New Bike for a Big Man Help

Kelly Johnson

Guest
I am about to buy a new bicycle and I would appreciate any comments anyone has about the bicycles I
am looking at. First a little bit about me, I am 6 feet 6 inches tall and weigh 290lbs. I ride 5+
days a week. On weekdays I ride 2 hours on roads or bike trails, and on weekends I either go on a
long (5+ hour) road/trail ride, or go off roading.

The bicycles I am looking at are: Specialized M4 Haro Escape 8.0 Giant XTC 2 Trek 8000 Raleigh Talus
Rocky Mountain Hammer Race.

First and foremost I am looking for durability. I would glady trade bicycle weight for
hardier parts.

Does anybody have any recommendations or warnings about any of those bicycles for someone of my size
and activity level?

(also, I ride year round, sun or shine. Would disk brakes be a worthwhile upgrade? If so would you
recomend mechanical or hydraulic? Standard or oversize (8") rotors?. There were several times this
winter that my v-brakes froze over and provided no stopping power at all.)

Thanks a lot, Kelly Johnson [email protected]

> ... I am 6 feet 6 inches tall and weigh 290lbs... ... The bicycles I am looking at are:
> Specialized M4 Haro Escape 8.0 Giant XTC 2 Trek 8000 Raleigh Talus Rocky Mountain Hammer Race.

The M4 biggest size is 20.5', that would be way to small for you, don't know for the other models.
Given your size, you must first check wich brand has (at least) 22' frames.

> First and foremost I am looking for durability. I would glady trade bicycle weight for
> hardier parts.

The bikes you mentioned are all mass produced for the average rider. Since you are larger than
average going custom may be a good option and really not much more expensive. I have dealt with TET
cycles (www.tet.cycles) here in Iowa before and had an incredible experience. E-mail me personally
([email protected]) if you want any details. Tom Teesdale makes a nice frame, custom, for a pretty
good chunk under a grand. Drop him (or any other custom builder) an e-mail stating what you want
from your new bike and I'm sure they will be willing to help. As far as parts go full shimano LX
seems like the best idea as you would get decent durability and if you break parts, which you will,
they aren't as expensive to replace. SAB

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Scott
Baryenbruch) wrote:

> I have dealt with TET cycles (www.tet.cycles) here in Iowa before and had an incredible
> experience. E-mail me personally ([email protected]) if you want any details. Tom Teesdale makes
> a nice frame, custom, for a pretty good chunk under a grand.

And anyone planning to do business with Teesdale would be well-advised to do a Google search on the
rec.bocycles.* newsgroups first.

[email protected] (Kelly Johnson) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> (also, I ride year round, sun or shine. Would disk brakes be a worthwhile upgrade? If so would you
> recomend mechanical or hydraulic? Standard or oversize (8") rotors?. There were several times this
> winter that my v-brakes froze over and provided no stopping power at all.)

I would definitely reccoment disc brakes. I sometimes ride in the snow during the winter, and the
rim brakes don't do much at all so far as stopping me. I got a front disc brake (Hope Mini) and it
works great in the snow. It does squeak a little, but that's likely my fault. If you can afford it,
I'd reccoment hydraulic, also. Cables can get frozen in their housing, and you're gunna have a hard
time stopping then too. It wouldn't hurt to get 8" rotors if you have the money, but I don't know
that they're necessary if you don't do any downhilling. Even if you only get one disc brake (front,
probably) I think it would be worth it. Good luck! Matt