New Bike or New Components?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by atrain63, Sep 10, 2006.

1. atrain63

atrain63 New Member

Need some advice..........my current ride is a trek sl 1000 alum frame and carb fork and seat post, sora shifters, 2203 front derail, and tiagra rear. VERY VERY entry level. bought the bike for $600. it is now eight months later and i have basically got too good for the bike. to me when racing in either crits or road it feels too heavy. (this sucker weighs 22.5lbs by the way!) i am wondering if i went all carbon and better components would better benefit me more than just rigging my current bike with 105 components.

thanks for any replies

Tags:

2. senator52

senator52 New Member

My advice is that if you already feel you have outgrown the bike, which is common to do within a year on the lower entry level bikes, then it would be more sensible to upgrade onto a new ride. Buying an entire new 105 groupset (which would certainly have its own benefits) will provide less bang for your buck in comparison to buying a whole new bike equipped with 105. Yes, that requires quite a bit more money but moving from the old 1000 to a new bike will have a far greater long term benefit and you will be more content with the move in a few years when you decide you should have upgraded the bike anyway.

3. dm69

dm69 New Member

First off the bike isn't holding you back. Spend as much as you want or give the money to me :p . You should work out whether your a lover of bikes or a lover of racing/ training. Depending on this I would recommend a totally new bike or a powermeter.

Personally I would get a PM. If you can afford a good bike and a PM go for it!

4. Carrera

Carrera New Member

Why not do as I do with my Carrera. Use it for those days when there's grit on the road or maybe very rainy. Invest in a top-notch bike but use that one for decent weather.

5. Mish

Mish New Member

Turn the Trek into a fixed gear for fun and whatever training benefit comes with it and buy another bike. I do the ebay thing and have been blessed with great bikes at a great value.

6. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

My vote says keep it as a beater bike, or sell if you can find a buyer. Don't mess around with upgrading, because you'll spend a lot of money and time, and still want that light CF wonderbike anyway.

The lighter bike will feel quicker and more responsive. Just don't expect that saving 4-5 lbs is going to take you from the back of the pack to podium finishes overnight.

7. vic32amg

vic32amg New Member

I would love to say " Support your local LBS" but my local LBS was selling my bike that I got on ebay for 1350.00 for 2200.00. with prices like that they will need to support me.

I bought my bike off ebay for under 1500 shipped to my doorstep. full carbon with combo 105/ultegra components.

(tarmac comp) Brand new in the box from the fatory with all bubble wrap and factory stickers and stuff. like x-mas in june.

I would buy a new bike on Ebay and sell your old one for a couple bucks if you need to.

edit:I'm kinda in the same scenario - I am wondering if I should upgrade to D/A comppnents or would buying a different buke help. I heard the frame I have is more than adequate and a upgrade of components would be fine and more benificial than upgrading the entire rig.

8. Mish

Mish New Member

Upgrade as the components need it. Do the wheels now. Ultegra works as well as D/A, might last longer, and the weight difference is very little.

I got a Titanium Lemond Tete De Course for $1500 used with D/A on Ebay. If you don't mind some wrenching, used bikes can be a great deal.

9. KellyT

KellyT New Member

Sora shifters are annoying crap (IMO) and would be well worth getting rid of. I would be tempted to upgrade (I like 105 gear kit myself), or if you really feel the need, upgrade to a better Trek. The first I Trek I bought is still a great bike and a really enjoyable ride. Although I have bought a few bikes since, I see the more expensive bikes as being more different than they are better. Being slightly heavy is only going to make a genuine difference if you are doing a fair bit of climbing, otherwise you shouldn't get over focused on bike weight.