new bike choice?

mrback

Jun 29, 2003
I currently have a 03 rockhopper & want to upgrade to a full sus bike but just seem spoilt for choice out there.
Been looking at

Orange: sub 5, sub 3

Trek: fuel 90, liquid 10

I commute to work via the roads during the week but like to singletrack & offroad on my day off & weekends.
Has anybody used the mentioned bikes & can give me bit of info as to which one to go for?

Cheers...

ive never riden one of those bikes but the liquid looks pretty sick!
i would research around and find out what bike has better spek etc, but even then i would still probably get the liquid.

LOL I think the Liquid was the one I wouldn't go for out of your list :)
Sounds like you're after a bike which'll do road well, and normal (i.e. not extreme) off-road well too. So basically a decent cross country full suspension bike.
The Liquid is more of a free-ride/ hard XC bike. It does look amazing, because of that big rear suspension system, and it works well too apparently. But it weighs a ton, especially the Liquid 10, and it certainly isn't going to be the best bike on the road.
The Fuel is a lovely bike, and has been very well received by the press. Good value too, and should do everything you'd want it to.
The Oranges are lovely bikes, they aren't cheap mind you, but they do stand out from the crowd. Maybe not quite as efficient a rear suspension system as the Fuel but still a great set of bikes.

Have you looked at Marin? I think the Rift Zone or East Peak would be well worth a look. I have ridden these and for the money I don't think they can be beaten. Very light indeed, well specced and have a very nice rear suspension system too...

still sold on the liquid 10 at the moment as i am wanting to start doing more off road type stuff as my hardtail shakes me all over the place.
Have looked at the Marin's which also seem great but how important really is weight anyway?
S**T still can't decide. When i looked at the liquid it didnt seem heavy at all to be honest.
Still researching.

in your case you would want light bike but your right, as long as your not trying to set any records while your commuting, it dosnt realy matter.
IMHO, i would reckomend the liquid. but that is only my opinion.

Picked up my Liquid 10 today.
Climbs really well & goes like the clappers down hill.
This bike rocks!!

Glad you got a bike you like, that's far more important that getting a bike which people tell you is better, lighter etc.
I agree that the Liquid looks fantastic, and I've heard only good things about how it rides too. Stuff the weight, just have lots of fun.... :)

i wish i could finaly say that about my own bike, its still on lay-by and im still not getting it for another month!

But im glad you gt the bike that your happy with.

I'm also looking at a Liquid 10/20.

Gonna do the same as the original poster, and that is ride it on the roads during the day, and then cut sick in the mud on the weekends.

after having my liquid 10 for a number of weeks & giving it some real hammer i can say that it is a great bike.
i have upgraded the forks to a fox vanilla fork which is great for climbing smooth hills with the fork locked out.
on rough terrain just dial the fork in & off you go.
rockshox psylo c fork is not too bad but the new fork makes a big difference.
seat is also pants on liquid 10 so that had to go too.
with hindsight i probably would have saved a little extra & gone for the liquid 20/30 with the better spec initially.