New Bike recomendation

mat2005

Oct 24, 2005
hello there,

Can anyone reccommend me a decent road bike for city use?

I will be using it everyday for work in the hope of it getting me fit plus riding it at weekends.

I've not been on a bike for 15 years since my BMX days. What's out there now?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheap way to get into the cycling would be one of those used ten speed bikes from the seventies.

Good steel frames last quite a while, and wheels and tires can be replaced as needed.

Go to your local bike shop (LBS) and ride a few bikes to see what you like once you get a general idea here.

I don't disagree with Huhenio, but it does depend on what you want and need to some extent.

How long is your commute each way? A drop bar bike becomes more and more important the longer the ride is.

I just bought a 1979 10 speed Schwinn Suburban I am cleaning up, and it would be a nice bike for commuting (one possibility for its usage for me). It has cruiser type handlebars.

If you want comfort, then a comfort bike is in order. My Sedona DX has done me well, and I have rode for up to 68 miles in one day on it (although my typical rides are much shorter).

How out of shape you are now could be a factor... And once you do pick a bike, the important thing is to not be too disappointed that you can't immediately ride 20 miles without stopping... improvement will come quickly if you persist.

Happy cycling!