New bike - need advice

nomad_1998

Dec 12, 2005
Hi all,

I am in need of some advice for selecting a bike. I will be using this bike to ride to uni which is about 12km from where I live. Also I will also be using it to go mountain bike orienteering. Lastly where I live can get pretty hilly.

The guy at the bike shop said a Trek 3900 should do the trick but I think he is full of **** and I am wanting to get a second opion. If anyone could give me some advice I would greatly appreaciate it.

Thanks for your help, Cheers
Adam

nomad_1998 said:
Hi all,

I am in need of some advice for selecting a bike. I will be using this bike to ride to uni which is about 12km from where I live. Also I will also be using it to go mountain bike orienteering. Lastly where I live can get pretty hilly.

The guy at the bike shop said a Trek 3900 should do the trick but I think he is full of **** and I am wanting to get a second opion. If anyone could give me some advice I would greatly appreaciate it.

Thanks for your help, Cheers
Adam

Hi Adam

Key question - do you have a budget - would you consider second hand? You can typically get a bike for c 60% of new if you go the second hand route - personally I like Rocky Mountain or Kona bikes - Scott can also be good Trek a tad unexciting.

If you are student do you have secure place to keep it ? May be worth not getting a new shiny bike as it could get knicked...

Front suspension would be very wise and get as good a frame as you can - after Uni you can invest in serious technology perhaps.

Anyway enjoy your riding

Cooperman