new bike question ....again...sorry...Ironhorse

gaza

Guest
New to this group but have been lurking around trying to pick up some info.
I am an active bushwalker and our club has a sub group of bike enthusiasts
who basically have stuffed knees etc from bushwalking and are keeping active
with bike riding.
They are a great group of people and have some real interesting rides I
would like to participate in. Most rides are around 50 to 100k and all use
mountain or hybrid type bikes. The rides where possible are on quite country
roads or fire trails etc. Nothing speedy but also nothing real radical.
I,ve been looking at second hand bikes etc but haven't found much to
interest me yet....I've discovered to look for brands starting with "G"
until today.
Rebel Sports are having a 25% off sale on Ironhorse Bikes. A friend bought
one and is very happy with it....unfortunately I can't remember the model
number but it was a pretty yellow, with front suspension and a 21.5" frame
(I'm about the same height/weight)
RRP was about $700 and he got it for about $540. This would be my top price
to pay for a bike...Any pro/cons if this is a good/bad buy and good/bad
bike.
It won't be for serious bushbashing...probably 75% bitumen 25% dirt.
thanks

PS...I think this may have been the bike, but not sure
http://www.ironhorsebikes.com

Did the round of a few bike shops and came up with these mid priced bikes.

TREK 3700
About $420

GIANT Boulder SE
$469

IRONHORSE
Maverick Deluxe $525
Warrior 2003 $560

SCOTT Yecora
$750

I'm starting to get bike educated but get lost when basically every salesman
says they have "shimano gears"

I liked the Boulder SE for $469 and it seemed good value for money.

I'm not going to be racing up and down mountains....just the occasional dirt
road or off track stuff.

Any comments/negatives on the above???? The Scott is out of my price range.

Thanks....

"gaza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> TREK 3700
> GIANT Boulder SE
> IRONHORSE
> SCOTT Yecora

Trek are generally accepted to be reasonable bike makers
as are Giant. I've never heard of Ironhorse. Scott have
recently (2-ish years AFAIK) come into Oz, some of their
bikes have received good reviews but then, most bikes
generally do in magazines.

I think one of the guys at work has a Boulder, I'll try and
find out what he thinks, although he's been off the bike for
some time now with a shoulder operation.

Narrow to your price range or a little above, then ride
them all and note what you like/dislike and consider
how the bike will be used. Then go into the shop and
see if they can accomodate your needs.
You might be able to get a slightly more expensive bike
that's better for you if you are willing to haggle.
Although I can't be too sure, these bikes will probably
perform much the same with some having slightly better
components.
For 50-100k rides you want something comfortable.
This is hard to tell on a parking lot ride out the back of
a bike shop, but consider anything annoying multiplied
over 50-100k's...

Just msn'd the dude with the Giant and he loves it.
Mentioned it has a cheap stem and forks and the
seat is a bit of a pain in the butt (literally) but he
doesn't do that much riding.

hth
hippy

P.S. You have stuffed knees from bushwalking and want
to take up riding?!? :)

> Just msn'd the dude with the Giant and he loves it.
> Mentioned it has a cheap stem and forks and the
> seat is a bit of a pain in the butt (literally) but he
> doesn't do that much riding.
>
> hth
> hippy

Thanks for the feedback.....after research and looking around I've just
about settled on the Giant anyway.
Interesting that my local bike shop has the Boulder SE for $499 and hinted
he may do a deal. A bit further afield they are reduced from $499 to $469.
Both shops said new models coming soon and I should be able to get old stock
cheaper over the next month or so.
Went to another bike shop yesterday and he wanted to sell me an Avanti which
I hadn't looked at before.
Made a casual enquiry about the Boulder SE and he said it was a good bike
but just sold his last one.
Looked up catologue and said he could get me the 2004 model for $425 less a
further 10% discount for my Bushwalking club.mmmmmmmm
Has he made a mistake...not too sure. I'll pop in on the way to work today
and ask him the price for next model up, The RINCON.
If that's still in my price range I'll get the Rincon....if not I'll grab
the Boulder SE (at least $100 cheaper than the first shop)

"gaza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Went to another bike shop yesterday and he wanted to sell me an Avanti

which
> I hadn't looked at before.

I have one.. a little bit out of your price range though. I like it a
lot.
It's done everything: commute, triathlons, xc

> Looked up catologue and said he could get me the 2004 model for $425

less a
> further 10% discount for my Bushwalking club.mmmmmmmm

Sounds good. You could either use the money you save to buy accesories
or you could go for the next model up (if it had worthwhile upgrades).

> Has he made a mistake...not too sure. I'll pop in on the way to work

today

Maybe he just wants to offload them for the new models. There
is a substantial markup on bikes and bike parts as far as I'm
aware.

> and ask him the price for next model up, The RINCON.
> If that's still in my price range I'll get the Rincon....if not I'll

grab
> the Boulder SE (at least $100 cheaper than the first shop)

Find out the price difference and the parts difference between them.
The frames would be the same I'm pretty sure - it's only when they
get higher up the range and start adding disc brake mounts that the
frames change. Consult the bike shop or the Giant catalog.

hth
hippy

> The Rincon usually retails for $599, but if you bargain you should be
> able to get a reasonable chunk off that - at least 10%. It brings the
> price much closer to $500. I have a Rincon and I've been very pleased
> with it.

Thanks.....I can get the RINCON for $549 less 10%.....will probably order
one.