New Bike Serotta. 1st road bike got it used what do you guys think it is worth?

ajw327

Aug 7, 2013
What do you guys think? Link below

Attachments

• IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 40
I think you linked to an image on your own computer. To share an image you need to upload the image directly or link to an image on a web server.

Thanks Oldbobcat I tried to fix it hope it is visible to you guys now

For whatever reason the link requires a download. I'll give it a try....

Appears to be an Ottrott with Kodak/Sierra Nevada paint scheme. If it is an actual team bike with rider history behind it, could be worth more than standard Ottrott. It is not equipped with team components, so it is either a replica or the frameset has been stripped at some point. What is the wheelset?

Looks to be a "short-long" frame - if significantly custom it will require the right buyer for it to fit.

Shifting market for Serotta these days. Enthusiasts may want to pick up a "real" Serotta and pay a premium for it. The general image of Serotta is being tarnished as news of Ben Serotta's departure is released. Out-the-door original price for such an Ottrott was probably $6k plus, but high-end bikes drop precipitously, including Serottas. Serotta Legend Ti is more coveted IMO.

If I had to guess, I'd say maybe $2,000 - $2,500 at the high end with potentially long sale period. $1,500 quick sale... market is fickle.

Yeah, odd looking geometry. Short leg/long torso-arm build.

Agree with Sitzmark. In my area $1,500 might even be pushing it.

Thanks for posting, sitzmark.

It's a neat older bike, say 2005 or so. The frame looks like a carbon and titanium hybrid. Maybe Serotta worked this formula longer than everybody else because the SRAM drivetrain looks newer than that.

I wonder if Secretary of State John Kerry is still riding his Serotta.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

I wonder if Secretary of State John Kerry is still riding his Serotta.
When he isn't falling off. :)

Ottrotts are still available today (or were until last week) as a full custom build. A current Ottrott frameset (carbon/Ti version) is about $8,000. As a full custom, anything someone wants is fair game - including the 2005- ish Kodak/SN paint scheme. Even so, once out the door, resale value plummets - precipitously.

OP: The whole idea behind Serotta custom is a bike uniquely tailored to one individual's preferences - geometry, ride tune (material/construction), components, accessories, etc. Not that a custom won't fit someone else, but each variation is something to work around as a pre-owned frameset. $8k is a lot to pay for a frameset to begin with, so why pay $5k for a used Serotta that isn't customized to the buyer? Status buyers (with free cash) will pay full boat and get custom - a thousand or two discount for pre-owned isn't of interest. For technical buyers Non-Serotta (and some Serotta) options exist for full custom at far less $$. For status buyers without free cash ... the resale value gets hammered. Owners do try to recover a higher resale, but it isn't unusual to see those sit on the market for a year or more. Sometimes they never sell because the original owner values the bike more than anyone is willing to pay.

I just spent the day doing mechanical support for yet another sponsored group ride. Noticed that I'm seeing more and more "fredded up" Serottas, 5-20 year-old road bikes with radical riser stems, stem extenders, flat handlebars, cruiser saddles, the works.

My guess is the old guys whose backs can't handle a Trek OCLV or a Tarmac anymore simply give them to their kids and get themselves a hybrid. The Serotta owners can't give it up, though, and go through some pretty heroic and expensive maneuvers to stay on their Serottas.