New Bike for a Big Man Help

Kelly Johnson

Guest
I am about to buy a new bicycle and I would appreciate any comments anyone has about the bicycles I
am looking at. First a little bit about me, I am 6 feet 6 inches tall and weigh 290lbs. I ride 5+
days a week. On weekdays I ride 2 hours on roads or bike trails, and on weekends I either go on a
long (5+ hour) road/trail ride, or go off roading.

The bicycles I am looking at are: Specialized M4 Haro Escape 8.0 Giant XTC 2 Trek 8000 Raleigh Talus
Rocky Mountain Hammer Race.

First and foremost I am looking for durability. I would glady trade bicycle weight for
hardier parts.

Does anybody have any recommendations or warnings about any of those bicycles for someone of my size
and activity level?

(also, I ride year round, sun or shine. Would disk brakes be a worthwhile upgrade? If so would you
recomend mechanical or hydraulic? Standard or oversize (8") rotors?. There were several times this
winter that my v-brakes froze over and provided no stopping power at all.)

Thanks a lot, Kelly Johnson [email protected]

If you weigh 290 and want durability, make sure you get some well-built wheels, preferably with at
least 36 high-quality spokes- otherwise your wheels won't hold up and will go out of shape. Most
stock wheels on the bicycles on your list won't be strong enough. Good luck.