New bike questions

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Doug Kanter, Apr 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter Guest

I'm looking to replace my thousand year old racing bike. I just visited a bike specialty shop, and
    came away with questions:

1) My target price range is $200-$400 (-ish). Everything this store carried in that range was made
    in China (Trek or Trex or something like that), something I'd like to avoid for political/human
    reasons. Is it possible to find bikes made elsewhere, in that range, that don't fall into the
    category of junk?

2) Purpose: 90% paved road, riding to work, but will see some use in places like the Erie Canal
    trail, which alternates between paved and pea gravel.

3) Regardless of where a bike's made, is my price range realistic, in terms of getting a decently
    made bike?

4) Anyone have any first-hand experience with Trek bikes?

5) Other recommendations in that price range?

Weight's not that much of a concern, since virtually everything I'm seeing is much lighter than
    my old bike.

-Doug

Tags:

2. Harris

Harris Guest

Doug Kanter <[email protected]> wrote:

> 5) Anyone have any first-hand experience with Trek bikes?

Not personally, but Lance Armstrong has won four consecutive Tours de France on stock Trek bikes.

Art Harris

3. Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter Guest

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Doug Kanter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > 5) Anyone have any first-hand experience with Trek bikes?
    >
    > Not personally, but Lance Armstrong has won four consecutive Tours de France on stock Trek bikes.
    >
    > Art Harris
    >

No shit!?! Hmmm........

4. Archer

Archer Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Doug Kanter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > 5) Anyone have any first-hand experience with Trek bikes?
    > >
    > > Not personally, but Lance Armstrong has won four consecutive Tours de France on stock Trek
    > > bikes.
    > >
    > > Art Harris
    > >
    >
    > No shit!?! Hmmm........

Yes, it's true; he rides a Trek 5900, 53cm (IIRC). You could walk into a Trek dealer and walk out
    with his exact bike if you wanted to spend the money. They make good bikes in a wide range of price
    levels, though I don't know if they go all the way down to $200. They do have some under $500, IIRC.

--
    David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord,
    it's morning".

Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

5. Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs Guest

>5) Anyone have any first-hand experience with Trek bikes?

Yes. I have had a few over the years. Trek is a big company but probably the only big US company
    left that actually designs and manufacturers bicycles. The rest are mostly marketers/importers.

Make good bikes and they stand behind their product.

I believe some manufacturing is done in Taiwan if that is better for you.

jon isaacs

6. Slider2699

Slider2699 Guest

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >5) Anyone have any first-hand experience with Trek bikes?
    >
    > Yes. I have had a few over the years. Trek is a big company but probably
    the
    > only big US company left that actually designs and manufacturers bicycles.
    The
    > rest are mostly marketers/importers.
    >

What about Cannondale?

7. [email protected] (Harris) wrote:

Doug Kanter <[email protected]> wrote:

>5) Anyone have any first-hand experience with Trek bikes?

Not personally, but Lance Armstrong has won four consecutive Tours de France on stock Trek bikes.

Art Harris

He sure did, Art, but I'll bet they cost a lot more than the $300-$400 Doug's looking for! LOL!!!

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

8. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> writes:
    > I'm looking to replace my thousand year old racing bike. I just visited a bike specialty shop, and
    > came away with questions:
    >
    > 1) My target price range is $200-$400 (-ish). Everything this store carried in that range was made
    > in China (Trek or Trex or something like that), something I'd like to avoid for political/human
    > reasons.

I know whatcha mean, but I'm sorta torn about that. On the one hand, I don't like supporting
    totalitarian regimes; on the other, Chinese workers gotta eat, too. And even if you get
    something with a "Made in <wherever>" tag on it, there's no telling where the ingredients _they_
    used, came from.

> Is it possible to find bikes made elsewhere, in that range, that don't fall into the category
    > of junk?

There are still some Canadian Raleighs kickin' around.

> 2) Purpose: 90% paved road, riding to work, but will see some use in places like the Erie Canal
    > trail, which alternates between paved and pea gravel.

I hate riding over pea gravel. The crunchy noise sets my teeth on edge <g>

> 3) Regardless of where a bike's made, is my price range realistic, in terms of getting a decently
    > made bike?

Yes, but the upgrade path might be a short one -- not because the quality of the parts peters out,
    but a point is reached where one ends up trying to make a silk purse out of a ... vinyl purse. Yet,
    the cheap one can be more functional than the fancy one.

> 5) Anyone have any first-hand experience with Trek bikes?

Yeah, and I've got a profound respect for 'em. Except for when they went to those black handlebars
    and stems. Now, cheap knock-offs have black paint covering their inferior, rustable steel parts.

> 6) Other recommendations in that price range?

I think the Trek 800 Sport is an excellent starter. Some folks here don't like the wheels much,
    though -- particularly for heavier riders. The wheels are plain, ol' 36-spokers. If you're under 200
    lbs, you'd be okay.

The Navigator is nice, too.

I wouldn't mind a new Norco Mountaineer with the crappy RST suspension fork removed, and a rigid,
    (Norco) Scorcher fork stuck in there instead.

> Weight's not that much of a concern, since virtually everything I'm seeing is much lighter than my
    > old bike.

