New bike, new saddle, sore butt!

OkiePhlyer

Feb 3, 2017
Oklahoma
I bought a used Giant Cypress last summer to begin riding again. It has a Bontrager Commutergel saddle. I carried tools with me for about a month while riding and making adjustments. Finally I got everything set where I wanted it. The whole time on that bike while making those initial adjustments my butt never felt sore after I had completed a ride. There were moments while riding when I would stop and make an adjustment, but after finishing I felt fine.
Fast forward to last week...I upgraded and bought bought a Giant Defy 1 that came with a Fizik Arione saddle. The first couple of rides were not very long, but the saddle seemed to be a little uncomfortable. yesterday I rode 21 miles, and the last 2-3 were pretty uncomfortable. When I finished my butt was really sore. I even limped a little while walking for about 30 min afterward.

My question is this: Am I sore because of the different geometry of the two bikes and have to get used to the new riding style, or is the saddle on the road bike just not playing nice and needs to be replaced? Should I stick it out and try to make more adjustments?

I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs if that helps.

Compare your Arione saddle width and the amount of roll-off on the wings with your old Bontrager saddle. Arione's come in several widths and are generally regarded as a very good saddle. That said, the one you have may or may not fit your posterior and saddle preference is about THE single most subjective area in all of cycling.

The Cypress is an upright riding position, flat bar bike with a shock absorber style fork. The Defy is a drop bar road bike with a rougher ride and a more rotated forward at the pelvis and lower head/shoulders riding position. There will be adjustments your body has to make to use that position.

Still, there is absolutely NO reason it has to be uncomfortable and under no circumstances should it be painful.

I would try a few more rides on the Arione and see if you 'break in' to it. This may also require some more adjustments in saddle height, fore-to-aft sliding of the saddle in the seatpost clamp and maybe a SLIGHT downward tilt to the nose of the saddle. I would use a level and start with the saddle as close to horizontal as possible.

You might also experiment with your handlebar position, both the height using the spacers to raise it up or lower it and perhaps a longer stem or a shorter stem to stretch yourself out a bit or to bring the bars in closer. Raising the stem and using a shorter stem with generally result in sitting you more upright and rotating your pelvis back a bit.

Lastly, it might be a good idea to have experienced riders critique your position on the bike while riding. Are your hips rocking from the saddle being too high? Are your arms forced into an elbows locked position because the bars are too low? Etc. You might benefit from paying for a bike fitting session if there's a good fitter in your vicinity.

I really appreciate the reply. I was pretty frustrated yesterday after my ride. I'm supposed to do a week long ride across several states in May, and the way it feels currently won't do for those 100 mile days. I'll keep tinkering and see what happens. If I can't make it work then there may be a gently used Arione show up in the classifieds.
Thanks again!

I really appreciate the reply. I was pretty frustrated yesterday after my ride. I'm supposed to do a week long ride across several states in May, and the way it feels currently won't do for those 100 mile days. I'll keep tinkering and see what happens. If I can't make it work then there may be a gently used Arione show up in the classifieds.
Thanks again!

I use an Arione (00), for me THE best saddle I ever had, but then as stated. it is a personal matter.

You can try to measure your sit bones. There are several techniques, search the Web/U tube, and see if it compares with the saddle width.

Another important matter (for me) is the Bibshort or rather the Chamois you are using.
Invest in a good one (= more expensive)

And as already stated, give it time to break in.

Last, maybe less important, I also have a good carbon(!) seatpost.

Thanks again!

I forgot to mention that Fizik uses 3 types saddles for 3 types of cyclist, they call it The Spine Concept:

Snake (me) = Arione saddle
Chameleon = Antares saddle
Bull = Aliante saddle

Maybe you are not a Snake.

See their website

I forgot to mention that Fizik uses 3 types saddles for 3 types of cyclist, they call it The Spine Concept:

Snake (me) = Arione saddle
Chameleon = Antares saddle
Bull = Aliante saddle

Maybe you are not a Snake.

See their website

I measured my sit bones and the edges of the Arione saddle are about 1/4" wider than the center of my sit bones. I'm guessing it's a little narrow for me if I'm sitting on the edges.

Edit: After looking at the website it looks like I'm a large Chameleon. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll start shopping for a new saddle.

Last edited:
I decided to just try the Bontrager saddle from the hybrid on the Defy just to see if the wider saddle on the bike made a difference. It made a big difference. Much more comfortable than the narrower saddle. I don't think it will stay on there permanently, but I can use it until I find something more suitable.

Many thanks for all the advice and tips from those that responded.

I have never tried a recumbent, and have only seen a few. They look like they would be comfortable. I did put on a new saddle this evening and plan to give it a spin tomorrow. Hopefully it will be better than what I have now.