New Bike for a Big Man Help

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kelly Johnson, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. I am about to buy a new bicycle and I would appreciate any comments anyone has about the bicycles I
    am looking at. First a little bit about me, I am 6 feet 6 inches tall and weigh 290lbs. I ride 5+
    days a week. On weekdays I ride 2 hours on roads or bike trails, and on weekends I either go on a
    long (5+ hour) road/trail ride, or go off roading.

    The bicycles I am looking at are: Specialized M4 Haro Escape 8.0 Giant XTC 2 Trek 8000 Raleigh Talus
    Rocky Mountain Hammer Race.

    First and foremost I am looking for durability. I would glady trade bicycle weight for
    hardier parts.

    Does anybody have any recommendations or warnings about any of those bicycles for someone of my size
    and activity level?

    (also, I ride year round, sun or shine. Would disk brakes be a worthwhile upgrade? If so would you
    recomend mechanical or hydraulic? Standard or oversize (8") rotors?. There were several times this
    winter that my v-brakes froze over and provided no stopping power at all.)

    Thanks a lot, Kelly Johnson [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    Check out Waterford. Their "Adventure Cycle" should fit the bill. According to their website, they
    made it for a few NBA players.

    http://www.waterfordbikes.com

  3. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    If you weigh 290 and want durability, make sure you get some well-built wheels, preferably with at
    least 36 high-quality spokes- otherwise your wheels won't hold up and will go out of shape. Most
    stock wheels on the bicycles on your list won't be strong enough. Good luck.