New Bike Line from HostelShoppe

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Stratrider, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    I bought some parts from Hostelshoppe yesterday. While on the phone with the sales woman, she
    mentioned that the shop was going to be offering two new exclusive bike lines this spring.
    There will be a
    26/20 model and a 26/26 model. Each will have two component spec options. She said the bikes will
    be detailed in their 2003 catalog to be released very soon. What's the word on the street
    about these?

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    Tags:

  2. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Should be pics on their web site in two weeks, I believe. Bikes may be along the lines of the
    Bacchetta bikes.

    John Riley

    stratrider wrote:

    > I bought some parts from Hostelshoppe yesterday. While on the phone with the sales woman, she
    > mentioned that the shop was going to be offering two new exclusive bike lines this spring. There
    > will be a
    > 26/20 model and a 26/26 model. Each will have two component spec options. She said the bikes will
    > be detailed in their 2003 catalog to be released very soon. What's the word on the street about
    > these?
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  3. John, Hostellshoppe is going to be marketing their own bent version along the Bacchetta lines. Why?
    Well if you have ever been to Hostelshoppe you would see that mail order/internet is a major portion
    of their sales. IMO Bacchetta last year was a very good seller for them, however since the Bacchetta
    agreement has a purchase at the shop only clause....their sales were understandably not what they
    could have been. These bents when they exist will fit their marketing model. The will still be a
    Bacchetta dealer on site only with the entire state of Wis. as their exclusive territory. Bacchetta,
    is/ was much to their credit, trying to help maintain their dealer base and service their customers
    in a on site LBS only fashion. For some purchasers this works and for others it does not due to
    distances to a Bacchetta dealership. I plan this year to offer a number of Bacchetta bike options
    including a choice of some colors. I will attempt to keep the prices down, however, purchasers will
    still have to purchase on site. So....there it be. My opinion based on the information I have.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. "Jude T. McGloin" wrote:

    > John, Hostellshoppe is going to be marketing their own bent version along the Bacchetta lines.
    > Why? Well if you have ever been to Hostelshoppe you would see that mail order/internet is a major
    > portion of their sales. IMO Bacchetta last year was a very good seller for them, however since the
    > Bacchetta agreement has a purchase at the shop only clause....their sales were understandably not
    > what they could have been. These bents when they exist will fit their marketing model. The will
    > still be a Bacchetta dealer on site only with the entire state of Wis. as their exclusive
    > territory. Bacchetta, is/ was much to their credit, trying to help maintain their dealer base and
    > service their customers in a on site LBS only fashion. For some purchasers this works and for
    > others it does not due to distances to a Bacchetta dealership. I plan this year to offer a number
    > of Bacchetta bike options including a choice of some colors. I will attempt to keep the prices
    > down, however, purchasers will still have to purchase on site. So....there it be. My opinion based
    > on the information I have.

    I'm reminded that BikeE went to the same "purchase at the shop only" policy just before they folded.
    This is a disservice to the majority of potential customers. If I wanted to buy a Bacchetta, I could
    not. Why should I be discriminated against? So I guess if I want a bike of that type, my money will
    go to someone else, someone willing to sell to me by mail order like Hostellshoppe.

    Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

    "We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and security may come at a substantial
    price in freedom, that law and order can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual
    liberties surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost." Walter Cronkite, in the preface to
    the 1984 edition of 1984

  5. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Rolf at the Hostel Shoppe has been customizing bikes for quite some time.

    Last year they up-spec'd the Bacchetta Strada to Ultegra with a Dura-Ace wheelset - called it the Salgono. This year Bacchetta has basically taken that idea and come out with the Corsa. Hostel Shoppe has done that with several other bikes in the past. Their tremendous amount of expertise is now going to be channelled into their own bikes.

    The Hostel Shoppe's new line of recumbents are loosely based on the Bacchetta bikes. I was lucky enough to glimpse one of their prototypes last week when I was up there.

    "Stretched" short wheelbase, high bottom bracket, over seat steering with those great bars, 45/55% weight ratio, 650/650 wheels (maybe a 700/700 too), molded seat like the Corsa (and Speed Machine - light and Very aero), several component levels, custom paint, (custom sizes? - wouldn't that be sweet).

