New Bike, question about components

KMKS

Aug 3, 2004
Hi all, I just bought my first bike, a used bianchi volpe. It seems to be in great shape, it has all shimano RSX components from the STI levers down to the hubs and skewers. I did a lot of research before buying and never ran across anything about RSX. Any opinions or warnings about this? I'm definitely keeping it for a while, but i'd be interested in what/how to upgrade. I already noticed that it was a bit tough shifting going uphill, but that may be settled w/ a tune-up. General used bike advice also welcome! Thanks!

KMKS said:
Hi all, I just bought my first bike, a used bianchi volpe. It seems to be in great shape, it has all shimano RSX components from the STI levers down to the hubs and skewers. I did a lot of research before buying and never ran across anything about RSX. Any opinions or warnings about this? I'm definitely keeping it for a while, but i'd be interested in what/how to upgrade. I already noticed that it was a bit tough shifting going uphill, but that may be settled w/ a tune-up. General used bike advice also welcome! Thanks!

Bianchi makes good bikes (I know because I have one and race it 86 strada lx). Take care of it, have fun, do not be afraid to work on it ... but make sure you do your research before you start a project. Ask a lot of questions. I am not familiar with RSX so I can not help there, but a quick google search found me this http://www.cycledisciple.com/Asks/askRSX.htm

Pete

Ah, you're a better googler than me, all i was getting was RSX components for sale, thanks pete!

big Pete said:
Bianchi makes good bikes (I know because I have one and race it 86 strada lx). Take care of it, have fun, do not be afraid to work on it ... but make sure you do your research before you start a project. Ask a lot of questions. I am not familiar with RSX so I can not help there, but a quick google search found me this http://www.cycledisciple.com/Asks/askRSX.htm

Pete

KMKS said:
RSX was the bottom end in Shimanos STI lineup. Available as either 7 or 8 speed.
Why buy a low end bike and then start throwing money at upgrades?Just ride it. Advice on used bikes:ask questions before buying,not after.

KMKS said:

A fresh set of cables and some lube in the right places might do wonders for your shifting.

Thanks boudreaux, like i said, i wasn't planning to upgrade, just wondering what options were out there. If i could just toss a 105 derailleur on there that i can pick up for 30 bucks, would that make my shifting smoother? You're right though, i'm not going to toss 300 bucks at upgrading the whole thing.

I also actually didn't mean advice on buying a used bike, i meant advice on maintaining a used bike. As in, should i just take this thing to my LBS and get a tuneup immediately? Is there some sort of standard maintenence i should perform right now as I'm sure it was fairly neglected by the previous owner (looks barely used).

Thanks meehs, will look into that...

KMKS said:
If i could just toss a 105 derailleur on there that i can pick up for 30 bucks, would that make my shifting smoother? You're right though, i'm not going to toss 300 bucks at upgrading the whole thing.

No not unless the one that is on ther is wore out or buggered.Besides, the 8 speed RSX stuff was just rebdged 105 8 speed .

Cool, good to know boudreaux. It all rides fine right now, just the shifting's a little clunky, probably just needs some TLC like meehs said. Can't wait to ride tonight!