Like I said -- some Canadian Raleighs are still kickin' around :)

cheers, Tom

--
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

9. Ken

Ken Guest

"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > 1) My target price range is $200-$400 (-ish). Everything this store carried in that range was made
    > in China (Trek or Trex or something like that), something I'd like to avoid for political/human
    > reasons. Is it possible to find bikes made elsewhere, in that range, that don't fall into the
    > category of junk?

Many low end bikes are made in Taiwan. There is a huge difference between Taiwan and communist
    China. Cannondale is probably the cheapest that is made in the USA (though most compoents are made
    in Japan).

10. Chin Chan

Chin Chan Guest

Eventhough Trek and other companies assembled or built their bikes in China, the profits still go
    back to the shareholders in US. The workers there get peanuts.

Tom Keats <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> writes:
    >> I'm looking to replace my thousand year old racing bike. I just visited a bike specialty shop,
    >> and came away with questions:
    >>
    >> 1) My target price range is $200-$400 (-ish). Everything this store carried in that range was
    >> made in China (Trek or Trex or something like that), something I'd like to avoid for
    >> political/human reasons.

> I know whatcha mean, but I'm sorta torn about that. On the one hand, I don't like supporting
    > totalitarian regimes; on the other, Chinese workers gotta eat, too. And even if you get
    > something with a "Made in <wherever>" tag on it, there's no telling where the ingredients _they_
    > used, came from.

>> Is it possible to find bikes made elsewhere, in that range, that don't fall into the category
    >> of junk?

> There are still some Canadian Raleighs kickin' around.

>> 2) Purpose: 90% paved road, riding to work, but will see some use in places like the Erie Canal
    >> trail, which alternates between paved and pea gravel.

> I hate riding over pea gravel. The crunchy noise sets my teeth on edge <g>

>> 3) Regardless of where a bike's made, is my price range realistic, in terms of getting a decently
    >> made bike?

> Yes, but the upgrade path might be a short one -- not because the quality of the parts peters out,
    > but a point is reached where one ends up trying to make a silk purse out of a ... vinyl purse.
    > Yet, the cheap one can be more functional than the fancy one.

>> 5) Anyone have any first-hand experience with Trek bikes?

> Yeah, and I've got a profound respect for 'em. Except for when they went to those black handlebars
    > and stems. Now, cheap knock-offs have black paint covering their inferior, rustable steel parts.

>> 6) Other recommendations in that price range?

> I think the Trek 800 Sport is an excellent starter. Some folks here don't like the wheels much,
    > though -- particularly for heavier riders. The wheels are plain, ol' 36-spokers. If you're under
    > 200 lbs, you'd be okay.

> The Navigator is nice, too.

> I wouldn't mind a new Norco Mountaineer with the crappy RST suspension fork removed, and a rigid,
    > (Norco) Scorcher fork stuck in there instead.

>> Weight's not that much of a concern, since virtually everything I'm seeing is much lighter than
    >> my old bike.

> Like I said -- some Canadian Raleighs are still kickin' around :)

> cheers, Tom

> --
    > -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    > [point] bc [point] ca

11. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>, Chin Chan <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >
    > Eventhough Trek and other companies assembled or built their bikes in China, the profits still go
    > back to the shareholders in US. The workers there get peanuts.

At least, they get an income _at all_.

"Peanuts" is better than nothing.

Having a job is better than not having a job.

That said, I don't like to see anybody being ripped-off or heinously exploited. But what's even
    worse, is seeing people having to go hungry because nobody will let them get any wherewithal.
    Period. Sanctions/embargos/boycotts often victimize the "little guy" too much, while the overlords
    have their workarounds. It's not fair. But, that's what we're stuck with (and always have been, and
    always will be). Capitalists like to euphemistically call that effect: "opportunity". Now, suddenly,
    I'm recalling Clavell's "King Rat". And "Dogs", off of Pink Floyd's "Animals".

What a sad world we live in.

What a bad mess we've made.

cheers, Tom

--
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

12. On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:33:11 +0000, Tom Keats wrote:

> I think the Trek 800 Sport is an excellent starter. Some folks here don't like the wheels much,
    > though -- particularly for heavier riders. The wheels are plain, ol' 36-spokers. If you're under
    > 200 lbs, you'd be okay.
    >
    As opposed to what? Boutique wheels are _less_ appropriate for a 200-pound plus rider than "plain,
    ol' 36-spokers".

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve _`\(,_ | death. And some that die
    deserve life. Can you give it to (_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in
    judgement. -- J. R. R. Tolkein

13. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:
    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:33:11 +0000, Tom Keats wrote:
    >
    >> I think the Trek 800 Sport is an excellent starter. Some folks here don't like the wheels much,
    >> though -- particularly for heavier riders. The wheels are plain, ol' 36-spokers. If you're under
    >> 200 lbs, you'd be okay.
    >>
    > As opposed to what? Boutique wheels are _less_ appropriate for a 200-pound plus rider than "plain,
    > ol' 36-spokers".

That's what I'd like to know! But awhile back, I suggested an 800 Sport to a somewhat heavyweight,
    and was sorta taken to task on the basis, the wheels aren't good enough. But chances are tney know
    what they're talking about more than I know what I'm talking about, so I defer to them. After all,
    it ain't about who's right ... it's about getting people onto bikes. And keeping them there.

cheers, Tom

--