    I can hardly wait to see if I can fit on one of their 650/650 bikes! IMO, you just have to ride one to see if it suits you. I hope like Jude T. says, that they will offer them mail order.

    R2

  6. Dj Blag

    Dj Blag Guest

    Just to add a little 'controversy' to the mix, when I made a comment a few weeks back about Rolf
    advising me against the Bacchetta, I received an email from someone who's name I can't
    recall(identified himself as a member of the Bacchetta USA staff) about whether Rolf had offered to
    let me buy a Bacchetta by mail. Because of the service I received from Rolf, the last thing I would
    do is let someone who I didn't know ask what I considered suspicious questions. I replied with
    basically, why do you ask this question. He replied that Bacchetta has a no mail order policy. I
    told him that Rolf and my discussion never reached the level of purchasing a Bacchetta. We were down
    to the Vision R64 or the Phantom, and I made my decision from those 2. He later thanked me for the
    reply, and I <believe> hinted that Bacchetta was examining their policy. Chas

  7. Curious, what did you buy? You were choosing between the two best (for me) fast recumbents currently
    available ... (except for the P-38 Ultegra and the R-65/68 which have higher end components).

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Dj Blag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Just to add a little 'controversy' to the mix, when I made a comment a few weeks back about Rolf
    > advising me against the Bacchetta, I received an
    email
    > from someone who's name I can't recall(identified himself as a member of
    the
    > Bacchetta USA staff) about whether Rolf had offered to let me buy a Bacchetta by mail. Because of
    > the service I received from Rolf, the last thing I would do is let someone who I didn't know ask
    > what I considered suspicious questions. I replied with basically, why do you ask this question. He
    > replied that Bacchetta has a no mail order policy. I told him that Rolf and my discussion never
    > reached the level of purchasing a Bacchetta. We were down to the Vision R64 or the Phantom, and I
    > made my decision from those 2. He later thanked me for the reply, and I <believe> hinted that
    > Bacchetta
    was
    > examining their policy. Chas

  8. in article [email protected], Lorenzo L. Love at [email protected] wrote on
    3/12/03 2:24 PM:

    > If I wanted to buy a Bacchetta, I could not. Why should I be discriminated against?

    Actually Lorenzo, you could. If you don't have a local Bacchetta dealer, have your shop call
    Bacchetta to order you a bike. It's my understanding that Bacchetta has made a "no mail-order"
    policy with dealers to ensure that you, the consumer, will get professional service with their
    bicycle. It's not meant to discriminate against anyone.

    In fact, while Bacchetta is growing their dealer base, you can help by ordering one through your
    local dealer. I have no doubt that you, and your dealer will be very impressed by Bacchetta. Who
    knows? Maybe they'll get the courage to order a few more bikes, maybe a RANS, a Vision... now you
    have a *local* recumbent dealer! How cool is that?! And all thanks to you ordering that Strada (or
    was it an Aero!).

    --

    Mary Breen, happy Giro rider and loyal Bacchetta dealer

    Calhoun Cycle > Recumbent & Folding Bicycles 3342 Hennepin Ave. S. Minneapolis, MN 55408

    http://www.calhouncycle.com

  9. "Calhoun Cycle > Recumbents & Folders" wrote:

    > in article [email protected], Lorenzo L. Love at [email protected] wrote on 3/12/03
    > 2:24 PM:
    >
    > > If I wanted to buy a Bacchetta, I could not. Why should I be discriminated against?
    >
    > Actually Lorenzo, you could. If you don't have a local Bacchetta dealer, have your shop call
    > Bacchetta to order you a bike. It's my understanding that Bacchetta has made a "no mail-order"
    > policy with dealers to ensure that you, the consumer, will get professional service with their
    > bicycle. It's not meant to discriminate against anyone.
    >
    > In fact, while Bacchetta is growing their dealer base, you can help by ordering one through your
    > local dealer. I have no doubt that you, and your dealer will be very impressed by Bacchetta. Who
    > knows? Maybe they'll get the courage to order a few more bikes, maybe a RANS, a Vision... now you
    > have a *local* recumbent dealer! How cool is that?! And all thanks to you ordering that Strada (or
    > was it an Aero!).
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mary Breen, happy Giro rider and loyal Bacchetta dealer
    >
    > Calhoun Cycle > Recumbent & Folding Bicycles 3342 Hennepin Ave. S. Minneapolis, MN 55408
    >
    > http://www.calhouncycle.com

