New bike question.

Smcvaugh

Dec 4, 2014
looking to get my first road bike. have 3 options.

1. 2011 Felt f75 . $750
105 gear set
2. 2013 Specialized Allez Elite. $850
Tiagra gear set
3. 2014 Giant Defy 2. $800
Tiagra gear set

looking for a good bike to learn on.

hello: D I advise you this is really nice http://www.tecnobici.com/shop/index.php?id_product=1631&controller=product

Where are you located?

OK, let's assume that the Felt is a used bike, and not one that's left over from another model year that the shop still has on the floor. And that both the Giant and Specialized are new and left over from past years. They are all good bikes, but the Giant is the best value.The Allez is now 2 model years old, and $850 is too much for a bike that probably retailed for $1200-$1300 in 2013.

Also, I'm not sure if you understand the differences in frame geometry, but the Defy is what's known as an "endurance" geometry frame, which means a more upright riding position, whereas the Felt and Allez are more race-oriented "aggressive" geometry frames. You need to ride both styles to see which one suits you better.

Originally Posted by mpre53

Also, I'm not sure if you understand the differences in frame geometry, but the Defy is what's known as an "endurance" geometry frame, which means a more upright riding position, whereas the Felt and Allez are more race-oriented "aggressive" geometry frames. You need to ride both styles to see which one suits you better.
The Felt F75 is definitely a race-geometry bike. The Allez cockpit is quite upright in comparison, not as tall as a Roubaix, but Roubaix is in a league of its own. If you like upright, your choice will be between the Defy and the Allez.

So the Felt was a left over, not new, but there was a recall on the forks so I wasn't comfortable with it. I test road the Giant, as well as a 2014 Giant Defy 2 carbon. I went with the Carbon for $1300

Originally Posted by Smcvaugh
I test road the Giant, as well as a 2014 Giant Defy 2 carbon. I went with the Carbon for $1300
Nice move, smart shopper. Happy trails.