New bike - paralysis by analysis

pgerstenfeld

Sep 1, 2010
I am probably thinking about this too much, but I am trying to buy my first road bike. My goal is to ride in some local rallies (complete, not win) and next year ride in HH100. My two options are a 2010 Novara Strada (REI branded bike with a complete shimano 105 grupo) for $900 or a used 2004 Specialized Sequoia (standard, not elite so it has shimano sora/tiagra components) for $600. I am torn because the Strada has the better components, but the Specialized has the name and lower cost. The Specialized belongs to a friend so he is letting me try it out meaning there is not a huge hurry to decide, but I am leaning toward the Strada because in my test ride at the store it was very nice. What does everyone think?

This would boil down to fit and ride. If you like the Novara Strada and it's in your price range, go for it. There is nothing better than a brand new bike. But the Specialized could be upgraded to 105 for the price difference. If you are getting it from REI the Scott S30 is a great bike along with the CAAD8 6 if you want a triple.

Thank you for the feedback. I have not ridden the specialized yet. Its been raining since I picked it up :( I guess once it clears up, I'll try it out and see how I like it compared to the Novara