    You want to tell me who in Yreka, CA will sell me a Bacchetta? No one, that's who. There is no bike
    shop. It is extremely narrow minded to assume that every one has access to a local bike shop. This
    policy does discriminate against me and millions who live in small towns and rural areas. I can not
    get professional or any other kind of service from Bacchetta because they refuse to sell to me. This
    is anti-consumer and bad business. Worked wonders for BikeE. So my money and the money of many
    others in small towns will go to companies who do not discriminate against us. I can get dozens of
    makes of bikes delivered to my door and I have purchased three recumbents that way. But I'll never
    buy a Bacchetta unless they change this discriminatory policy.

    Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

    "We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and security may come at a substantial
    price in freedom, that law and order can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual
    liberties surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost." Walter Cronkite, in the preface to
    the 1984 edition of 1984

  10. Mary, Thanks, You are correct. I had forgotten that most LBS can get you a Bacchetta. As you know
    from experience as a recumbent dealer, there are some not so apparent quirks to many of the
    brands/models we as dealers have assembeled and sold over the years. It often pays for itself to
    have the experienced eye spot that misaligned hanger or add a spacer or washer to quiet down that
    elusive noise. My wife hails from the Detroit Lakes area. Because of my small but fun to run shop, I
    don't go home with her too often. I will however be going with her for a family reunion this summer.
    I will make it a point to stop by.

    news:BA952C1E.8AA5%[email protected]...

  11. On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 01:48:07 GMT, "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You want to tell me who in Yreka, CA will sell me a Bacchetta? No one, that's who. There is no bike
    >shop. It is extremely narrow minded to assume that every one has access to a local bike shop. This
    >policy does discriminate against me and millions who live in small towns and rural areas.

    Tell that to Bacchetta and I'm sure they'll find a way to sell you one. There are no Bacchetta
    dealers in my country so they allowed Hostel Shoppe to sell me one by mail order.

  12. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jude T. McGloin" wrote:
    > >
    > > , I'm reminded that BikeE went to the same "purchase at the shop only"
    > policy just before they folded. This is a disservice to the majority of potential customers. If I
    > wanted to buy a Bacchetta, I could not. Why should I be discriminated against? So I guess if I
    > want a bike of that type, my money will go to someone else, someone willing to sell to me by mail
    > order like Hostellshoppe.
    >
    > Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

    I can understand your position and don't quarrel with the affect that "on-site" sales requirements
    may have. On the other hand, presuming you do not buy untested, that means that a visit to some shop
    is necessary. You then use the services of the shop owner and tie up his equipment. The shop owner
    has staff and rent he is paying. I don't think anyone would disagree that he is entitled to make a
    profit on what he sells (none of us are in business as a hobby). He is at a disadvantage to a mail
    order warehouse type operation who only offers a lower price because he doesn't have the investment
    in running a shop. Also, whenever I have had a bike shipped to me, no matter how meticulous the
    reputation of the shop, it always needs to be adjusted due to the breakdown and packing. I think a
    manufacturer has an interest in making sure its bikes are set up right and a shop which handles them
    on premises would, presumably, be more qualified to properly set up and fit the bike to the rider
    than someone filling orders by mail. Therefore, while an on-site policy required me to travel
    hundreds of miles to test ride units, I don't begrudge the owners (who spent a lot of time with me)
    the opportunity to get his price. I am sure there will be many who will now rip this position to
    shreds, but I think there is a logical argument for this policy.

  13. Ken Kobayashi wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 01:48:07 GMT, "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >You want to tell me who in Yreka, CA will sell me a Bacchetta? No one, that's who. There is
    > >no bike shop. It is extremely narrow minded to assume that every one has access to a local
    > >bike shop. This policy does discriminate against me and millions who live in small towns and
    > >rural areas.
    >
    > Tell that to Bacchetta and I'm sure they'll find a way to sell you one. There are no Bacchetta
    > dealers in my country so they allowed Hostel Shoppe to sell me one by mail order.
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

    I don't need to beg special permission from Bacchetta when there are dozens of manufacturers quite
    willing to do business with me. They will be the ones getting my money.

