New Bike...KHS, Fuji???

I'm getting back into bicycling after a 10 year absence. I've decided
to purchase a new bike and am looking at KHS and Fuji. I'm wanting to
bike more for fitness than anything but hope to enter a few road races
next year. Prefer to start off fairly inexpensive < $1,000. Probably
aluminium frame with carbon fork. Any recommendations? I've looked
at and really like the KHS Flite 300, but I know nothing about KHS.
Any advice, suggestions would be helpful.

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm getting back into bicycling after a 10 year absence. I've decided
> to purchase a new bike and am looking at KHS and Fuji. I'm wanting to
> bike more for fitness than anything but hope to enter a few road races
> next year. Prefer to start off fairly inexpensive < $1,000. Probably
> aluminium frame with carbon fork. Any recommendations? I've looked
> at and really like the KHS Flite 300, but I know nothing about KHS.
> Any advice, suggestions would be helpful.

The stock rec.bicycles.tech answer is to find a good local bicycle shop
(LBS) that will sell you a properly sized bicycle with proper fitting.

Most road bicycles in this price range will be made of similar materials
with similar components, and often in the same Taiwanese factory. Get
the fit you need, a saddle, shifter and color you like, and do not worry
too much about the brand.

A less expensive road bicycle is a good idea for beginning racers, since
you will be less upset when it gets dinged in the inevitable minor crashes.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

On Nov 3, 6:33 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I'm getting back into bicycling after a 10 year absence. I've decided
> to purchase a new bike and am looking at KHS and Fuji. I'm wanting to
> bike more for fitness than anything but hope to enter a few road races
> next year. Prefer to start off fairly inexpensive < $1,000. Probably
> aluminium frame with carbon fork. Any recommendations? I've looked
> at and really like the KHS Flite 300, but I know nothing about KHS.
> Any advice, suggestions would be helpful.

It seems fairly typical of the breed (that's not a knock, but there
are alot of very similar bikes in this general price range).

*If* the shop you are thinking of buying it from takes the time to
give you a proper fit (more than just standover) , and if they are
willing to swap stems, pedals, cassettes, chainrings, etc. without
gouging you, and if they will guarantee their assembly/prep work for a
reasonable amount of time - then this is a sensible choice.

OTOH, if they will just give you a cursory fit, won't easily swap
components to suit your needs, and their assembly/prep work is just
'quick n' dirty', you can buy a very similar bike for ~$500 from an
internet supplier. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.bikesdirect.com