was dialed in for me????

I'm mechanically inclined and trying to do my own repairs/adjustments.....I'm just skittish on making adjustments on the deraillers and such for now....

Canzures said:
thanks for the response....when I got the bike back I did notice that the seat seemed a bit taller than usual, so the LBS guy changed the height on it and did take it for a spin....the saddle is not a quick release but allen wrench, I already readjusted it for myself. is it acceptable for them to make that change and not tell you, or should they have not changed the saddle height at all since it was dialed in for me????

I'm mechanically inclined and trying to do my own repairs/adjustments.....I'm just skittish on making adjustments on the deraillers and such for now....

No, it isn't ok for them to change your saddle height and then leave it. If they wanna test ride their work, they can do it with out changing the saddle height.

As for being skittish about derailleur tuning and such, don't be. Even if you do something wrong, the likelihood of you breaking something is very small.
To help yourself, you might consider buying Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, by Leonard Zinn. It's very good and easy to understand. A free, and excellent, resource is the Park Tool Repair How-To site. Again, it is most excellent and easy to understand.

Of course, you can always go to the gruppo's website and download the pdf for a given part and proceed as the company directs.

No matter which resource choose, get your hands dirty and give it a try. You'll make a mistake or two, but you'll learn a lot more and be a better cyclist for it.

alienator said:
No, it isn't ok for them to change your saddle height and then leave it. If they wanna test ride their work, they can do it with out changing the saddle height.

As for being skittish about derailleur tuning and such, don't be. Even if you do something wrong, the likelihood of you breaking something is very small.
To help yourself, you might consider buying Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, by Leonard Zinn. It's very good and easy to understand. A free, and excellent, resource is the Park Tool Repair How-To site. Again, it is most excellent and easy to understand.

Of course, you can always go to the gruppo's website and download the pdf for a given part and proceed as the company directs.

No matter which resource choose, get your hands dirty and give it a try. You'll make a mistake or two, but you'll learn a lot more and be a better cyclist for it.
Give it a try, I can do whatever repair on my bike. The only thing I rather pay for doing is truing the wheels eventhough I've assembled mine but I don't have the tools for the final tunning.

Solanog said:
Give it a try, I can do whatever repair on my bike. The only thing I rather pay for doing is truing the wheels eventhough I've assembled mine but I don't have the tools for the final tunning.

You can use your brake pads as reference points for truing a wheel.

alienator said:
You can use your brake pads as reference points for truing a wheel.
That's what I generally do but that's like side to side, it also needs truing let's say up and down so that it rides smoothly and that's what is difficult to me. I need to take the rear wheel for truing because of this, maybe the rim is a little out of whack because of some pothole or road irregularity.

Canzures said:
the chain has popped out of the chainring during climbs without shifting....I will shift but then leave it as is and just start climbing then will fall out of the crank....I'm not sure to blame the drivetrain for not being able to take the pressure of the pedaling or a combination of me being a 200# rider :eek: ...but i'm working on the ## issues, which is why I bought the road bike..

Sounds like a limit screw problem. I assume it is falling off from the front crankset since you say chainring. I also assume it is slipping onto the inside of your crankset, just above your bottom bracket shell since it's happening in climbs. In this case, all you need to do is turn in your L limit screw a few clicks. Take your bike back to the shop and tell them where it's slipping off. They'll adjust the derailleur if you don't feel inclined. Have them show you so you can gain experience. Always test ride your bike before you leave!

It could be something else besides a limit screw problem. I suggest taking it to a shop for a look. Have faith in them. Don't stop going until the problem is fixed. They need to learn too! -FTU

FasterthanU said:
Sounds like a limit screw problem. I assume it is falling off from the front crankset since you say chainring. I also assume it is slipping onto the inside of your crankset, just above your bottom bracket shell since it's happening in climbs. In this case, all you need to do is turn in your L limit screw a few clicks. Take your bike back to the shop and tell them where it's slipping off. They'll adjust the derailleur if you don't feel inclined. Have them show you so you can gain experience. Always test ride your bike before you leave!

It could be something else besides a limit screw problem. I suggest taking it to a shop for a look. Have faith in them. Don't stop going until the problem is fixed. They need to learn too! -FTU

thanks for the tip FTU, I wasn't able to go for a ride yesterday but will today and see what happens. I'll try the adjustment you mentioned and if it still acts up, I'll take it back to the shop again...Chris