  14. mike s wrote:

    > "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Jude T. McGloin" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > , I'm reminded that BikeE went to the same "purchase at the shop only"
    > > policy just before they folded. This is a disservice to the majority of potential customers. If
    > > I wanted to buy a Bacchetta, I could not. Why should I be discriminated against? So I guess if I
    > > want a bike of that type, my money will go to someone else, someone willing to sell to me by
    > > mail order like Hostellshoppe.
    > >
    > > Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
    > >

    > I can understand your position and don't quarrel with the affect that "on-site" sales requirements
    > may have. On the other hand, presuming you do not buy untested, that means that a visit to some
    > shop is necessary. You then use the services of the shop owner and tie up his equipment. The shop
    > owner has staff and rent he is paying. I don't think anyone would disagree that he is entitled to
    > make a profit on what he sells (none of us are in business as a hobby). He is at a disadvantage to
    > a mail order warehouse type operation who only offers a lower price because he doesn't have the
    > investment in running a shop. Also, whenever I have had a bike shipped to me, no matter how
    > meticulous the reputation of the shop, it always needs to be adjusted due to the breakdown and
    > packing. I think a manufacturer has an interest in making sure its bikes are set up right and a
    > shop which handles them on premises would, presumably, be more qualified to properly set up and
    > fit the bike to the rider than someone filling orders by mail. Therefore, while an on-site policy
    > required me to travel hundreds of miles to test ride units, I don't begrudge the owners (who spent
    > a lot of time with me) the opportunity to get his price. I am sure there will be many who will now
    > rip this position to shreds, but I think there is a logical argument for this policy.

    I've bought four out my five bikes including three recumbents by mail or internet untested. If I
    want anything new other then a Walmart bike, I have no other choice. I've never had the slightest
    problem assembling them. If the seller knows what it is doing, the drive train is completely setup
    and adjusted and should be good right out of the box. That was the case with bikes ordered direct
    from Easy Racers and from Hostel Shoppe. I have no reason to travel hundreds of miles when there are
    dozens of manufacturers quite willing to do business with me. They will be the ones getting my
    money, not Bacchetta.

    Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

    "We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and security may come at a substantial
    price in freedom, that law and order can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual
    liberties surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost." Walter Cronkite, in the preface to
    the 1984 edition of 1984

  15. > You want to tell me who in Yreka, CA will sell me a Bacchetta? No one, that's who. There is no
    > bike shop.

    Ouch. I didn't mean to pick a fight. I was just sharing my opinion that Bacchetta has chosen a
    business plan which is not rooted in discrimation, but rather in an attempt to get consumers good
    service and at the same time potentially grow more local recumbent shops. I didn't mean to imply
    that all people have a LBS. But I would contend that most do.

    Although they may not be to your liking Yreka does list two bicycle shops which could get you a
    Bacchetta: Shasta Valley Bikes and Chain Reaction Sports. If you want options, you'd need to travel
    30 miles to Ashland, OR where there are a dozen shops to choose from. In my mind, 30 miles isn't
    that big of a deal. Perhaps we disagree on what defines "local."

    --

    Mary Breen

  16. On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 03:50:23 GMT, "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't need to beg special permission from Bacchetta when there are dozens of manufacturers quite
    >willing to do business with me. They will be the ones getting my money.

    I personally think it's your own loss to limit your options arbitrarily, but it's your choice.

    FWIW many upright manufacturers have "no mail order" policies. Trek and Cannondale do, at least. I
    seem to recall Dave Doty getting into some trouble with Trek for his R200 closeout deal.

  17. Rodney Kuehl

    Rodney Kuehl Guest

    "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]t...
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 03:50:23 GMT, "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I don't need to beg special permission from Bacchetta when there are dozens of manufacturers
    > >quite willing to do business with me. They will be the ones getting my money.
    >
    > I personally think it's your own loss to limit your options arbitrarily, but it's your choice.
    >
    > FWIW many upright manufacturers have "no mail order" policies. Trek and Cannondale do, at least. I
    > seem to recall Dave Doty getting into some trouble with Trek for his R200 closeout deal.
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/
    >===============

    Ken, I heard from a pretty reliable source that wasn't Dave Doty that without recumbents the Trek
    dealership wasn't worth the price of a postage stamp terminating the dealer agreement.

    I'm not in the business but I am an old marketing guy. I personally don't see why Bachetta wants to
    make dealers or would be dealers jump through a lot of hoops to make a sale.

