New bike help!

Sean morris

Jan 3, 2019
I have around £300 for a new bike and have just reserved - Carrera Vengeance Mens Mountain Bike, from halfords, cant link as the forums ban links?

i will only be using this to pedal around with my son, just got him a bike for christmas, so nothing extreme, mostly on a cycle path and a little bit off road, will it last or is it dog ****? i have no clue about bikes...

Cheers!

It’s not a horrible bike by any account. Fork and brakes are likely to be uninspiring, but not outright bad. If you store it out of the rain it should last fairly well.
Although from your description, it doesn’t sound like you need a MTB.
Unless you actually plan to jump the bike, hit obstacles fast and hard, a hybrid will tolerate moderate off-roading fairly well.

I have around £300 for a new bike and have just reserved - Carrera Vengeance Mens Mountain Bike, from halfords, cant link as the forums ban links?

i will only be using this to pedal around with my son, just got him a bike for christmas, so nothing extreme, mostly on a cycle path and a little bit off road, will it last or is it dog ****? i have no clue about bikes...

Cheers!
The forum doesn't ban links, to my knowledge. Perhaps you just haven't figured out how to do it. You type a word or sentence for linking... For instance.... 'Carrera Vengeance Men's Mountain Bike'... You then highlight it, go to the top of the editing choices and click on the short chain. That will open a window where you insert the URL to the page you want to show. I bolded and underlined it to make it stand out. Thus...

Carrera Vengeance Men's Mountain Bike

Cheers!
I see the bike has four different sizes of frame. Depending on how tall you are, you'd need to know the standover measurement. You don't want to be crushing your privates on the top tube when you stand with your feet on the ground. Here is a link to a page that explains it. A bike shop should be able to fit you for it, but if you're buying it online, then you'll need to know exactly what you are ordering.

Standover Height

Reactions: dabac
Hi, I am not experienced actually and unable to add any value to your post. Just replying here to let you know and to follow this thread because I am also looking forward to buying a basic kinda bike for my day to day use and the requirements you mentioned seems much similar to my requirement. However, as I am looking for buying a bike, I am surfing around different forums as there are too many expert opinions around the web which can be super helpful for me to find out what kind of bike should I get. I found this guide very informative which will help you a lot to choose the right bike for your son.

I am a great believer in hybrid bikes for commuting...and noodling around with your son.

I suggest you check those out as well before you make your decision.

Good luck and happy cycling....and wear a helmet. I've broken 3 so far.

Hey! I see you're looking for some advice on race preparation and tactics. That's my kind of topic! For competitive cycling, it's crucial to focus on both physical and mental preparation. In terms of physical readiness, a well-planned training program is key. Incorporate a mix of endurance rides, interval training, and strength exercises to build power. Don't forget about recovery, it's just as important! As for tactics, studying the race course and understanding its challenges can give you an edge. Consider your strengths and plan your moves strategically. During the race, stay observant and adaptable, responding to changes in the peloton. Most importantly, stay focused and confident in your abilities. Good luck with your upcoming races! If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.