new bike, HELP!

ursula

Apr 28, 2004
I am looking to upgrade my bike and am totally confused. I have been riding for a couple of years - road (highway, city, side streets) a Trek 700 ( a hybrid I bought some 10 years ago). I live in TN - lots of hills, am 5'8 - 5'9, slim build. I usually ride 2-3 times a week anywhere from 17-30 miles (when I can get away from the 3 year old). I also ride a lifecycle at least 3 or more times a week in the house.
I test drove a Trek 2200 WSD and really liked it, but am reading that at my height, that may not be well suited for me. Hence, I'm asking for help. How much should I spend to get a bike that will last me a long time? I also may like to enter some races eventually. What models should I look at? I am clueless about bike terminology; although, I have learned about carbon forks??!!!???

Thanks so much guys.

Hello,

Just reading throught the postings and read yours. I've been riding/racing for 20+ years and like to help new riders anyway I can. I'm orginally from E Tenn (Bristol) so I know some of the hills. I have a Kestrel 200 (one piece carbon) that is a great bike. A Fuji Titanium that is quick, stiff and sometimes touchy (over 35) in the handling.
Couple of things to recommend. Set a price on what you can afford now.
Don't over extend and don't go for something that if you crash you can't afford to replace. A really nice set of wheels can be the first thing crashed.

You mention wanting to race in the future. What kind? That will play a big part in what bike frame.

The most expensive part is the frame, getting a good one to start with, maybe with entry level components will you allow you to upgrade as you need and can$$.

Check out the mail order houses. Excel, Colorado Cycles, SuperGo, Jamis....all care top of the line frame/bikes. But you have to know what you want before hand.

Recommend test riding as many upper end bikes as you can. Visit the bike shops, hook up with a group of riders...........Narrow your selection down and see if the shops can match the mail order prices. Shops don't make that much money (shouldn't) on the bikes, getting the rider to come back for parts/service/etc is where they should be making their living. So if they can cut you a deal on a bike, they have you for a repeat customer.

I get carried away, let me know if any of this helps. Or if you have a bike/frame/components you have questions about.

Take Care, Rubber side down.

Dean Rice

Originally posted by ursula
I am looking to upgrade my bike and am totally confused. I have been riding for a couple of years - road (highway, city, side streets) a Trek 700 ( a hybrid I bought some 10 years ago). I live in TN - lots of hills, am 5'8 - 5'9, slim build. I usually ride 2-3 times a week anywhere from 17-30 miles (when I can get away from the 3 year old). I also ride a lifecycle at least 3 or more times a week in the house.
I test drove a Trek 2200 WSD and really liked it, but am reading that at my height, that may not be well suited for me. Hence, I'm asking for help. How much should I spend to get a bike that will last me a long time? I also may like to enter some races eventually. What models should I look at? I am clueless about bike terminology; although, I have learned about carbon forks??!!!???

Thanks so much guys.

Funny you're from Bristol, I was born and raised in Richlands, VA - about an hour from Bristol - now live in Cookeville, TN.

I really want to spend grand total of about $1,500.00 or less right now - full-time mom of two living on hubby's income prohibits much more. It's kind of discouraging that bikes seem so ridiculously expensive. As for racing, I'm clueless as to what would be best. I'm just extremely competitive and know I would enjoy some form of racing. Time trials sound interesting but there doesn't seem to be many of them around or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place - can you tell I'm pretty clueless. We only have one bike shop in town and they sell either trek or cannondale. I'm sure they can order whatever I would want but sort of difficult for trying out different brands. I greatly appreciate your input.

Ursula

Originally posted by fwcyclist
Hello,

Just reading throught the postings and read yours. I've been riding/racing for 20+ years and like to help new riders anyway I can. I'm orginally from E Tenn (Bristol) so I know some of the hills. I have a Kestrel 200 (one piece carbon) that is a great bike. A Fuji Titanium that is quick, stiff and sometimes touchy (over 35) in the handling.
Couple of things to recommend. Set a price on what you can afford now.
Don't over extend and don't go for something that if you crash you can't afford to replace. A really nice set of wheels can be the first thing crashed.

You mention wanting to race in the future. What kind? That will play a big part in what bike frame.

The most expensive part is the frame, getting a good one to start with, maybe with entry level components will you allow you to upgrade as you need and can$$.

Check out the mail order houses. Excel, Colorado Cycles, SuperGo, Jamis....all care top of the line frame/bikes. But you have to know what you want before hand.

Recommend test riding as many upper end bikes as you can. Visit the bike shops, hook up with a group of riders...........Narrow your selection down and see if the shops can match the mail order prices. Shops don't make that much money (shouldn't) on the bikes, getting the rider to come back for parts/service/etc is where they should be making their living. So if they can cut you a deal on a bike, they have you for a repeat customer.

I get carried away, let me know if any of this helps. Or if you have a bike/frame/components you have questions about.

Take Care, Rubber side down.

Dean Rice