    My hat is off to the Hostel Shoppe. I hope they get rich and famous with their new bikes. Proactive
    business rox.

    Rod Kuehl RANS V2 Challenge Wizard Riverview, FL

  18. Ken Kobayashi wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 03:50:23 GMT, "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I don't need to beg special permission from Bacchetta when there are dozens of manufacturers
    > >quite willing to do business with me. They will be the ones getting my money.
    >
    > I personally think it's your own loss to limit your options arbitrarily, but it's your choice.
    >
    > FWIW many upright manufacturers have "no mail order" policies. Trek and Cannondale do, at least. I
    > seem to recall Dave Doty getting into some trouble with Trek for his R200 closeout deal.
    >
    > Ken Kobayashi [email protected] http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

    It's Bacchetta's loss when they limit their options. They are the one who need to make money, not
    me. I don't need to buy from any upright manufactures who don't want my money either. Too many other
    manufacturers who do want to provide service to consumers.

  19. Rodney Kuehl wrote:

    > "Ken Kobayashi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]t...
    > > On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 03:50:23 GMT, "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I don't need to beg special permission from Bacchetta when there are dozens of manufacturers
    > > >quite willing to do business with me. They will be the ones getting my money.
    > >
    > > I personally think it's your own loss to limit your options arbitrarily, but it's your choice.
    > >
    > > FWIW many upright manufacturers have "no mail order" policies. Trek and Cannondale do, at least.
    > > I seem to recall Dave Doty getting into some trouble with Trek for his R200 closeout deal.
    > >
    > > Ken Kobayashi [email protected]r.mtk.nao.ac.jp http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/
    > >===============
    >
    > Ken, I heard from a pretty reliable source that wasn't Dave Doty that without recumbents the Trek
    > dealership wasn't worth the price of a postage stamp terminating the dealer agreement.
    >
    > I'm not in the business but I am an old marketing guy. I personally don't see why Bachetta wants
    > to make dealers or would be dealers jump through a lot of hoops to make a sale.
    >
    > My hat is off to the Hostel Shoppe. I hope they get rich and famous with their new bikes.
    > Proactive business rox.
    >
    > Rod Kuehl RANS V2 Challenge Wizard Riverview, FL

    Hostel Shoppe is a quality business. I've bought two bikes from them by mail order and lots of parts
    and accessories. They are the first place I'll look when I want a new bike. Because they will sell
    to me regardless of where I live. No discrimination.

  20. "Calhoun Cycle > Recumbents & Folders" wrote:

    > > You want to tell me who in Yreka, CA will sell me a Bacchetta? No one,
    > > that's who. There is no bike shop.
    >
    > Ouch. I didn't mean to pick a fight. I was just sharing my opinion that Bacchetta has chosen a
    > business plan which is not rooted in discrimation, but rather in an attempt to get consumers good
    > service and at the same time potentially grow more local recumbent shops. I didn't mean to imply
    > that all people have a LBS. But I would contend that most do.
    >
    > Although they may not be to your liking Yreka does list two bicycle shops which could get you a
    > Bacchetta: Shasta Valley Bikes and Chain Reaction Sports. If you want options, you'd need to
    > travel 30 miles to Ashland, OR where there are a dozen shops to choose from. In my mind, 30 miles
    > isn't that big of a deal. Perhaps we disagree on what defines "local."
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mary Breen
    >
    > Calhoun Cycle > Recumbent & Folding Bicycles 3342 Hennepin Ave. S. Minneapolis, MN 55408
    >
    > http://www.calhouncycle.com

    Your info is way out of date. Shasta Valley Bikes was a nice little shop that lasted about a year
    before folding. Chain Reaction Sports was a very small sideline to a shop that sold fishing, archery
    and golf supplies. I wouldn't trust the guy who ran it to be able to change a tire much less set up
    a new bike, and besides, it's out of business too. The nearest bike shop in Ashland is 44 miles away
    on the other side of a major mountain pass. That's sure as hell not local to someone without a car.
    Or do you contend that you need a car to buy a bike? Even if I did, why should I have to go out of
    town when I can get dozens of makes of bikes delivered to my door? Plenty of people willing to
    provide good service to rural America without discrimination. Too bad Bacchetta isn't one of them.