New Bike/Not So New Biker

hyperliterate

Apr 21, 2013
Years ago, I used to bike a lot, but running was my fitness activity of choice. Having had a recent total hip replacement, I plan to resume biking with a vengeance. I've been researching bikes online at the manufacturers' web sites. Trek Madone 4.5, Cannondale Super Six 5 105, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, Giant Defy Advanced 2 all seem comparable and I imagine that I would be satisfied with any of them. I intend to road test some, or all, of them to see which one I like best at local bike shops. (I will buy locally because if they are willing to help educate me and allow me test rides, they deserve my business). I'd like your opinions on these bikes, and their manufacturers, and can you explain for me just what are the differences between "elite road bikes" like the Cannondale Super Six and "performance road bikes" like the Synapse?

There's nothing that makes any one of those brands inherently better than another brand. They just happen to be well known, big brands that have sold some great bikes. The difference between "elite" bikes like the Super Six and the Synapse is generally the bikes like the Synapse tend to have a shorter top tube for a given size, a longer head tube for a given size, maybe a longer wheelbase, as well as other geometry and construction differences that result in a bike that has a bit more or a relaxed fit for riders (i.e. more upright), a more comfy ride feel, and perhaps a bit less aggressive handling than race bikes typically have. A lot of brands offer such bikes (Trek's Domane, Specialized's Roubaix, Giant's Defy....).

There's nothing that makes any one of those brands inherently better than another brand. They just happen to be well known, big brands that have sold some great bikes. The difference between "elite" bikes like the Super Six and the Synapse is generally the bikes like the Synapse tend to have a shorter top tube for a given size, a longer head tube for a given size, maybe a longer wheelbase, as well as other geometry and construction differences that result in a bike that has a bit more or a relaxed fit for riders (i.e. more upright), a more comfy ride feel, and perhaps a bit less aggressive handling than race bikes typically have. A lot of brands offer such bikes (Trek's Domane, Specialized's Roubaix, Giant's Defy....).

What Alienator said. Really.

You just have to ride a few and make up your mind. From the major brands, there are really no bad bikes, just bikes that some riders prefer over others.

Find a bike that you like at a shop that you like and go riding.

You're on the right track with buying a reputable name brand, backed by excellent warranties. All of the ones you're looking at fit that bill, as well as others---Specialized and Felt, among them. You want something that fits well, rides well, and has a lifetime warranty on the frame, backed by a company with a reputation for fairly handling warranty claims. You can't go wrong with the 4 big names in that regard. Yeah, they're "common and pedestrian", and lack the cachet of a sexy foreign name, but those companies tend to stand behind what they sell.